Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started getting a rather nasty clattering metal sound coming from underneath my car. It only happens occasionally when I'm going along in a straight line on little throttle. The noise is nothing to do with the engine as it goes faster with the speed of the car and stops when I stop. It makes no difference if I turn the wheel from side to side or if I accelerate.
It first started when I went through a big puddle on the A34 (which couldn't be avoided) and by the time I'd slowed down it had gone away and didn't come back for the rest of the journey. Yesterday it was chucking it down all day and did it again a few times, but we couldn't see anything clearly visable to be rubbing against a wheel or shaft etc.
Has anyone else had this or know what it might be?
Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You may have fried a wheel bearing. I've done this before in an old ford. If the bearing is not sufficiently greased and very hot as you enter the puddle,the rapid cooling may have caused it to fail. It only used to make a noise when warmed up and used to graunch and grind and make the steering tug to one side.
Whats the steering like ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr Mime
I don't think it could be a wheel bearing as the steering feels no different. The noise doesn't change either whether I turn left or right, decelerate or accelerate!

Puzzling huh.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At last sussed it out tonight. I've just had a new front pipe fitted and obviously it has moved the centre pipe over towards the driveshaft. For some reason when I go through a puddle or there is heavy rain it made the exhaust touch the balancing weight on the exhaust bracket.
SImply ground 3mm off and hey presto it's alright.

Thanks for trying

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts