Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a really difficult job to change the timing belt, or aux belt, whatever its called, i havent had my evo long and would like to change the belt..
i'm pretty good with mechanical work, but i'm worried bout the timing:confused:
or Shall i just pay some1??

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
auxiliary belt is easy and nothing to do with timing

timing belt is quite a big job, if you are going to tackle it, make sure you understand whats involved, and make sure you understand how to set the balance shafts, they are not as straight forward as they appear

Stu
the timing belt is the one i want to change most...
i'll have a look into it.. doubt i'll be giving it ago...

where do you think i would get best info from??

·
Premium Member
22,084 Posts
the timing belt is the one i want to change most...
i'll have a look into it.. doubt i'll be giving it ago...

where do you think i would get best info from??
off here, when u do the timing belt you need to do the balance belt too, but the balance shafts can be a full rotation out, as they are geared 2:1

If you search on here you will find threads i have replied to with links to what to do

Might be easiest to look for threads to do with vibration after cambelt change, as that is the symptom if the balance shaft is wrong

Stu

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
off here, when u do the timing belt you need to do the balance belt too, but the balance shafts can be a full rotation out, as they are geared 2:1

If you search on here you will find threads i have replied to with links to what to do

Might be easiest to look for threads to do with vibration after cambelt change, as that is the symptom if the balance shaft is wrong

Stu
Thanks i'll have a look now....

would i have to re-adjust the timing????

·
Premium Member
22,084 Posts
Thanks i'll have a look now....

would i have to re-adjust the timing????
no, the idea is to replace the new belt in an identical way to how the old one came off, assuming the old one is timed correctly

to be fair, if you are not 100% sure what ur doing, i'd suggest you pay to get it done, reason being is any mistake in timing can destroy the engine internally

Stu

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Its not a huge job, but really you need to now what you doing.You need a tensioner release tool, which will make the job easier and allow for correct belt tension, and also have a good read in the evo manual, everything is there and it will give you an idea of what kinda of a job it is
thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not a huge job, but really you need to now what you doing.You need a tensioner release tool, which will make the job easier and allow for correct belt tension, and also have a good read in the evo manual, everything is there and it will give you an idea of what kinda of a job it is
thanks
thanks guys... you've been great help, ive changed timing belts on lesser engines, as long as i dont HAVE to re-adjust like you just explained, basically just not allowing the pulley or cams to move, i'll be fine:smthumbup

Should be simple need the tensioner release tool though..

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
thanks guys... you've been great help, ive changed timing belts on lesser engines, as long as i dont HAVE to re-adjust like you just explained, basically just not allowing the pulley or cams to move, i'll be fine:smthumbup

Should be simple need the tensioner release tool though..

Thanks again
you will have to recheck the oil pump sprocket for movment and just incase the cam pulley moves, follow the timing marks and you`ll be ok:smthumbup

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
due to the age of your car now i would look at buying a full timing belt kit inc the idler wheels and both tensioner pullys(balance belt + timing belt). this would mean the job takes a while longer but better than doing it twice when one of the wheels squeals under the tension of the new belt.

also maybe consider fitting a new water pump as its all off, some could consider this overkill but most 5's are 12years old now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts