Lancer Register Forum banner

Madmac Motorsport's Twincharged Evo 5

612K views 2K replies 217 participants last post by  Madmac 
#1 ·
During the winter build of the old Evo 5 hillclimb slag I decided to look at ways of reducing the turbo lag which was becoming an issue and costing precious hundredths of seconds on the hills last year. It never lacked top end power but the lag really started to get to me and i knew i could make it quicker point to point by reducing the lag - but keeping top end power.
I looked at many possible ways to do this but in the end settled for adding a supercharger to run in conjunction with the turbo.

Designed and built by myself with input from friends and members on MLR, most parts have been fabricated in my garage from whatever was lying around, the end result has been worth the blood, Sweat and tears I've put into this.

We've had her on the dyno at Wallace Performance in Aberdeen and had surprisingly few teething problems considering the unknowns and the huge amount of bespoke parts that needed to be designed, fabricated and made. Initial mapping is done now and the whole package is showing some serious potential! We've decided to keep the system at it's minimum until i do reliability tests and learn how to drive it properly :angel:

I've also designed and built a tubular front subframe and arms (total 9Kg:D) to reduce front weight and while i was at it, it seemed rude not to play with the suspension geometry!

I want to thank a few people for their input and help:

Russ and the guys at Wallace Performance who did the mapping and supplied parts/tea/banter etc. Top guys and never ones to shy from a challenge! Can't thank you enough:smthumbup:D. http://www.wallaceperformance.co.uk/

My mate Steve Marr who is the main technical guru, and who i regularly bugged to ask lots of questions on a daily basis:smthumbup.

My mate Graeme Wight Jnr for his help with the front subframe and major suspension geometry changes, Exhaust and general setting up

Alan Young Engineering Ltd for the quality machined bespoke pulleys and parts, Spot-on parts and great prices http://www.timingbeltpulleys.co.uk/pages/home.php

And everyone else who suffered because of my constant lust for knowledge during the build:smthumbup:D

As yet i've to do some miles and get her setup for the start of the 2010 Scottish Sprint & Hillclimb Championship, so for the moment i'm being realistic about expectations & screwing the nut until i check everything over and get used to driving it. Hoping to do some track testing soon though. I've had her out for a short drive and so far the whole package is working impressively. Instant delivery at anything above 2500rpm with absolutely awesome accelleration in every gear! This is on it's lowest boost setting too....

Over the next few months The guys at Wallace Performance & I are going to refine some of the setup and see what she's really capable of! We know we can find a lot more power & torque with some simple changes.

Meantime i'm happy with the initial results and looking forward to Doune Hillclimb in 2 weeks:D:D Should be fun!

Keep watching....;)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Lee, she'll be out of hiding soon enough:smthumbup

As this has been a lot of time and planning. Can't go giving out secrets like that! I need to keep the advantage over the competition for as long as possible:naughty:

#33 ·
its hiding under the intake plenum i suppose? with a change over valve?or a boost limiting (pop off like the old days?)

i remeber someone doing that years ago using a mitsi cyclone intake manifold found on the JDM (LHD !!! believe it!) 1990-93 Mitsubishi eclipses .. he used the vavle (that was controlled by the ecu..it had a changeover point of 4000 rpm)
to close the secondary inlet he made to the plenum from the supercharger.

that effectivley gave him supercharger boost till 3500 ish,after which the turbo started to spool .

was extrely complicated at the time , he started to fiddle with magnetic clutches for the s/c,then he dissappeared :confused:and so did his build.

Tell us how you did it please, i like seeing this kind of fabrication :smthumbup

#8 ·
Sounds good Donald, look forward to see this in action, good luck with it.

Well done all at Wallace performance for building/mapping some serious cars over the past few years.

#10 ·
I remember seeing you at Wallace Performance, a few months back now....
The car looks great,and sounds like it will be real SLAG!:naughty::D
Well done Donald, for all the hard work mate!:smthumbup
It has obviously payed off!;)
The boys at Wallace are very helpfull, good bunch of lads!:D

Andy

#20 ·
Thanks guys, I get bored too easily:crackup: :D

Just doing the finishing touches now, geometry, ride heights and a good clean up on the outside.

I have a few videos of it on the rollers but can't get them to play on my PC. I shot them with a Sony Ericsson phone. If anyone can point me in the direction of software i need to play them, i'll post one up

I'm hoping for good reliability this year but a lot has changed on the car and much of it remains untested. I'm not going to know until i start the season if last years 99% reliability will continue!

It's a bugger to work on now. Simple jobs involve a lot more removal of components although i think i have the best compromise as the charger is mounted back to help balance the weight distibution. One thing i wanted to avoid was taking the easy route and mounting it above the turbo. Too much weight in front of the front axle on an evo as it is.

Overall weight is down too, below 1150kg with the floor and fuel. More to come if i decide to remove the interior, glass, elec windows, C/L etc:D

How you doing Tony? Will we see you out to play this year?:smthumbup

#24 ·
Rog, you're a genius:smthumbup

On the dyno: Had a wee bit of wheelspin on this one

#28 · (Edited)
When are the Madmac motorsport twin charge kits being released for sale? ;)
I doubt there would be such a thing as a 'kit' because of the various state of tune of each car previously. A lot of supporting mods need done so any future builds would be best done around existing high spec engines and to each owner's requirements.

You don't want to know how expensive that could get!

This is no doubt a one-off and through ongoing development, should be plenty enough to satisfy my needs for the sprints and hills. Shaping up to show some serious potential though! :)

Grant, we didn't print graphs for the moment, as soon as i drove it i knew it was enough for now! As we refine it we'll get some graphs up