Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 17 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
11,373 Posts
My donor engine has arrived (thanks John). Other parts ordered and the block should be getting rebored next week. The head is at an engineering company down south to be repaired. I hope to be at Doune on the 19th September for the Scottish final. The new engine will need to be run-in on the dyno beforehand and the map checked.
Great news Donald :smthumbup

What Rods will you be going for this time?? And what will the engine spec be??

May I ask who does your engine builds? Is it yourself?

How many miles would you say you got out of the last engine? It obviously was driven pretty hard :lol::D

· Premium Member
11,373 Posts
Ring gaps and bearing clearances make up a very important part, as you say its your responsibility then :lol:

I can see your logic with the running in and the hone .

10 to 15 k on the engine is good going considering how hard a life it gets, plus you said its not always warmed up as it should be so i reckon thats bloody good going :)

Looking forward to seeing the new set up , best of luck, i for one am glad you have decided to go again :smthumbup

K1 crank & Wiseco HD 1400 pistons. R&R rods came highly recommended so i'll give them a try.

I usually build my own engines but one engine I had built by a local(ish) company didn't last too long so I'll be building this one myself. That way I can do the ring gaps and bearing clearances and if it goes wrong I only have myself to blame.

I once tried the long run-in method and it didn't bed the rings in properly. Every engine i've run in using the fast method has been a healthy engine ;). I'm a firm believer the new hone is only effective for around 20 miles so I bed the rings in quickly before the hone loses its edge. The bearings are run in by the time the engine is hot for the first time.

Total mileage is difficult as they were used when the car was a road car. For the last 7 years it's been so hillclimb focussed I never used it much on the road except testing miles. Probably around 10K to 15K miles. A season would be around 200 miles - hard miles though :lol:

· Premium Member
11,373 Posts
Sounds good Donald, I missed the Gearbox troubles? I'm assuming from running such big Tq..

Wow thats a long way to get a map! Where will you go now instead? Cant Simon come to you and use a local dyno?

I'm not surprised your interest levels are low. Winter is coming so you'll have some time away from it at least :smthumbup

I was going to update later today anyway: Not really much going on. I'm just getting on with small jobs around the car so when the engine is ready I can get it over for running in.

I'm still looking for a cam belt centre and lower cover. I also discovered the broken rod that came through the sump had hit the starter motor which then cracked the bellhousing - a 70mm crack around the starter socket :eek: so that needs welded. I have no idea yet if the starter is damaged.

Other than that, I'm just waiting for the cylinder head to arrive back then I can get going. There's no rush as Doune this weekend is the final SHC round, although there's a Sprint at Boyndie next weekend so if it's ready I can use that as a shakedown event.

I'm in no hurry though. TBH I've kind of lost interest in it for the moment. There's been a lot of issues and problems this year, broken driveshafts, gearbox issues, the crash at Doune then all the issues with the mapping (and the 4000 miles drive to get all that done :eek:) so my season was pretty much written off by June anyway. Much of this years problems were caused by the delays in getting parts over the winter and getting the dyno work completed. I won't be going back to Simon Norris so there won't be a 500 mile trek each way to get to a dyno.

Having said that, if I decide to go to the next stage I have a clear development plan for over winter and am not relying on anyone miles away for anything that could hold me up with getting it done in time. I hope to have the car ready in plenty of time for next season and hopefully where I want it to be, and if all goes to plan, the finale to the Twincharger project :coolsm:

· Premium Member
11,373 Posts
Well I won't start a debate off about the mapping, but thats not on. After all you've been through too.. Sorry to hear that.

On a plus side the 2 other projects sound good fun. Is the Gixxer NA??!! Or is it going crazy?!

I wish I was closer Donald, I'd love a chat and a nose round :lol:

It wasn't the torque as such but I had some selector problems at Fintray in May. I moved up to the Chevy 29mm spline on the box for strength and made a change to the selector mechanism which seems to have cured the problem.

I sent my map to a friend so he could give me a wiring spreadsheet for the Motec and expander as many of the pins had been changed recently and my own notes were miles out. In a nutshell, Simon told me he was withdrawing his support and future services because I did that. Suffice to say Simon won't be doing any more work for me.

I have the Rover SD1 to restore over the winter and a project ZX10/Gixxer hybrid bike to get ready for summer so I'll not be bored :lol:

1 - 17 of 24 Posts