Lancer Register Forum banner
2381 - 2400 of 2422 Posts

·
Twincharged
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,381 ·
Some photos of the Camaro :coolsm:

Still a bit of tidying to do which will get done over the next few months. I can't start any of the bodywork until I have all the panels here. It's either all or nothing because the colour is a tinted basecoat over silver and no one has managed to match it yet. The original colour formulation doesn't exist in the modern paint mixing schemes so I can't just replace some panels and paint to match. I painted it 30 years ago using Standox 'Special effects blue' so I know what's under that paint! It's done well but it needs almost every external panel replaced.

I'm waiting on coilovers for the rear to be made and I'll have to update the front suspension because both springs are weak and the shocks are knackered. It's also needing the carb jets changed because it's running a bit rich.

All the horrible vibrations have gone at least. With both halfshafts being bent and having the 350Ci flywheel instead of the 400Ci flywheel , the vibrations were extreme before all the work. It's a 350 engine with a 400 crank to take it to a 383Ci, but it had the 350 flywheel which didn't have the required counterbalance to suit the 400 crank :wallbang:

Attachments

·
NR555
7,456 Posts
Love it!

Reactions: Madmac

·
Twincharged
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,387 ·
Seriously love those, very nearly bought one many moons ago.
I have a freshly bored block coming for the spaceframe Camaro to get it back running. That car will be up for sale by autumn ;) :D

468ci big block with nitrous. It was doing 9s 1/4 mile :coolsm:

·
Twincharged
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,388 · (Edited)
Some video of the spaceframe camaro on the strip.

One of these is the last outing the car had. On the way home the engine took in rain water and lay all winter with water in the bores, hence why it needs a new block

·
Twincharged
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,390 ·
Happy new year folks!

I finally got round to posting a video from the last test session at boyndie. Its a pity the track isn't big enough to open her up properly.

Nothing more has been done to the car, she's in winter storage. Am onto the 68 spaceframe camaro now. New engine block is being built with a proper tidy up and paint under the bonnet

·
Twincharged
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,391 ·
Back to a shiny new forum!

Not much been going on with the car this year. I had another test day at Boyndie on Friday and ironed out a few minor niggles with the car. I've entered Forrestburn Hillclimb on the 13th and haven't been there for a while, can't remember when i was last there lol.

If the car survives Forrestburn, I'm entered for Doune Hillclimb the following weekend I expect both weekends to be more setting up the car and getting some much needed seat time than trying to go break records. I'll still be using the 6 year old slicks that were new when the engine blew at Harewood in 2015. I don't think it's worth a new set of tyres for the sake of a few events.

I'll report how it goes in due course

·
Twincharged
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,394 ·
The car is very different to how it used to be, and without having had much seat time I doubt i'll be pushing very hard. Maybe next year when I've had time to refine the controls and had more time out on track

I don't drive a road car much these days and it's almost alien to not be surrounded by Sprinter van. I expect to be a little rusty this year!

I'm just going out to have some fun. It's been 6 years of development and not many miles

Reactions: LEGNUMVR4 and Mita

·
Twincharged
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,395 · (Edited)
That's Forrestburn and 2 Doune Hillclimbs under our belt. I invested in a new set of Slicks for Forrestburn because the old ones were just too old to give decent grip

Forrestburn Sunday 13th June. Dry track, 14c and windy. I've not been there since 2011 when I set the CR at 45.55s so I was a bit rusty. Started off practice getting a feel for the car and playing with the dampers a bit more since this track has crests, off camber corners etc. Still getting some on-brakes oversteer. I added some front Low speed bump and reduced rear rebound and it's mad a big difference to the handling. I was still gaining confidence going into the timed runs and ended the day on 46.06s for a Modprod Division win! I wish I'd done the Saturday event as I would have had more time to get confident enough to push a bit harder.on the Sunday and go for the class record.

Here's the in-car video, quite scrappy in places though, backing off way too early and I knocked it up a gear by mistake after the hairpin. Definitely more to come if the weather is good at the next Forrestburn:

Doune
Saturday started very damp and since the track hasn't been driven on for nearly 2 years everyone took it easy on the first practice run. I did a 57s run, possibly the slowest run up Doune in 20 years! By the 2nd practice the track had started drying so I pushed on a bit and leaned on the car a bit more. I ended the day on a 45.87s, much better than I had aimed and hoped for. Another Class win and another Modprod Division win.

Rain overnight left the track a bit greasy for the morning practice, The track dried up a fair bit for the 2nd practice and I put in a banker of 45.64s. Getting confident enough to push harder on the first timed run I stropped the clock at 44.58s, lowering the class record I set in 2011!. On the 2nd timed run I tried to go quicker but ended up slightly slower on 44.74s, still below the old record. Another class win and Modprod win

Overall I'm happy with the car now and getting some confidence back after so long away from the hills. There's some fine tuning still to be done with the low throttle driveability and traction control. She's done a long dyno session, 3 test days and 3 hillclimbs without anything serious going wrong - definitely a good run of reliability! All i've had to do is the usual checks, pull the stones out of the bodywork between events and adjust the supercharger belt.

Here's the 44.58 run. No idea why the telemetry isn't working though, shame it would have been handy to have that. The last run today 44.74 has all the data so i'll post that up soon:

This new incarnation of the Twincharger is just mind blowing! 10 years and many hundreds of hours of development, she's pretty much there. Now I just need to go enjoy it and go as fast as I can, see what she's capable of

Next event is Fintray hillclimb in 2 weeks.

·
The better Dark Side
1,454 Posts
Well done Donald for moving the record on from the impressive time you did back in September 2014.

Thank you for helping Damien with his issues yesterday.

That will be a challenge to get down to the mid 44’s now. Fingers crossed my health recovers and I get the opportunity to come and have an attempt. 👍🏻

·
Twincharged
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,397 ·
Steven, it would be good to get some competition in the class to push me on again. I might venture south later in the year and have a crack at Harewood or Loton Park records again. The car is definitely fit for lowering records, just unsure if the driver is yet! If I see a chance to get a record, it would be rude not to try...

I'm happy to help anyone who needs it at an event, even if they are in my class and could potentially beat me! That's what Hillclimbing is about - cameraderie and not taking it too seriously. It's a fun weekend for competitors and no one wants to see anyone come all that distance to then retire a car. Mr Bradley did very well for his first time at Doune, I'm genuinely impressed at how quickly he managed to lower his times.

If you lower that mid 44 at Doune I will be the first to congratulate you. There were a few moments on that run i thought I was going to bin it!

Reactions: johnd and Mita

·
The better Dark Side
1,454 Posts
Steven, it would be good to get some competition in the class to push me on again. I might venture south later in the year and have a crack at Harewood or Loton Park records again. The car is definitely fit for lowering records, just unsure if the driver is yet! If I see a chance to get a record, it would be rude not to try...

I'm happy to help anyone who needs it at an event, even if they are in my class and could potentially beat me! That's what Hillclimbing is about - cameraderie and not taking it too seriously. It's a fun weekend for competitors and no one wants to see anyone come all that distance to then retire a car. Mr Bradley did very well for his first time at Doune, I'm genuinely impressed at how quickly he managed to lower his times.

If you lower that mid 44 at Doune I will be the first to congratulate you. There were a few moments on that run i thought I was going to bin it!
Yep, it’s all about fun, this is our outlet from the daily grind of high pressure businesses we run.

Sadly, some sad knackers out there turn it into a mission to ruin people’s weekends. There’s a user on the MLR that’s spent four years doing just that, and he’s oblivious to the fact he’s created himself a bad reputation where not a lot of people want anything to do with him!

Records are there to be broken, I was over the moon when Damien took my one from Harewood, and there’s more to come. I was genuinely impressed when you did the 44.5 and I asked Damien to congratulate you on my behalf.

Damien is still learning the craft, his first full season, and he’s doing brilliantly, learning quickly. Fingers crossed we get another go before you move it on further.

·
Twincharged
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,399 ·
Yes, a bit of competition is healthy!

The 2nd competition run link is below. I tried to run them side by side but can't get the sync right. I almost got it and could see glaring differences in time to reference points along the track. It's hooking up that perfect run that's the difficult bit

If there's anyone out there with more computer skills able to sync the 2 runs, It would be great to see them together! this run has telemetry

·
Twincharged
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,400 ·
We were at fintray hillclimb last weekend for a double-header. This is a short hill, 3 corners and 4 straights but fairly challenging.

Saturday the track was wet and greasy but it almost dried completely for the competition runs. I only got 2 'Dry' runs so I was still getting up to speed. I ended the day on a 28.7s and took the modprod trophy again.

Sunday started wet again but the track dried out by last practice in the morning so I was back up to speed, 28.4s in practice. Just before the competition runs it started raining again lightly but enough to dampen the track. The cars going up were around 2 seconds slower than practice times so any chance at the record was gone. The grip on the start straight felt good so I pushed quite hard and by the time I exited the final hairpin the rain was heavy. Thankfully from there it was a dash to the finish line. I stopped the clock on a 29.7s - provisional FTD. The rain continued and I decided not take the last run. No one managed to go faster so I ended the day with FTD., and the modprod trophy, 6 in a row now

The car is going great. No issues to speak of again. The twincharger setup is just incredible for hillclimbs, response is instant and power progressive. It has enough power on low boost to spin all 4 slicks in the damp and I havent had much opportunity to play with the traction control so I'm still being cautious to an extent.

Here's the in-car from the last run, a bit of a lock up at the end of the straight and into the hairpin. I backed off before the.finish as the car was sliding to the left in the wet.

Next event is fortestburn in 2 weeks. Let's hope the weather is better 🙏

2381 - 2400 of 2422 Posts