Lancer Register Forum banner

Madmac Motorsport's Twincharged Evo 5

598844 Views 2421 Replies 217 Participants Last post by  Madmac
During the winter build of the old Evo 5 hillclimb slag I decided to look at ways of reducing the turbo lag which was becoming an issue and costing precious hundredths of seconds on the hills last year. It never lacked top end power but the lag really started to get to me and i knew i could make it quicker point to point by reducing the lag - but keeping top end power.
I looked at many possible ways to do this but in the end settled for adding a supercharger to run in conjunction with the turbo.

Designed and built by myself with input from friends and members on MLR, most parts have been fabricated in my garage from whatever was lying around, the end result has been worth the blood, Sweat and tears I've put into this.

We've had her on the dyno at Wallace Performance in Aberdeen and had surprisingly few teething problems considering the unknowns and the huge amount of bespoke parts that needed to be designed, fabricated and made. Initial mapping is done now and the whole package is showing some serious potential! We've decided to keep the system at it's minimum until i do reliability tests and learn how to drive it properly :angel:

I've also designed and built a tubular front subframe and arms (total 9Kg:D) to reduce front weight and while i was at it, it seemed rude not to play with the suspension geometry!

I want to thank a few people for their input and help:

Russ and the guys at Wallace Performance who did the mapping and supplied parts/tea/banter etc. Top guys and never ones to shy from a challenge! Can't thank you enough:smthumbup:D. http://www.wallaceperformance.co.uk/

My mate Steve Marr who is the main technical guru, and who i regularly bugged to ask lots of questions on a daily basis:smthumbup.

My mate Graeme Wight Jnr for his help with the front subframe and major suspension geometry changes, Exhaust and general setting up

Alan Young Engineering Ltd for the quality machined bespoke pulleys and parts, Spot-on parts and great prices http://www.timingbeltpulleys.co.uk/pages/home.php

And everyone else who suffered because of my constant lust for knowledge during the build:smthumbup:D

As yet i've to do some miles and get her setup for the start of the 2010 Scottish Sprint & Hillclimb Championship, so for the moment i'm being realistic about expectations & screwing the nut until i check everything over and get used to driving it. Hoping to do some track testing soon though. I've had her out for a short drive and so far the whole package is working impressively. Instant delivery at anything above 2500rpm with absolutely awesome accelleration in every gear! This is on it's lowest boost setting too....

Over the next few months The guys at Wallace Performance & I are going to refine some of the setup and see what she's really capable of! We know we can find a lot more power & torque with some simple changes.

Meantime i'm happy with the initial results and looking forward to Doune Hillclimb in 2 weeks:D:D Should be fun!

Keep watching....;)

Attachments

See less See more
1601 - 1620 of 2422 Posts
What a car!!

Massively impressed by it Don!

Was great to finally meet you!
Hi ricky, we just got back after a good clean run 480 miles :)

Great to meet you and tim, and thanks very much for your help. Can't wait for doune now to test the new setup :naughty:
I sincerely hope you and Jonny C aren't planning a triple charge conversion on yours now based on that comment !:eek:
quad.:smthumbup
Hi ricky, we just got back after a good clean run 480 miles :)

Great to meet you and tim, and thanks very much for your help. Can't wait for doune now to test the new setup :naughty:
Glad you got back safe!!

Yeah very excited to see the results and how you feel it has improved.
The front lip is 80mm. There's 2 skirts running along the tunnel that sit 90mm high but the whole centre of the floor rises from front to back. Lowest point is just behind the splitter.
Do you use your car in this setup on public roads?
Do you use your car in this setup on public roads?
No it's a competition car only these days
No it's a competition car only these days
Would that 80-90mm setup be usable in daily driving?
Would that 80-90mm setup be usable in daily driving?
Probably not as I run high spring rates and still bottom out the plywood splitter at high speed. Theres also fences that run along the tunnel that are lower and they buff away regularly.:angel:
Doune Hillclimb this weekend :naughty:

Hoping for good weather so we can get up to speed again. Tiddles has had some more development work carried out and setup by Tim & Ricky at Race Developments so we'll see how she goes at the weekend with the 'new' Launch Control. There's still some setting up to do that can only be done at the events so there'll be a mix of competing and playing with the Motec settings.

This is a round of the British Hillclimb Championship and a full entry so there's going to be some exotic machines there. If you're in the area pop in and say hi and watch some very serious competition on a narrow and quick track :eek:
Reactions: 2
Yes, best of luck Donald, let us know how you get on, but I do fear for you if Radler has had his hands on your pride and joy :eek:;):lol::lol:
Reactions: 1
I trust tim and ricky to do work on the car and I'm very happy with the results. The setup on the motec was beyond me tbh so it went to someone who knows their motec inside out and as it turned out, was a lot of work to do as there's a few wee tricks that are part of the ongoing development of the twincharger system.

There's no doubt the launch will be hard on the car so anything could happen and it's up to me to go through the logs and fine tune it over the weekend. I have 8 settings for launch via a rotary switch on the console to play with :angel:

I also installed one of the Magnus clutch line restrictors and have it setup to activate with launch control. My starts were never brilliant so this allows the system to reach a sensible rpm & boost level plus reduce the shock on the whole drivetrain. My starts should be consistent if not quicker. Best launch this year was 1.92s to 64ft which isn't brilliant. Will be interesting to see how different that time will be with launch control. She's never had LC working up until now so also another learning curve for me!
See less See more
launch

so what do you do with the type of launch control you have-press button and aim?:D
sounds like great stuff once you are used to it and select a mode that suits the day-good luck:smthumbup
I'm guessing, activate the LC, select first, foot to the boards on the accelerator (revs pre set in the ECU), then just step off the clutch and let the magnus gizmo slip the clutch :smthumbup

That's a lot of things to fine tune in two or three practice runs Donald, a lot of wiggly lines to look at!! :D

But the beauty of logging is that you can look back and see exactly what happened :smthumbup
so what do you do with the type of launch control you have-press button and aim?:D
sounds like great stuff once you are used to it and select a mode that suits the day-good luck:smthumbup
Arrive at the line, press clutch, switch on LC and once I get the green light I floor the throttle to activate launch rpm limit and the Magnus valve. A side-step of the clutch and if all holds together I should be hurtling towards the first corner at a healthy pace :D. The clock doesn't start until I move forward cutting the beam.
I'm guessing, activate the LC, select first, foot to the boards on the accelerator (revs pre set in the ECU), then just step off the clutch and let the magnus gizmo slip the clutch :smthumbup

That's a lot of things to fine tune in two or three practice runs Donald, a lot of wiggly lines to look at!! :D

But the beauty of logging is that you can look back and see exactly what happened :smthumbup
I'm learning as I go! LC is new to me, sort of a leap of faith the first time. I've done 6 launches and have a bit of wheel slip to 40mph with a rising rpm v's ground speed control.
Are you taking some spare clutch plates and transmission parts .. ?

Hope it stay dry for you ..
Are you taking some spare clutch plates and transmission parts .. ?

Hope it stay dry for you ..
I think the LC will be less hard on the transmission than my previous launches were but time will tell. If it just breaks things then it's back to the drawing board. The clutch plates are almost 2 seasons old now so there's a good chance they are nearing the end of their usable life.

Forecast looks ok but keeps changing. I don't have wets or inters so if it chucks it down then I won't be playing. It'll have to be very wet though. Still had plenty grip at Fintray on slicks in the wet as tread is only needed with standing water and very few tracks we compete on have standing water - unless it's absolutely hammering down. That's the chance I have to take as I can't justify £1500 for another set of tyres. The Avon slicks in the wet will still give more grip than any treaded tyre i could buy - except cut Avons ;)
See less See more
Have a great weekend Donald.. Maybe next year for us..
Have a great weekend Donald.. Maybe next year for us..
If all goes to plan we'll see you at Harewood this year ;)
1601 - 1620 of 2422 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.