Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car started tapping loudly at high revs on way home from work but as it only did it between 3000 revs and gear change I thought it was just a bracket come loose or something.
Carried on driving for another 20 miles or so but it seemed to get more frequent.
Car seemed to run ok, boosted with no noise and pulled with no problem but as I was getting near my house the oil light started flickering then when I stopped it stayed on.

Car starts and ticks over with no unusual noise and just sits there purring with the oil light on and starts to rattle as you rev it.
I've checked the oil and it's still between the low and high mark.
Any ideas fella's?

I'm braced and ready for impact so hit me with it......:wallbang::mad:

·
Premium Member
11,656 Posts
Usually when the oil light flashes is because you have very very low oil pressure in the engine! For god sake don't drive it untill you get it checked but by the sounds of it the damage has already been done.

·
Registered
12,391 Posts
if the oil pumps fubared it would still have oil, but no pressure.

hope its not.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the sounds of it the damage has already been done. Does it have any oil in it?
Yeah like I said the oil is between the high and low level still.

The car starts, runs and drives fine just this bloody loud tapping under acceleration, when you lift off or drive at low revs its gone.

The oil light didn't start flickering on until about a mile before I got home and I havn't started it since until I find out what it is.

As I said it just sounded like a loose exhaust bracket or something at first but it's obviously something in the engine, maybe the oil pump starving?

How hard is it to do a pressure test?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when was the last time you did an oil change. Oil could be ****ed now and giving no pressure, hope you get it sorted
Oil was changed just before I bought the car a couple of months ago (or so I was told) can old oil cause these kind of problems?

·
Registered
525 Posts
thicker oil is effectively harder to push around, so pressure drops as a result... low pressure means oil won't flow everywhere properly and you risk something not getting a good enough supply and it seizing up.

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
Was it a private or trade sale, any comeback? The oil pressure warning light comes on at around 5 psi, so if anything has gone wrong it's normally too late anyway.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was it a private or trade sale, any comeback? The oil pressure warning light comes on at around 5 psi, so if anything has gone wrong it's normally too late anyway.
I bought it from Woodywoodpecker off here so I took his word that it had been done.

Wouldn't it effect the way the car ran if there was something gone or going in the engine?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Compression test and see if any of the cylinders is down dramatically from any others.

Drop the oil out of it an inspect it for metal at all (will appear gold specs)

I hate to say it but the damage already sounds to be done, although if it is ok on idle you may get away for a smaller bill.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What sort of damage are we talking about here?, I know it's hard to say but as a rough guide?

It seems strange that the ticking started a long time before any oil pressure problems.
Anyway I'll get a pressure test done and go from there, is it a DIY job doing a pressure test?

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
tick

the crank has a smallish big end journal so its probably the start of a big end rattle you are hearing.
do-NOT use the car,not even to drive to a garage,get it towed in.
if caught early a crank wil polish up and take shells,new oil pump etc-best to get oil pump/balance shaft bearings checked too.can happen without warning not necessarily anything to do with previous owner.
best of luck.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To be honest I don't see how he could have known about it and I certainly don't think old oil could cause this big a problem.

Looks like it's back off to the workshop then, I might get a full week of driving the bloody thing one day...:wallbang:

Bring back the N/A!!...:lol:

·
Registered
12,391 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
What sort of damage are we talking about here?, I know it's hard to say but as a rough guide?

It seems strange that the ticking started a long time before any oil pressure problems.
Anyway I'll get a pressure test done and go from there, is it a DIY job doing a pressure test?
Compression test and Pressure test are different things although both highlight the same issues.

Compression test is easy, get hold of a tester or purchase one (not oo expensive). Before doing this make sure that the injector fuse is pulled as this will give you inacurate readers. You are looking for major differences in the figures after cranking the engine 10 times (or until the needle stops moving).

+/- 10 psi is ok anything over is cause for concern, post the results up here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts