Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of background - I've owned a EVO VI - VII and VIII (deciding on an IX). But I'm also passionate about MG Rover - please don't mock!

I've owned TR8's and recently 75/ZT's and ZT V8 (while owning the rice riockets {they are very good cars - if you weren't brainwashed by Clarkson}). Still own an Austin Metro 6R4!

Anyway - we need your help - we want to let the LONGBRIDGE administrators that this company isn't quiet ready to die JUST yet!

If you can help - look at this thread: http://www.xpower-mg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22797

Moderators for once I implore you not to move this thread (this is important).

THANKS everyone - see you at RSCD with an MG ZT and 6R4!

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,799 Posts
Don't want to rain on your parade, but what Rover needs is a new buyer who won't suck it dry like P4 did, and about £100m quid. The reason it is shutting down is financial. They have no money to make cars cos the money has been spent lining the pockets of fat cats. No matter how much support there is for the cars nothing is going to change.

BTW do you know Tony G? I sit next to him at work. :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tony G - thinking!

I also agree with your analogy of wherevit may have gone wrong!

But look at a basic Lancer - its shite - a good car can be made out of a pigs ear!

OK - forget politics - just support the last bastion of the BRITISH motor industry.

I'm proud to be British, fought in 3 wars - owned Brit products (doesn't mean you can't buy an EVO too :D).

But, if its out of place here - MODS don't remove! :moon:

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
IF MR Rover was a fish, it would be twitching on the riverbank with a priest just about to smack in the head; it's inevitable it will die, and very soon too. They tried and failed to find a suitor in the last few years and because they are simply too small, they cannot remain a volume producer without a partner.

To carry on the fish analogy, ther may be some consolation that the juicy tender bits (75 platform, K-Series etc.) will end up on the plate of some other business, but at a knockdown price I believe.

I too am sad that Britain can no longer boast a volume manufacturer, especially when one considers the heritage, but you only have to look at the industrial malaise, lacklustre design and management incompetence of the last 40 years of the British car industry to see that no online petition or protest march can rescue what remains of a once great industry.

Sorry :(

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chunks - unfortunately I agree - just feel better for doing my bit!

Watch out though Mitsubishi is loosing millions too!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is it true that the Chinese have got what they want? I heard they have the rights to build the cars but have not got the robots/tools, which is apparently what they were after.

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
I reckon the 75 platform and some of the associated IP will help them skip some 3-5 years of development, they'll be snapping at the Koreans' heels in a few years and Japan not long after that. Be afraid, be very afraid!

Of course, SAIC have no interest in Longbridge, the workforce or probably even the MG brand, all except the MG badge can be gotten much cheaper and with better quality locally to them.

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
i heard on the news there is nothing left to save apart from the factory (and the poor sods jobs obvisously)

Range rover: ford
mini: bmw
finance services: pheonix (what is that all about!!!)
rover name: bmw
itellectual rights: china
technology: china

not a lot left to be putting money into really

lee :(

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Dark Destroyer said:
But Mitsi have been bought out by Chrysler...
Daimler-Chrysler are a strategic partner/affiliate and own approx 34-37% of Mitsubishi (depending on what you read)
Problem for Mitsi is that D-C won't put any more money(going back to early 2004) into the business hence the problems

re: MG- Rover
(as I said before)...only parts worth saving are 'MG' & 'Powertrain'
& something which should have been done 5 years ago

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Shanghai Automotive now own the rights to build the 75 saloon , and the 25 hatch , and also the K series engine family. The Rover name is still owned by BMW , if S.A. want to badge their Chinese built cars as Rovers (and possibly re-import them to the UK?) then they will have to negotiate with BMW for the rights to use the badge , Pheonix were allowed to use the name in a lease deal from BMW , at no cost , but they would be wanting cash off the Chinese. Pheonix (aka Mg-Rover ltd) still have the rights to the entire MG range (ZR ZS ZT ZTT TF SV and SV-R) plus strangely the Rover 75 estate.

Its at times like this I feel guilty about owning a foreign car. :(

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Well that V8 powered 75 puts out exactly 260 bhp (Ford Mustang engine) , I wouldnt mind punting a couple of grand for one of those in a few years time (new price £32,000 :eek: )

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Nice car , i took a few pics of one at a Classic Car show last year , Mg was the featured club and the local dealer had one on show , unfortunately I couldnt find a salesman to let me have a sit inside it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts