Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys but the other day on a straight section of Mway, a new M3 was up my @rse and when the car in front of me pulled over I pelted it in 3rd from say 40 or 50mph right to the line then into 4th etc.. Basically, the M3 was right up my behind and didn't drop back one inch. I didn't want to pull over but when the middle lane was clear I did 'cos i'd feel like a **** if i didn't. I slowed down and he went past but basically he was easily as fast as me in the midrange between 40-100 and I consider myself pretty quick at gearchanges.

Just have to accept I suppose that new M3 is quicker. I seem to remember the Autocar 0-100-0 challenge where it took a warrender 340 to beat the M3.

Time to get an RS methinks ....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yup the M3 is faster 0-100 than the evo, in a straight line ;)

Nothing to be sad about, a few minor mods to the evo and it will be out in front, either that or hit something with a corner in it :)

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jackal

What does this mean trading for that b****y M*. I love the car but just can't bring myself to buy anything with a red and white badge on it! Get that RS Sprint or the EVO VII RS2 that CCC are going to import!

Jerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anyone wants to swap a sprint or lightweight rs with CR box for my GSR then let me know. After doing that airfield I also conviced that I gotta get rid of awful ABS and amp; AYC.

May just mod the 340r to 220bhp in the meantime for 340bhp/ton .... M3 won't live with that.

regards

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree with everyone except EvoBoy (obviously ;) )

An M3 out of the box will beat a GSR out of the box.

A GSR with cheapish mods will beat a standard M3.

Being an M3 owner, I'm fairly well qualified to say that, with around 5000 miles on the clock, the car is slower than with 10,000 on the clock. With only 2000 on the clock it's dog slow in comparison (especially at the top end of the rpm range). It's an engine that seriously has to loosen up.

This probably explains the variable results on the road and in magazine tests. Autocar's very fast results were achieved with a LHD demonstrator with loads of miles on the clock. EVO magazine's relatively poor results were achieved with a new'ish UK demonstrator.

I'm really going to resist getting too involved in this thread ... until Claudius turns up :D

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Original Post:
Well the new M3 ain't faster than my GSR , as several found out 2 their dismay last year :)
Oh ... and it didn't take much of a search to discover your GSR is far from standard. Of course it's faster than an M3!

Tut, tut, tut ;)

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That straight-6 is simply a work of art. You know its seriously sorted the instant you touch the gas pedal.

Be afraid, be very afraid!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i already knew that rich. that time on the way 2 bolney and that Z3M springs to mind :D :D how u getting on m8? fancy another blast round some lanes sometime? dnt call driod though scared he gonna show us up ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn't the EVO more about speed around twisty roads, to compare it to a car that is built for touring than cross country sprints is an odd comparison. My M8's old M5 mk2 (340 BHP), was awesome in the dry, try driving it the same after a monsoon like day and I'll see you at your local BMW garage for repairs. The EVO can driven like nutters machine in any weather with no compromise. Plus pay the difference to match the M3 price on EVO mods, and then check your rear view mirror.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
to compare it to a car that is built for touring

M3 built for touring??? Where did you read that (or did you just make it up)?

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My M8's old M5 mk2 (340 BHP), was awesome in the dry, try driving it the same after a monsoon like day and I'll see you at your local BMW garage for repairs

Oh, and that's not true either. Clearly someone didn't know how to drive a powerful RWD in the wet ;)

And yes, I used to own one :D

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL :D :D :D

Did you believe that droid? ;) Hehe. Seriously, the M3 and Evo are about the same in acceleration. In std form.

The difference is that:
the M3 is a perfectly built, high quality car
the Evo is a plastic POS
the Evo can be tuned to 1,5 bars with GBP 2,000
the M3 cannot be tuned with that little money to give an extra 70 bhp
for the same money as you spend on a std M3, you can get a 450 bhp Evo
no BMW can follow an Evo, even a std Evo, on a twisty road

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ian

Please excuse me. I made incomplete statements again.

I forgot to say that the M3 is for HAIRDRESSERS!!! :D :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you believe that droid?

Not for one minute. I know you much better than you think Claudius :D

Seriously, the M3 and Evo are about the same in acceleration. In std form

I think that's the closest you'll ever come to agreeing with me on our favourite subject. I think I might print this out and keep it for posterity. Anybody know somewhere I can laminate and frame A4?

And as for M3's being for hairdressers ... I completely disagree ... that's what Z8's are for!

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
for the same money as you spend on a std M3, you can get a 450 bhp Evo

Just out of interest ... where from? Or would you have to take a stock one and modify it?

(See, I'm really getting the hang of getting the post count up. You taught me everything I knew :) )

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:) Droid,
Don't get me wrong I truly loved the old E30 M3, awesome machine in the dry, but quite a handful in the wet, including the amazing PRODRIVE versions, in tarmac rallys they would be in podium positions in the dry and then fall quite low down the leaderboard in the wet (driven by professional rally drivers in the 80's), I think the late Bertie fisher use to compete in one, my view on 'to compare it to a car that is built for touring', I felt the new M3 is not quite as chuckable as the EVO or even the E30 M3, Superb car, but more of a tourer than nutters motor, but the power rush is still great in the new M3.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts