Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Just been onto a few people about getting an exhaust for my evo 6 and Magnex seem to come up with one that seems very competitive. It's stainless steel and has a lifetime garantee
and 4 tail pipe.

Just wondered what it sounded like compared to say the Blitz.

I've also done a search and if 'Redfive' sees this I'd like to know what you think of it so far and any one else who's had one fitted.

I can't decide wether to go for the de-cat pipe as well, your opinions please !

Thanks, Ian

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Yep : its a good system, but they had to modify mine at the factory :
it was too noisy for my taste (and in fact so noisy that it was unbearable). Once modded, the system is fine - fits really easly and sounds good. They made no charge for the mod (it was one of the first fitted, and a bit of an experiment I think)

I think they might be doing 2 options, one with insulated tailpipe and one without. Unless you want a really noisy system, go for the insulated one. If you go for uninsulated (or of thats all that is available) I'd be interested to know what you think.

I've been running cat replacement and back sections until today, whern by coincidence I picked-up front section from GGR Leicester. Will be fitting later this week and let you know if that makes any more differecne, although upto now the only real improvement has been the sound - the guys at Magnex did say that the front pipe is essential to performance increase !! (thats where the original really falls-down apparently)

Verdict : It's cheap, looks good, and unlike some of the Jap ones, its all stainless and guaranteed for life. Buy one but be prepared for the noise.

Suggestion : Contact Glen Hardy at Graham Goode Racing, Leicester and have a chat with him - he know me and the problems I had with the system initially - now very satisfied.

Warning : if you fit it you must tell your insurers : they will class it as a modification.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Redfive
spoke to Graham Goode's this morning but unfortunately they are a little to far away for me. By the response I got there is only one system that they supply (the modified one) I hope. I'll probably get it done locally along with the lowering springs and induction kit.

Have you got the induction kit ? As I was told that if you go for the exhaust you need this as well for any improvement, other than throttle response.

Would be very interested in what you think of the down pipe though when you get it fitted

Cheers, Peely.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Peely

I went for the HKS superdragger (SP?) and a cat replacement. The exhaust is excellent, with no additional noise at motorway speed than the standard system, but a very nice noise on 'full chat'. The cat replacement is the only thing that I could feel a difference (Induction etc), much better through the range.

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I also had one of the first Magnex kits out so it was noisy. (not nice noisy but loud with a Capital L) I think Redfive knows what I mean. Anyway I had to get it sent back to Magnex to get the inner sleeve put in as I would have been black flagged on some of the trackdays. I have the whole system now. I.e. Downpipe (which does make a big difference) Cat replacement and full Magnex system. I think it is good value and has improved the response all the way through the rev range.

You must get an induction kit as you need more air into the system to get any benefit. So what is the point of getting a nice shiny new exhaust(although with Cat replacement it does not stay shiny for long http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle > and then muffling it down by using standard air box.

The best valve mod. has got to be lowering springs. I have only had them fitted a few weeks but the last trackday was so much better. It definitely handles better and the plus point it is better on the Motorways.

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Yep : I got the induction kit too

will advise if any difference when the front pipe is fitted _ maybe tonight

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know if the Magnex system comes as standard in LOUD form and you have to send it back to be modified if you don't like it, or have they now all got the extra packing in the rear as standard to make it a reasonable sound that you can live with ?

Anyone !!

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Peely

As far as I know they have changed the design so it incorporates the extra stuffing.
I suppose you could ask them to do a LOUD version but why would you? Trust me it does not need to be that loud.

Basically standard is the quiet version or should I say quieter version http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Thorak
What I meant was I didn't want to have to send the thing back to make it quieter,
I just wanted something that sounded better than the standard exhaust.

PS. What does it sound like ?

Do you get flames coming out the back like batman ?

Only joking !!

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Peely

What does it sound like! eeerrrr! well it sounds like a performance exhaust.
Trust me it sounds a hell of a lot better than the standard almost quiet exhaust.

You will get flaming but only with the de-cat pipe. At least I think it has been
flaming due to the burnt plastic bits on my bumper http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

And no I am not joking.

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Have just fitted balance (front pipe) of Magnex system having had de-cat back fitted for about 3 months.

1). You really do not want the noise of the original magnex - its just too noisy - get one with the extra tailpie lagging.

2). The front pipe actaully does make a difference - noticeable improvement through the gears , and at Cadwell last nigh about another 10 mph at end of straight - now that's good

3). It does (only now after fitting front pipe, and de-cat did not make it do this on its own) spit flames (like Batman) at high revs when changing 2nd/3rd, but only when overfuelling after changing down. Looks bloody great (I'm told)

4). Word of warning - if fitting front pipe yourselves, (and whole thing is easy to do with a pair of ramps)watch the fitting of the little tag of steel back onto the engine block - very easy to cross thread and ****-up the bracket on the block. Suggest cleaning bolt really well before putting back, and leave whole exhause loose whilst making this connection.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Redfive

Do you have and aftermarket blow-off fitted ? As from past experience this is what normally causes the car to run rich on lift-off.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I went through this same debate a few months ago and ended up buying the Magnex system before they had made the changes to the tail pipe design.

I was not sure of how loud, (note the capital L) Loud was so I kept the down pipe and CAT replacement pipe from Magnex and returned the rest to Graham Goode Racing (who ordered me the Blitz system). - Top marks here for GGR, they kept me updated with all of the info from Magnex and were really helpful. They are a long way from me, but all of the stuff was delivered as promised.

Having seen both the Magnex and Blitz systems, I would recommend the Blitz (it too is S/S with a nicer finish and life time warranty) but also has a silencer which you can insert into the tail pipe (fix with a bolt) if the system is too loud. (I have never used it).

The original down pipe was touching on the cross member, but the one from Magnex cleared it (not often you get after market add-ons which are better fitting than the originals) and that got rid of a knocking noise at idle.

The system does flame, although I have only noticed it at night when driving on country lanes. The lack of street lights means that the whole area behind the car lights up (I thought it was a GATSO the first time). There is, however, no burnt bumper as the pipe sits slightly proud of the plastic.

Not sure how much faster this makes the car (it was fast enough as standard), but now it looks better with the 4 1/2 inch tail pipe and sounds excellent.

One down side with the Blitz Nur Spec R is that it hangs lower than the Magnex and original because it does not have the 90 degree bend before the final muffler (supposed to give more power by going by a more direct route) So you'll have to be careful with those lowering springs!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts