Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The master cylinder in my LHD Evo VI RS-2 Tommi Mäkinen was recently upgraded.

From day one I was very unhappy with the brake pedal feel (too soft and long travel), and it was really a step back compared with non-TME LHD cars. I fitted braided hoses and upgraded to Castrol SRF, but I was still very disappointed about it.

As you probably now, TME versions are the only LHD Evo VI cars fitted with ABS, so it looked like it was the ABS circuit to be blamed for the soft pedal feel. I was surprised to learn in this forum that owners of ABS equipped versions (like the EvoVI GSR) in the UK (RHD) do not see a a major change in feel compared to RS (no ABS) versions.

One day it came to my knowledge (not through this forum) that an owner of a TME in France (LHD too, and probably one of the active contributors to the forum) was complaining about the same problem as me. It did not take me long to find out that the master cylinder reference in LHD and RHD ABS equipped cars was different. I believe it reaffirms the thought that there are very few EvoVI that are exactly the same. As different batches are produced different parts are used in the factory.

My car came fitted with a 15/16 master cylinder, and I 'upgraded' to a 17/16 RS master cylinder (part #MR407357). Here too there are 2 different references, with different diameter (I believe the other one is 1 ). I immediately felt a much better pedal feel. I normally drive tarmac rally stages and it was very frustrating to have such a soft pedal before the upgrade. The brake power was there, but the pedal travel was unacceptable and it made it impossible to do toe/heel while downshifting. After fitting the new master cylinder, things improved and it makes it much more enjoyable to drive the car.

I do not feel a massive increase in brake power, but I have the power readily available much earlier in the pedal travel. A side effect is that I feel the brakes are less assisted now, a consequence of the physics of fitting a larger diameter master cylinder. It takes just a few kilometers (sorry, miles for UK readers) to get used to it.

I hope this long and boring opinion/explanation helps.

Regards from Spain.

Rallyman

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Muchas gracias Rallyman

I guess that was me complaining about the pedal feel. Thanks for the part number, I'll try and find out if there's an even bigger one. The description you make of the pedal feel is exactly what I feel.

Claudius

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Claudius,

Sorry, I had not realised Junichi Tanaka and Claudius were the same person. I haven't followed the forum much lately.

When last Summer I heard of the French TME owner complaining about the same problem as me I guessed it was you. It was then when I thought that RHD and LHD specs could be different.

You mention you are happy with CTF rotors. What calipers, pads and fluid are you using?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This has been something I have complained about with the 7. There is a noticable difference between the brakes on the GSR and the RS. I have always put it down to the ABS but had talked to a few people about a different master cylinder. I guess I should check to see if the 2 master cylinders are the same.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rallye muchacho

Runniing the CTFs grooved and cross-drilled with Pagid RS 14 brake pads (the black ones ) and Tarox brake fluid with added silicon to avoid condensation and a boiling point of 300 C. DOT 5.1, can be mixed with other DOT 5.1, AP cannot and is twice the price. Braided hoses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts