Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you never know who's on the MLR so always worth an ask :D

I'm just about to go looking for a replacement mattress. I wake up nearly everyday exhausted, and suffer with a dull ache in my lower back after injuring it several years ago

I've been looking at the ergoflex doubles, but they seem pricey and are out of stock till next month

What should i be looking for, and avoiding, also does anyone on here sell mattress's?

Stu

·
Registered
466 Posts
You MUST try the mattresses, lay on each one for at least 10 mins, if the store is any good they will expect this. You're gonna be on this mat 8 hours a night for at least 5 years, it's gotta be right. DO NOT BY A MATTRESS FROM THE INTERNET!! it may have the same name as the one you've tried in a store and loved BUT most manufacturers do three or four different levels of mattress under the same name, you can bet you'll get the basic one from the net. Don't beleive the "harder the better" rubbish and don't let a machine choose for you (Dreams used to use a computerised bed system to tell ya), the mattress should have at least 1200 springs in a standard double, don't be fobbed off with different spring terms, box or pocket springs are the top of the range, "miracoil" "body support springs" etc are BASIC spring systems and will result in roll-together and disturbed sleep. Finally, memory foam is good but there are so many versions of this ( latex, latex free, open cell, breathable etc) you could get easily confused, and memory foam IS VERY WARM. Pocket springs have been around for over 100 years and have a proven track record, why change now? DON'T GO TO HELIBEDS, worked for them for three years, very overpriced, hard sell techniques, and they went into administratio last year. Worked in the bedding trade for 12 years and i can recommend silent night ( go for the gold or silver range not the red range), Hypnos ( expensive but great quality) or Meyers ( cheaper but still good quality ) but stick to pocket sprung. Hope all that helps ;) good luck!

·
Premium Member
22,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, cheers for that, this was the 1 i was looking at clicky only because when i search on the net,there are loads of very positive reviews

i've been to look at dreams and bensons today, and now realise there are a fair few options

I have been looking at a silent night memory foam, but i cant remember what type of springs it had, only caught my eye as it was half price :D

Stu

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just had a look at ergoflex, be careful, have you tried this mattress out? Memory foam again, will be warmer than a sprung mattress. Can also cause allergies as the skin cannot breath as easily. There are a lot of on-line sellers pushing memory foam as it comes vacuum packed and is easy for them to store and deliver, not of any benefit to the buyer. How long have they been selling this brand? What track record does it have? Also, memory foam has no frame around it so will cause roll off at the edges, if you only get the edge of the bed cos your other half likes to spread out you'll spend a lot of time on the floor ;) Oh, by the way i'm not against memory foam, i have one, but in my experience if you are getting a double or king sized for less than £1000 it's form china and re-branded, that's what HELIBEDS do! Why do you think Tempura matts cost so much if they're all the same quality?

·
Premium Member
22,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope, not tried it, i am purely going off the hundreds of online reviews. But that is my concern, as i cant try it first

Their stuff is on half price offer for a few weeks, so if it is as good as its reports, @ £350 it not too expensive, but if its a load of rubbish, then its a lot of money to waste :(

I tried a non sprung memory foam in bensons today, i know what you mean about no support round the edges, but it was comfy :D

And to top it off, i may be spending this money and it may make no difference to my sleep quality

Stu

·
Registered
466 Posts
A combination spring and foam mattress may seem like agood idea BUT the reason a lot of stores are selling them off cheap is because, deep breath, they have been out for about six years and older models are starting to show certain "issues". Imagine the inside of the mattress, you have a layer of springs and then a layer of foam on top ( basic explanation), how do you attach the springs to the foam? You can't! So what happens is over a period of a couple of years the springs rub against the foam and wear it away, leaving the mattress lumpy, uneven and you will feel the springs :( . Newer versions of this idea now put a layer of felt between the springs and the foam but this just delays the inevatable. Avoid ;) Talk to a good salesman in two or three stores and then use them to bargain against each other! Beware of internet reviews and customer comments, i had to spend three hours ever monday putting fake comments on a previous employers website, you never know whats real or not. Talk to other customers in the store to see what they think of the service, free advice!

·
Registered
324 Posts
If there is anywhere near you that sell Vi Spring beds go and have a look,i have one and they are one of the best you can buy but they dont come cheap.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My final comment is on price, £350 is quite cheap for a double mattress. If you use the bed every night for 10 years ( average life of a good mattress ) £1000 works out at 27pence a night ! I know it's the initial outlay that seems steep but it's your back and your health :) . And don't beleive sale prices, no-one buys anything at full price anymore, no-one bought it at the origional price as it was probably advertised at that price for 28 days to allow them to drop it down to what it was worth in the first place. thats what we used to do.

·
Premium Member
22,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that was my concern, as i have heard of several companies writing their own reviews

Ok, i know a bed is a personal thing, but given the choice, what would you choose, i hurt my back 15 years ago and live with a constant dull ache. its something i am aware of, rather than a problem, but because of this, i prefer a medium to firm bed over a soft bed.

My mattress is 15 years old, so i'm guessing anything will be an improvement

Stu

·
Premium Member
22,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If there is anywhere near you that sell Vi Spring beds go and have a look,i have one and they are one of the best you can buy but they dont come cheap.
My final comment is on price, £350 is quite cheap for a double mattress. If you use the bed every night for 10 years ( average life of a good mattress ) £1000 works out at 27pence a night ! I know it's the initial outlay that seems steep but it's your back and your health :) . And don't beleive sale prices, no-one buys anything at full price anymore, no-one bought it at the origional price as it was probably advertised at that price for 28 days to allow them to drop it down to what it was worth in the first place. thats what we used to do.
i understand that prices are hiked up to allow half price, initially i thought £350 was a lot for a mattress, but now i realise it is cheap.

I suppose that is my other option, save up some more cash, and buy a better brand, as the Vi-sprung, i was looking for an answer right now, lol

I'm going to try sleeping in the spare room, see if i get a better nights sleep in a different bed

Stu

·
Registered
466 Posts
Before selling beds i fitted carpets for 10 years so my back is fu**ed. I found pocket sprung medium firm gave excellent support and because pocket springs are free to move independently they shape to the curve of the spine. Get a nice soft top to the mattress so its not gonna be uncomfortably firm. Just don't buy the first one you try, it's an all day job at least, try no more than three matts in any one store or they'll start to feel the same.

·
Premium Member
22,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We have the tempur matress/bed, expensive but my bad back loves it! Think you can get them on 28 day free trial, which is worth it as they are completely different to other beds, even altering the way you sleep and it takes time to get used to them. Only downside is that they are warmer, which is not great in summer :lol:
its that 'warmer' that worries me, as i struggle to sleep in summer when its warm as it is, i dont know if i would find this impossible

Stu

·
Premium Member
20,181 Posts
its that 'warmer' that worries me, as i struggle to sleep in summer when its warm as it is, i dont know if i would find this impossible

Stu
I just throw the covers off :lol:
We are not talking like it makes you sweat cobs, but it is warmer.
Our local shop had a special demo area, seperate room where they encourage you to try the things out for as long as you like (sleep capsual I think they called it!)

·
Registered
293 Posts
sy534534 - you seem to have a lot of knowledge in this field so was wondering what you got to say in regards to water beds? Always wondered about em and would appreciate your thoughts on them

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've never even tried a waterbed so can't really say. But wierdly my boss at a previous bed store had one even though he had to buy it from a competitor. Reckoned it was the best nights sleep he ever had and wouldn't go back to normal mattresses. Expensive to buy and needs to be plugged into the mains all the time as the water needs to be kept heated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts