Lancer Register Forum banner

Madmac Motorsport's Twincharged Evo 5

612K views 2K replies 217 participants last post by  Madmac 
#1 ·
During the winter build of the old Evo 5 hillclimb slag I decided to look at ways of reducing the turbo lag which was becoming an issue and costing precious hundredths of seconds on the hills last year. It never lacked top end power but the lag really started to get to me and i knew i could make it quicker point to point by reducing the lag - but keeping top end power.
I looked at many possible ways to do this but in the end settled for adding a supercharger to run in conjunction with the turbo.

Designed and built by myself with input from friends and members on MLR, most parts have been fabricated in my garage from whatever was lying around, the end result has been worth the blood, Sweat and tears I've put into this.

We've had her on the dyno at Wallace Performance in Aberdeen and had surprisingly few teething problems considering the unknowns and the huge amount of bespoke parts that needed to be designed, fabricated and made. Initial mapping is done now and the whole package is showing some serious potential! We've decided to keep the system at it's minimum until i do reliability tests and learn how to drive it properly :angel:

I've also designed and built a tubular front subframe and arms (total 9Kg:D) to reduce front weight and while i was at it, it seemed rude not to play with the suspension geometry!

I want to thank a few people for their input and help:

Russ and the guys at Wallace Performance who did the mapping and supplied parts/tea/banter etc. Top guys and never ones to shy from a challenge! Can't thank you enough:smthumbup:D. http://www.wallaceperformance.co.uk/

My mate Steve Marr who is the main technical guru, and who i regularly bugged to ask lots of questions on a daily basis:smthumbup.

My mate Graeme Wight Jnr for his help with the front subframe and major suspension geometry changes, Exhaust and general setting up

Alan Young Engineering Ltd for the quality machined bespoke pulleys and parts, Spot-on parts and great prices http://www.timingbeltpulleys.co.uk/pages/home.php

And everyone else who suffered because of my constant lust for knowledge during the build:smthumbup:D

As yet i've to do some miles and get her setup for the start of the 2010 Scottish Sprint & Hillclimb Championship, so for the moment i'm being realistic about expectations & screwing the nut until i check everything over and get used to driving it. Hoping to do some track testing soon though. I've had her out for a short drive and so far the whole package is working impressively. Instant delivery at anything above 2500rpm with absolutely awesome accelleration in every gear! This is on it's lowest boost setting too....

Over the next few months The guys at Wallace Performance & I are going to refine some of the setup and see what she's really capable of! We know we can find a lot more power & torque with some simple changes.

Meantime i'm happy with the initial results and looking forward to Doune Hillclimb in 2 weeks:D:D Should be fun!

Keep watching....;)

Attachments

See less See more
#2,294 ·
Yes, headlight is the intake, then there's a shaped duct that seals against the intercooler, and heat exits out the top. A small curved lip on the bonnet creates low pressure above the core to draw air through it. There's a large slimline rad fan directly below the core which is used to take heat soak out of the core before I launch. Both intercoolers are performing very well. :smthumbup

Reactions: kins
#2,295 ·
That's Tiddles pretty much ready for Doune :D

I haven't had a chance to drive her yet so the first launch off the line will be the first time i've driven her since Sept 16! What could possibly go wrong....:lol:

Hopefully she will perform well, although this weekend is all about a shakedown and data collection.

I'll post up any videos when I get back.

#2,297 ·
Yes it's 2 events sat and sun. Track is wet and greasy :blah:

#2,302 · (Edited)
#2,304 ·
Blimey Donald, it's savage how one thing can lead to another :eek:

Reactions: Unobtainium
#2,305 ·
It's never usually just one thing that drops a plane from the sky. A chain of events is usually more difficult to forsee

I can engineer out the possibility of the same thing happening again hopefully. The supercharger cushion can overheat allowing it to loosen the 3 drive pins, eventually ovalling the holes in the flanges. It's a service part that gets replaced occasionally if there's backlash in the pulley but before the event there wasn't any sign of an imminent failure. I'm looking into other materials less affected by heat to make my own version of the drive as it's a simple part to make. The supercharger is being worked harder than it was designed for so i've found a weak point again. New holes for the pins can be machined into the rotor gear and the supercharger can be saved. Some good news :lol:

A simple modification to the lower pulley should stop the 2 belts tangling.

It's inevitable as part of the development work there are going to be a few failures. Just a shame this one was a biggie :cry:

The Twincharger was impressive for the 2 runs I had. I might screw the boost down for some venues in the future:angel:

#2,309 ·
Donald its people like yourselves that push the boundaries that make motorsport. Don't give up you cant make a omelette without first breaking a few eggs so to speak. Love the engineering that goes into all this.

Are you still making the carbon items?
It's too close to give up on the project, especially now I have the control and electronics to refine the setup. The short running i got at doune showed the potential of the system as a hillclimber concept, so I'll be back with it when i can :smthumbup

As for the carbon, it has a short shelf life and to get a non-ridiculous price I have to buy a fair amount of it at a time. I'll need to get some to repair the bumper and floor and will probably use the remainder and make some parts to get some of that expense back. I'm also limited with time due to dogs, business, my daughter etc so it's a spare time thing now.

The bumper and floor will go back in the moulds and repair easily. Again it's time I need for that

#2,313 ·
If anyone can help, I need a couple of things asap.

Lower timing belt cover

A set of worn 17" soft to medium track tyres for the dyno. What have you got? Anything considered

The damage to the engine has been extensive. It needs a new block, crank, rods and pistons, cams and the head work :cry:

I have a new block bored and ready. The pistons are away getting the valve pockets widened for the bigger valves. I'm just waiting on the head to come back.

I have the supercharger repaired and upgraded with a stronger drive coupling.

Finally I have planning permission to add the 90sqm to the garage so that has to take priority. I need the space for 2 camaros that my brother wanted me to have. It has to be wind and watertight in 2 months so Tiddles will have to be sidelined for a while as I'm building it myself in the evenings and weekends.

#2,314 ·
What model Camaro? My old man used to have until a couple of years ago a 1974 Z28. He sold it. It then appeared on eBay but don’t what happened after that

#2,315 ·
What model Camaro? My old man used to have until a couple of years ago a 1974 Z28. He sold it. It then appeared on eBay but don't what happened after that
There's a 1968 RS spaceframe drag car with a chevy big block and nitrous, and a 1967 RS road car, small block with a B&M supercharger. Both need a lot of work though. The drag car needs a new engine block. More projects :lol:

Both cars were his passion. He bought the 67 in 1980!

Reactions: Tom Dick
#2,316 ·
Quick update:

I found tyres, thanks for all the offers. The short engine is built and the head is back from repair. New valves, cams and guides were needed as well as the welding repair to the chamber. I'm happy with how it's turned out although if it has any more damage in the future it'll be getting replaced. In hindsight I should have scrapped the head and started again. The difficulty has been getting the wire ring grooves machined accurately but a local machinist now has the CNC setup file for doing this.

I'm aiming for the Alford Sprint on the 12th August however i'm in deep with the extension build now so this might change and i'll take my time getting the car ready. The extension has to take priority. It's essentially built but there's a lot to do internally before it can be moved into.

Will update when I can :smthumbup

#2,317 ·
Update: The engine is built and back in the car as I needed it back together and moved to move machinery around. I'm making a few minor changes to the wastegate exhaust as it's too close to the new thicker radiator and going down in size with the injectors as I'll never use the ID2000 to full capacity. Originally the intention was to use E85 but the rules don't allow it.

I'm not pushing to make it to any of the remaining hillclimbs this year but i'll have her running soon, and back to the dyno over the winter to run in the engine and refine the setup.

#2,318 ·
You better get back to Prescott next year. First attempt in mod prod at Prescott and only on mid boost....and in a borrowed car taking it a little steadier than normal after having a crash recently.

It begs the question...is your supercharger worth the hassle? Darley still has the Harewood record too. Single turbo. I wonder if he's going to take your Doune record one day too?

Time to get your finger out laddie.

Attachments

#2,320 ·
Kenny - GTF I'm taking a year out after losing my brother and I have other priorities. Stop being a dick

If you recall the record was set in the very early stages of twincharger development. None of it matters, I held the record for 7 years before it was finally broken.

Well done Steven :smthumbup

Reactions: Tom Dick and johnd
#2,324 ·
Update, had her started yesterday and all appears okay :D

She's going to the dyno within a month for bedding in and a wee map tweek as i've altered the charger drive ratio slightly. This will probably mean slight changes to the bypass control and fuelling as the injectors have also been rebalanced

Hopefully it won't be too much work and i'll have a dyno plot from the new engine soon :smthumbup

#2,326 ·
No updates, Tiddles is in the garage ready to dyno. Am on the final stretch of the workshop extension so I'll get the dyno work done in the new year. My priorities have changed through the year and I've not had time to get back to Tiddles.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all :smthumbup

#2,328 · (Edited)
Happy New Year all :smthumbup

Update: that's my workshop extension 99% finished, just waiting for better weather to finish some outdoor bits and it's done :). A delay of 4 years due to the neighbouring farmer not honouring his part of a deal then 8 months to build 85Sq/m with a dedicated fabrication room and a larger area I can use for storage, painting or fitting. This has meant the sign workshop now has a much larger workspace and my garage is back to being big enough to work in!

I got my late brothers Camaros moved and am now evaluating the work they both need (looking like both need ground-up rebuilds :blah:).

Back to Tiddles. The season starts in April :coolsm:

I'll post up some photos for those interested

#2,330 ·
Some extension photos. The only part I didn't do myself was building the block walls as it was much quicker to pay a bloke to do that for me :lol:

This has allowed the sign workshop to be opened up into one large room (office upstairs in the roof space). In the photo you can see where the wall for the old spray booth was looking at the roof. I intend to replace all the ceiling lights so have left the ceiling plaster as it is to help with running in new wires. This allows us to get 2 decent sized vans in at once whereas before we struggled to get 1 large van in :blah:

The initial workshop was built as my garage but not long after I decided to move the sign business from town to here which cut the space I was hoping for substantially. The extension gives me back all this space for my own projects :coolsm:

Attachments

#2,331 ·
Some Camaro photo: 1967 RS, Chevy Small Block Supercharged. More of a show car than a practical runaround :lol:

My brother bought this when I was 11. It was restored 26 years ago but has had to lie in some damp places over the last 10 years so it's showing signs of neglect unfortunately. It doesn't run as there's wiring issues and the rear suspension needs some parts fabricated to make it safe. It really needs a bare shell rebuild with every external panel replaced, but that can wait a few years. The RS models had the headlight covers that swing round behind the grille when the lights are on.

This will remain in the family and when I'm gone it will go back home to Texas to my Nephews

Attachments

#2,332 ·
This is the 68 RS Camaro spaceframe he used for the drag strip. The engine had water lying in the bores for a winter and the block being bored out to 468Ci is on its last rebore so it needs a new engine block :mad:

The engine is out and I'm still collecting parts from his garage for it. It has a fibreglass removable front, fibreglass doors and steel roof/quarter panels. From memory it was around 1000kg

It ran mid 9s without the nitrous. I don't think he ever turned the nitrous on TBH. The plan is to get this back running, take it to the strip once then sell it on

Attachments