Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best mod to improve the low end before the turbo kicks in?

Exhaust / Air box? or what?

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2.2 stroker kit is the best way to increase low end torque. Air filter and exhaust tend to move power up the rev range.

Another way to get better off boost response would be milder cams, and increased compression via a thinner head gasket.

Also, higher compression pistons.

Finally, you could run anti-lag if you have an ECU that supports it, that will help, but at the expense of your turbo :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, another idea, and quite cheap too, is gearing. Put the shorter gearing in (you can almost pick and choose these) or the shorter final drive.

A lightened flywheel helps it spin up quicker, hence get on boost, hence feel less laggy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
superlight flywheel is the obvious answer (I have a JUN)
or a diet for your evo......lightweight wheels will make a *BIG* difference,
nitrous oxide ?

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I seem to remember an article that described how a lightweight flywheel only gives you a noticeable acceleration advantage in lower gears (i.e. 1st and 2nd). Can't remember where it was (and too tired to think about the physics at the moment) but I'll try to dig it out.

Lowering the overall gearing is an excellent way to improve in-gear acceleration full stop. Don't expect any improvements in the favourites like 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile etc. ... in some cases it will make them worse.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! It says there:

To show the sort of numbers that a real car might have, I did some calculations based on a car with average gear ratios and tyre sizes - the table below shows the number of Kg of mass that would have to be removed from the chassis to equate to 1 Kg removed from the O/D of the flywheel at a radius of 5 inches.

GEAR MASS KG
1 39
2 12
3 6
4 4
5 3

So in first and second gear this is a pretty important effect - I built an engine recently and managed to remove nearly 3 Kg from the outside of the standard flywheel - so that would be equivalent to lightening the car by over 100 Kg in 1st gear - not to be sneezed at in terms of acceleration from rest. With special steel or aluminium flywheels even more moment of inertia can be saved. The recent trend in racing engines to using very small and light paddle clutches and flywheels is therefore more effective in terms of the overall performance of the vehicle than it might first appear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Adverse effect in 5th gear? It's still equivalent to 3kg off the weight of the car for only 1kg lost from the flywheel.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lightweight engine internals (Ti rods) and external pulleys have a similar effect to lightweight flywheel.

In US underdrive pulleys for accessories are very popular.
Unorthodox Racing and AEM both make them for the Eclipse 4G63.
Not sure if they fit the evo's - I can get the Mitsubishi part numbers for the Eclipse pulleys - can anyone get the Evo part numbers???

http://www.aempower.com
http://www.unortodoxracing.com

Personally I don't like the removal of the standard crankshaft harmonic damper type pulley.

Also in 4G63 - balance shaft removal can significantly reduce engine inertia. Makes very little difference to engine smoothness and is 2 less things to go wrong - and yes they do go wrong!

Also lightweight prop-shaft (carbon) and drive shafts.
Lightweight brake discs (carbon F1 style).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can u get lightweight propshafts for the Evo? Time to check my Hyper Rev catalogue!

After removing the balancer shafts on a 4G63, my rallye team dynoed 2 bhp more, but probably also less inertia as you say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts