Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks
I went on Mellow's extremely well executed Lakes Trip today and what a day it was. 25|PLS| Scoobs, 2 E6's, my E7 (|PLS|spacesaver), a couple or R Clios, P205's, a Honda thingy (sorry!) and approx 180 miles of the most amazing roads I have EVER driven. Mellow had reccied the route previously, provided pace notes for everyone, identified SUL stops, Lunch etc etc etc and made sure everyone (including me and the other Evos/ non Scoobs) felt welcome and a part of the day. We were set off in groups of 4 or 5 in 5 minute intervals - Groups based on ability (not meant to be patronizing here guys). I ran last with Mellow and Steve Jackson who I think is Mellow's #2 - both quick lads. Me and Mellow were at it from the off and pulled away from the pack - The bad news was 50 miles in to special stage 1 I got a puncture which cut short mine and Mellow's fun. I did suggest we all put a spacesaver on to address the balance but this seemed to fall on deaf ears :) :)
Mellow drove the wheels off the Scoob and I would have LOVED to have been ANYWHERE on that course and watched me and him go at it - The sound track alone would go straight in at #1.
If this man get's a trick E7 (which I hope he will) he will be a major contributor to the cause .
One question kept burning in my mind as I followed this guy mile after mile, WHY DON'T WE DO THIS MORE OFTEN? Better than any track day I've done so far (although there is significantly higher risk from The Cossacks/ others).
The chosen route had almost no traffic on it for the bits that mattered too - talk about luck.
We passed a couple of Cossacks in a Tranny Van and an Astra near Morcombe (I think) - You should have seen the look they gave us 3 Scoobs, an E7 and a Honda thingy (sorry again) in convoy - The last of 30 cars to go through!
Where was the North West Possie??
Moderators, I know stuff like this could potentially put The Forum's position on dodgy ground but there should be more of this kind of thing going on, on The MLR in my opinion - Properly organized of-course. Maybe there is / has been and I've just not seen it!!
I have just been told Steve Jackson had his camcorder going so I'll get a copy and post the footage (with either Blade or Simon's help).
Top day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As mentioned there were two E6`s ...mine was one of them :D

The after thoughts of the run can be found here... http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid|EQU|72993

Since coming across from scoobynet(infact i mentioned this today to Superlancer i think) the one thing i`ve noticed is that this forumn seems track day orientated, where as Scoobnet seems meet/run out orientated.Not too sure if its down to the fact that the average Evo owner has more money than the average Scooby owner or what, but what i do know is that we are defently missing out by not having these runs for the Evo`s.

Now all we need is an organiser! :D

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Julian, many thanks for your kind words, glad you enjoyed it....shame though coz you didn't experience the very best the route had to offer later in the day :(

Your motor has to be the best set up, quickest car I have come across....awesome mate...and driven with presice skill and knowhow....I wonder if it's something to do with us all growing up through the mad bikers route ???

Terrible luck with regards to the tyre...funnily enough I'd ordered an 18 spare myself in the eventuallity of a puncture like yesterday...big brakes eh....

Anyway's...Oulton on Sunday...Donnington 27th Feb....and then who knows....an EVO next ;)

An organiser you say..... ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I missed this one guys, sounds like an amazing day out.. I had a bad weekend (women etc) and due to lack of sleep, i slept in on the sunday!! :( I hope you arrange another one very soon mellow, howz about next weekend? (after oulton park!!) :)

Anyway.. Catch up withh yas all on saturday!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mellow
Cheers mate - You would be a very welcome member to the MLR should you feel the urge to turn to The Dark Side too strong!!
If you are considering a 7, my recommendation would be to drive ALL the contenders - RC's monster, Ralliart's Extreme S (which is almost what mine is) and anyone else that has a contender that I have missed. One thing I found when I was looking is that they all drive differently even though they might have the same BHP or even more on paper. Once you've found the one that best suits your driving style and application, then comes the painfull bit - spending money (well it is painfull for us Yorkshiremen!). Coming from a P1 I would suspect you would not be happy with anything that had less torque than your current car (Torque is the most important thing to me rather than BHP) so that might push you down the 360 ft/lbs minimum route.
Learned a lot about my car too yesterday and I am VERY happy with it and don't intend to mess with it anymore - Just enjoy it for what it is.
Hmmm - Mad bike route. You could be right there - Come to think of it most of the guys I know that can really drive (although this is not a pre-requisite) have come up from riding big bikes.
Keep in touch and enjoy Oulton.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just about to put that bit in and you beat it to me! :)

All the fast drivers i know, bar one, came up through the bikes route.Of course after various bikes.....GSXR-750, Fireblade, and the Ducati 996s which i sold just before Christmas i feel it can only be true!

Rich :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rich
Check out the Scoobynet! Skippy took a shot of me with the spacesaver (BEHIND MY BACK!) - We should have a caption competition here!
Super photo!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL...seen it earlier on!!!

Bloody sneeky these Subaru owners..i`ll tell ya! We`ll get `em back o the next one, i`m sure!

Rich :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SuperL

Pleased to hear such good reports of your motor. Top stuff.

Re your puncture. Some people suggest dumping the spacesaver and carrying a can of Tyre Weld instead. Would that have got you home? The advantages are more space in the boot, less weight and not being caught by Scooby photographers :) Any Thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Simon
In this instance it would have probably done me no good but your suggestion is a sound one.
Cracking day - You would have loved it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SuperL

Next on, let me know. I can use the family up North as an excuse!!

So, bottom line, is keep the space saver or you might not get home :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Simon 7

I want to try and organise a similar one along the East Coast, check out the regional meets board!

RichiW

Big Evo has also come about after taking the bike route first, GSXR750 for hubby and RGV250 for me (due to short legs!) and jnr has got a PW50 and Suzuki Quad :D train them early!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Big E
We should talk about this and you should get input from Just Custard - The roads in Lincolnshire are some of the best in the country - We could make a real top day out of this....
I am sure Mellow and the Scoob boys would be keen on this one too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds good to me. I like the idea of other makes as well, so long as it is properly organised so it doesn't get to be a I am more of a nutter than you ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts