Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
Jesus built my car
Joined
·
38,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been ages and many people have still not fixed their avatar. Can't these people just have their avatars removed? At the moment the forum looks like a loading Spectrum game.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
554 Posts
Aidy said:
It's been ages and many people have still not fixed their avatar. Can't these people just have their avatars removed? At the moment the forum looks like a loading Spectrum game.
I've fixed mine on my works computer and it's fine went home and its corrupt! :confused: :confused:

Is mine ok to other users? (wouldn't like to loose Mr Stuck!)
 

·
Premium Member
Jesus built my car
Joined
·
38,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the thing, everyone thinks their avatar is ok. People need them removed to tell them that they're not ok.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,249 Posts
Rest assured Aidy, everything is being done to resume normal service. However, the problem's been caused by a bug in the later versions of MySQL and together with a string of unique events it's proving a major and slow PITA to recover. It's also not possible to automatically remove corrupt data. It should be sorted in the next few days.
 

·
Premium Member
Jesus built my car
Joined
·
38,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DaveG said:
Rest assured Aidy, everything is being done to resume normal service. However, the problem's been caused by a bug in the later versions of MySQL and together with a string of unique events it's proving a major and slow PITA to recover. It's also not possible to automatically remove corrupt data. It should be sorted in the next few days.
Can't admins remove people's avatars though? You can edit sigs so I thought you would also be able to do that.

<Fanboy>
You know you really should be using ASP and SQL Server and you wouldn't have had these problems in the first place :D
</Fanboy>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Aidy said:
Can't admins remove people's avatars though? You can edit sigs so I thought you would also be able to do that.

<Fanboy>
You know you really should be using ASP and SQL Server and you wouldn't have had these problems in the first place :D
</Fanboy>
Aww shaddap Aidy, if I have to look at pictures of your bug ridden Banana with AYC, then you can put up with my avatar for a few more hours till I get it home and sort it....

Oh and Pffft ASP and SQL Server tbh, the amount of work it takes to develop secure solutions using ASP and SQL Server is nasty, not to mention locking it down, of course if you're offering to do it for free, then i'm sure someone could use you ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Jesus built my car
Joined
·
38,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blinder said:
the amount of work it takes to develop secure solutions using ASP and SQL Server is nasty
No it's not. And at least it wouldn't crash and corrupt all the data :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,249 Posts
Aidy said:
Can't admins remove people's avatars though? You can edit sigs so I thought you would also be able to do that.
You can, but only one at a time and each one will take a bit of time and there's thousands of avatars. It would be easier to remove them all in one go.

<Fanboy>
You know you really should be using ASP and SQL Server and you wouldn't have had these problems in the first place :D
</Fanboy>
Personally I'd prefer a J2EE/Oracle platform, but like ASP/SQL it's not a viable option. PHP/MySQL is much better suited to certain applications.
 

·
Premium Member
Jesus built my car
Joined
·
38,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by DaveG
> You can, but only one at a time and each one will take
> a bit of time and there's thousands of avatars. It would
> be easier to remove them all in one go.

I see where you're coming from. I was really thinking about the more active posters rather than every member.

> PHP/MySQL is much better suited to certain applications.

Ones that don't require data integrity? :mhihi:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,249 Posts
Aidy said:
> You can, but only one at a time and each one will take
> a bit of time and there's thousands of avatars. It would
> be easier to remove them all in one go.

I see where you're coming from. I was really thinking about the more active posters rather than every member.

> PHP/MySQL is much better suited to certain applications.

Ones that don't require data integrity? :mhihi:
We may have to bulk update the avatars soon, but I'm waiting on a server delivery ATM.

I'm afraid I don't share your confidence in Microsoft web/DB technology after being burnt by it so many times in the past. For what it is, I'm a big fan of PHP/MySQL. It is a robust, cost effective and easy to implement platform, but not suited to enterprise applications (bit like Microsoft :D ).
 

·
Premium Member
Jesus built my car
Joined
·
38,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blinder said:
It is. You are obviously blinded by the yellowness.
No it isn't. You're obviously blinded by fanboyism.

M$ SUX!!!111 GET A PS3 AND FIREFOX!!!111 w00t!!!!!11111
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top