Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
evening all,

as always im in a wee search of more power, without doing major internals.

ive been thinking about getting different cams but i believe these can sometimes be a bit of a fiddle to get ''just right''

so looking at another point of interest.
http://www.borla.com/applications/lookup.aspx/2003/Mitsubishi/Lancer/EvolutionHeader/17220/

i can get one of these in for around £550 from USA.

would that allow more power/torque without having to increase boost pressure?

obviously i would need my mapper to tweak the ecu a bit. but would it give any worthwhile gains?

cheers
wullie

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
wullie BORLA will not sell out side its dealer network to the uk . you must add 27.5% to the cost price + shipping . we do have theses in stock and they are backed with a factory warrenty .

look @ the pics we have posted in exhaust section .

dave

my advise is get some EVO400 CAMS .

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dave that was adding 27.5%

they work out about £430 over there then add 27.5%

dunno what shipping will be but they (yanks) arent too expensive.

what gains would be seen with this added.

i would like cams but its the fiddling about with that i cant be doing with, the cars my daily drive and cant really have off road for long

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
evo400 said:
you need a better calculator wullie . get cams and a ecu re map .
the one on windows works fine.

give or take the odd £2.

767USD from that site. with approx exchange rate. = 1.8 gives ~£430 X 27.5% = £550ish

bugger i was thinking cams would be best, but more moolah. :blah:

·
Premium Member
16,922 Posts
I always like it when company state "premium Aircraft-Quality T-304 Stainless Steel".... you wont find much if any 304 stainless in a aircraft beleive me! we make bits for Airbus among others so ive got a good idea what im talking about!....304 is just bog stock cheapo stainless steel :).

Looks nice though and a good price from the US....about time we had someone over here doing bulk importing at sensible money, it could save us all a fortune compared to what companys over here are charging at the mo....remember they are paying the same if not less than what we can get bits from over there for :(...greedy buggers.

Cant imagine if you have a good exhaust on there now?... getting massive gains from it though...what do you have on there ?

Dave he has added 27.5% if you type it in,

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
thetyrant said:
I always like it when company state "premium Aircraft-Quality T-304 Stainless Steel".... you wont find much if any 304 stainless in a aircraft beleive me! we make bits for Airbus among others so ive got a good idea what im talking about!....304 is just bog stock cheapo stainless steel :).

Ian
lol, I agree, i work in the pharmaceuticals industry 304 is the stuff we use to make floor plates from! But alot better than the ungraded stuff used for cutlery sinks etc!

Whilst it makes me larf, 304 is more than adquate for exhausts!

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
evo400 said:
add 27.5% not x wullie .
i have dave, to get 27.5% you have to multiply the number by .275 and add that to the number.

cheers for the info on the 304 stainless. :crackup: so i assume it makes no difference what grade the stainless is then. i have a 5 Zigen at the moment, but its needing replaced soon

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
stick with the 304, u will know wot u are getting and compare like for like. It'll do the job.

The various gradings have more to do with chemical resitance than cyclic temperature resistance. Although some are better than others, which i couldn't tell u!

·
Premium Member
14,884 Posts
Wullie, have you thought about a flowed turbo elbow, standalone boost controller for improved spool up, better/smoother control of boost etc.

What sort of gains can be had from changing the manifold?

I'm interested in what the tuners have to say as I am in the same boat.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
brian ive got a hks downpipe and turbo elbow. i was just thinking that they wont be any good if the exhaust gas is already being restricted before it gets to them.

come on people in the know, enlighten us please.

or will span and i have to come crushing heads :p

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LeeLegend-TME139 said:
so either of you want my manifold or what? :angel:
stop pressuring us. we are scottish remember, it takes time for us to part with money.

let me weigh up my many factors ;)

·
Premium Member
16,922 Posts
How much power have you got now ? ..... stock manifold is good for well over 400hp on early evos so would think its better still on your later models ?..... wouldnt of thought there was much gain to be had until you run into restrictions of the stock unit....small gains maybe but nothing worth spending £500+ on imho :)

CHeers
ian

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
go for cams...

I read somewhere, that although custom manifolds flow better, can create more unwanted pre-turbo pressure than the oem version
+ the oem item will be flow-matched to the turbo

as Ian has said above
...perhaps you won't see the 'expected gains' especially for the price (?)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts