Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many on here I have been carefully considering what new tyres to get.

After reading the threads I decided to go for the Michelin PS2. However I had a quick search of the threads before placing my order and found a comment by "evodubai" saying that 235s badly affected the handling. He went back to the supplier who recomended he changed them to 225/45/17. This then fixed his problem and he sounds over the moon with the result. (Link to thread http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133308&highlight=michelin+PS2 )

Has anyone else found problems with 235's on standard Evo8MR wheels? What size should I go for?

Are there any implications re. insurance etc to putting different tyre sizes on your car?

Any comments appreciated. ;)

Thanx, David

·
Registered
345 Posts
235/45/17 are the recommended sizes.

Stick with them, IMO.

He lives in Dubai (according to his post), probably his driving style.

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,880 Posts
evodubai is talking out his arse. I'd hate to think what would happen if you had a crash and the insurance inspector saw you had smaller tyres fitted than standard.

Stick with 235s as that is what the car is designed for and they far from adversely affect the handling (I have them on mine right now).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the replies, you have confirmed what I was thinking :D

I would have had a job convincing myself that the 225's were the right ones to buy but after all the consideration about which tyre to buy, I did not want to buy the wrong size :confused:

These things are just sent to add confusion :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
The wheel width for the PS2 225/45/17 is 7" to 8.5" so there would be no problem fitting them to E8 wheels which are 8".

Details

Using 225s would give the tyre a squarer profile, which may improve the handling.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,880 Posts
spn said:
Using 225s would give the tyre a squarer profile, which may improve the handling.
So in the name of evolution they added worse tyres to later models?

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Aidy said:
So in the name of evolution they added worse tyres to later models?
I didn't say they had.

235/45/17 A046s on 8" rims are excellent and would no doubt offer more grip than a 225/45/17 version (if they made one).

However if a tyre has comparatively soft or curved side walls, fitting a narrower size can reduce the tendency of the tyre to roll. This will give different handling characteristics, which some people will prefer.

I said 'may' because I'm not sure this is the case with the PS2 and tyre characteristics are very much a personal thing.

Cheers,

Simon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts