Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
rotting Mgtf

Ive just taken my MGTF for it's 1st service, the car is less than 18months old I bought it from new it has done 5K only hardly used. The inside of the roof was going mouldy and the rear brake discs are rusting to bits.. Dealership offered to clean the mould off but said it was my fault because I dont use the car that much, Leaving it standing will let the car rot.

They said the brake discs had corroded because of the same thing, they said they would pay for one to be replaced but I would have to pay for the other, they say it is not covered by warranty and would replace one as as goodwill!!! I'm fuming I disagree the car shouldnt rot to pieces just because I dont use it in the winter. Do I have a case not to pay for replacement discs? Any advice please!!!!

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Hate to say it but shoddy engineering, poor quality materials and pathetic dealer network (all showcased nicely in your recent experience) are the reasons I fear MG Rover will not be around in 2-3 years :(

Having said that, my mum's MX5 was sitting in my garage over the winter and it got very mouldy inside and that was only for 5 months; I don't think there is much you can do to prevent it if you aren't using a soft top that much, and 5k miles in a year and a half isn't that much. The brakes were fine though and I'd expect a dealer to be a bit more understanding if they have any hope of getting any repeat business out of you!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Disagree Chunky. Although the dealer service is very hit and miss.

As to the brakes, how long was the car stood and where? Outside?
Leave a car in winter for more than a few weeks outside without it moving and the disks will begine to tarnish, a few months and they will rot - they are bare metal!

Same with the roof, if put away slightly damp, etc the material will rot. This is based on 11 years of convertible owning experience.
If you used the car once or twice each month in the winter you would not have these problems.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
chunky said:
Hate to say it but shoddy engineering, poor quality materials and pathetic dealer network (all showcased nicely in your recent experience) are the reasons I fear MG Rover will not be around in 2-3 years :(

Try two or three weeks, have you considered a career as a fortune teller :confused: ;)

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
What a joke is the design of the rear brakes. You can see clearly that the pads area exclude an outside ring that is rusting, and will do, regardless if the car is driven or not (there is simply no contact of the pads ther!).

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blo%dy no use now anyway my warranty is nil and void got 18 months of warranty left & cant use it...

But the car is on PPP does that mean it's down to the finance company... as my agreement is with them!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts