Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use them, looking at maybe buying an Evolution EVO42 mag drill for the workshop, its this or a pillar drill, but as I mainly work with steel and struggle to cut larger holes, Im leaning towards a mag drill

Any thoughts on the Evo42, other evolution mag drills or mag drills in general

Never used 1 before

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
524 Posts
Is it because it is called an Evolution EVO42..

I think that on its own is a valid reason to buy

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it because it is called an Evolution EVO42..

I think that on its own is a valid reason to buy
might have something to do with it :lol:

Nah, I bought a second hand Evolution Steel chop saw years ago and have been pleased with it

My intention was to buy a pillar drill, but im thinking a mag drill maybe more use for me, just wondered if there are any downsides to mag drills

Stu

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have an Evolution Rage 3 Mitre saw, If i helps i've been nothing but impressed with it.

Reactions: stu8

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
What size large holes do you want to drill?
We have a few at work, they are great, but if you want to go bigger than 30mm ideally you want want one with more than one speed, otherwise you will blunt your cutters quicker and your mag drill won't enjoy it very much.
Also the thicker the steel you stick it too, the better they stick. On a bit of 3mm they will come unstuck quite easy if you apply too much pressure, on a bit of 12mm you could probably hang off it.
If you are changing from rota cutters to normal twist a lot have a look at the Fein ones they have really nice way of switching chucks.
Anything else you want to know just ask

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What size large holes do you want to drill?
We have a few at work, they are great, but if you want to go bigger than 30mm ideally you want want one with more than one speed, otherwise you will blunt your cutters quicker and your mag drill won't enjoy it very much.
Also the thicker the steel you stick it too, the better they stick. On a bit of 3mm they will come unstuck quite easy if you apply too much pressure, on a bit of 12mm you could probably hang off it.
If you are changing from rota cutters to normal twist a lot have a look at the Fein ones they have really nice way of switching chucks.
Anything else you want to know just ask

Its more the option of drilling larger holes, a new toy / tool for the workshop / toy room

I tend to try and make my own agricultural metalwork, or convert stuff to do the job, from making a towbar from scratch for my Evo 10, to chopping down a stepframe artic trailer and converting it to tractor drawbar.

I struggle with the larger holes, rough cuts I can plasma or gas axe, but tidy cuts Im limited to twist drills and hole saws with hand drills (usually battery to avoid breaking my wrist :lol: )

The evolution is tempting due to price @ £255 for an upto 42mm cutter mag drill with chuck conversion. IIrc the fixed speed is 450rpm, is that ok upto 42mm

Anything bigger than that, id still have to do as I do now, bung my mate a few quid and borrow his workshop :naughty::lol:

Originally the plan was a pillar drill, but I just think for my needs a mag drill is more versatile, and also could be mounted on a frame making it a kind of pillar drill???

Stu

·
BooooooosT
126 Posts
We have loads of mag drills being an In Situ machinist we use them a lot for service holes etc. We have ones ranging from Unibore to Rotabroach, using rota broach cutters, twist drills, and custom made. The Rotabroach Cobra ones are good, light and nimble. Also have variable speed.

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have loads of mag drills being an In Situ machinist we use them a lot for service holes etc. We have ones ranging from Unibore to Rotabroach, using rota broach cutters, twist drills, and custom made. The Rotabroach Cobra ones are good, light and nimble. Also have variable speed.
Have you tried the evolution range?

http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/uk/steel/evomag42.php

Any thoughts from experience on the spec?

Im not looking to buy anything more expensive, so am limited to the cheaper versions really. Its for occasional jobs when needed, not a specific job as such

Stu

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
The evolution one looks ok, it looks like a copy of the Fein one we have at work. I have mounted on a steel plate and g-clamped the plate down and cut aluminium, so yeah could easily be adapted into a pillar drill.

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The evolution one looks ok, it looks like a copy of the Fein one we have at work. I have mounted on a steel plate and g-clamped the plate down and cut aluminium, so yeah could easily be adapted into a pillar drill.
thats reassuring, thanks :)

Yep, thats pretty much my plan,or maybe even a frame that mounts the drill a little over a table to fasten materials too, giving scope to reach further over material

The idea of the frame really is to have the convenience of the pillar drill for general use, plus the obvious option of using the mag drill as intended

Stu

1 - 10 of 10 Posts