Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ian,
Can you please respond to my questions regarding problems that I am having with your brakediscs?!
Put message on your answer machine over a week ago and emailed you, but got no response yet.
René
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i fitted some handmade 2 piece rotors to my car recently cost $nz1000

bedded pads in carefully first as per instructions in the box, then went supersonic and amp;gt;240k and then braked to the maximum, repeated got fade as expected

let brakes cool completely and then, repeatedly, took the car up to top speed and amp;gt;260 indicated and braked to a virtual stop
eventually the srf gave up (needs replacing as 18months old) and the pedal went soft

max temp only around 600C so will try again once the fluid is replaced should start to glow at about 680-700 so nearly there

currently no warp, too early to say if this is the final result, will do more testing

andrew

btw the pads squealed like mad on the drive out and were completly silent (well may be a slight high pitched squeak) on the drive back

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ian,
Must say I am unpleasantly surprised by your answer to my questions.
Can you please respond to another email I sent you.
René

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rotors fitted perfectly are about 5mm thicker but still enough meat for the nuts
dialed hubs and then hubs |PLS| rotors and ok

material is made locally here in nz in own foundary, heat treated, etc, etc

was left footing it today around town due to squeal and seemed to survive, gained bite and shut up

max temp about 600C so far

andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just done

did about 15 stops aimed for 200-80, some were as high as 220, others as low as 160, most at about 200 though, pedal held up pretty well too(reloaded with srf)

andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that s very good andrew if they can stand that sort abuse that they are track ready

did you use the standard caliper?

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you are supposed to be looking at the rotors! - actually the rotors look a bit boring
bridgestone potenza 540s

andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brakes can't have got that hot, as the callipers turn purple/brown and stay that colour. If you can turn the callipers brown, and not warp the discs you've got it sorted. I haven't met anyone who has done this yet.

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The paint goes on a red/orange color. At about 800F to 950F it will turn a pale orange. At 950F to 1000F you will start to see some yellow and orange blend. 1000F to 1175F will be yellow. 1200F|PLS| will be a pale yellow color. 1475F|PLS| it will turn grey green.

pale yellow definately, ive checked twice now, would take a picky but that involves taking the wheel off and i am in town at the moment and trolly jack and torque wrench are out at the farm

heat dissipation is either to the air or to the wheel, wheel is a lot more effective but design of the bell is critical to acheive this

i love red rotors

later
andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
silver,

you miss the point here i think. Its a testament to the design of these rotors that in fact the caliper hasn't overhaeted under hard use. After all you don't want a massively hot caliper - you want to get rid of the heat to the air.

andrew, i assume you tested the brakes with those semislick tyres which will test em much harder than i can with my granny Yoko AVS. At $1000NZ i am well tempted. thats £300 in real money. probably have to pay duty |PLS| freight £100? still good value.
if they are 5mm thicker then presumably that increases the front track by 10mm. Noticed any effect of this????? had your standard brakes warped?

Ta

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, point taken about the discs dissipating heat better. It's just that when I, and 2 friends, ran Dragon's Mk3 alu bells we all turned the callipers brown permanently. they also warped..... Incidently, that's with mintex F4R pads which do get very very hot and never fade, oh and full slicks on track. Wheels actually have rust spots now, as the pads have shaved the standard discs and left bits of metal on teh wheels. time to get the whell cleaner out I think.

Adrian

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.