Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rc developements did a map, cams and a exhaust kit for about 2K does anybody else do this.Think the kit made 400bhp. A mate wants to mod his mr340. thx

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
MG Autos and i bet it wont cost 2k i dont think you will need cams

just did my fq320 very good job and it pulls so hard feels like a new car

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Walbro £60, decat £50, airbox mod free, whilst there remove the two boost control restrictors. About an hour's work.

Remove the piggyback ECU if an 8MR 340.

Remap on a healthy 8MR of this spec is dead easy - put the wastegate duty cycles to 100%, raise the fuel cut and boost control load offset, standard ignition map usually needs very little adjustment in this spec (I did 1 degree off in the full boost areas to 5500 RPM, 2 degrees from 6000-). Fuel map is easy to adjust because it is running a MAF sensor, one or two goes and it is running 11.5:1 AFR on full boost. 380+ BHP and safe, drives great. On a healthy car the mapping like this could be done and tested in less than an hour, the equipment is minimal. 2 hours work overall and £110 worth of bits, don't let anyone rip you off for £2k!

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,858 Posts
2 hours work overall and £110 worth of bits, don't let anyone rip you off for £2k!
Have to admit, £110 for a fuel pump, decat, exhaust system, boost controller, new sparks and someone else to do a remap (all covered under warranty) is great value for money.

Oh.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Why do you need new sparks?

Who gives a warranty on their map? Most mappers can show you that the engine is knock free without excessively retarded ignition, the wideband AFR is safe and the boost is within sensible levels, if it blows up with that lot then it isn't the tune doing it.

Why do you need a boost controller?

Fastedd brought his 8 MR 320 to me with a Walbro, airbox mod and decat, I mapped it (for nothing, he has become a friend and helps me with stuff also) and it did 380 BHP, holds together, drives well. He has since made further changes to the boost solenoid and exhaust, but it still went well without.

£110 is just the parts as I stated. That was his total spend to hit 380 BHP, he put the parts on himself.

There are, believe it or not, a fair few people that will put a good map on your car for nothing or a few beers. Many of them do a better job than some who work as professional tuners. You might find a few on geekmapped ;)

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,858 Posts
Why do you need a new pump or even more power?

The point I'm making is that you implied your £110 bedroom solution is the equivalent for the £2k RC Devs solution when it most certainly isn't. Many people on here (even some who frequent geekmapped) say the stock boost control isn't that great and you'd benefit from a controller. With the RC Devs kit you also get a full exhaust system and if your car blows up the next day you're covered. Something you won't get from a home-tuner. You also forget that not everyone *can* fit their own parts etc.

It just seems that you were deriding people who would buy a fairly complete tuning package that is fitted under warranty when for £100 you can buy some cr4p from eBay and have some guy down the pub fit it and it's the same thing. You get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
laugh aint it i think re maping is way over priced by tuners .de cat pipe is easy to fit so is an air filter and fuel pump.. thats 4 people now i hear have done it them self and seem happy with there maps fair play. ps how do you get past the code on ecu?

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
Self mapping is not for everyone, due the time it takes and the equipment you need to buy.
The advantage of going to a *professional* is it's drive in/out within a few hours, self mapping can take days as a beginner.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
that dont sound a bad price 350 .. i rang round a few tuners rc and the 1 at silverstone wrc .they just seem to bump the price up every week lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts