Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys selling my 306 D turbo because I want a change for my 2nd car I have been looking at the following
I got 6k to spend max.
Golf GT TDI
Seat Leon TDI
Ford Focus TDCI
All the golf and seat ads seem to state the BHP in advert the focus do not anyone know what the BHP is on the TDCI ?
Looking at a few 01 or 02 plates but they never quote BHP.
Any opinions which is best to get ?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
The old shape Focus TDCI was a 1.8l with 115 bhp: the new shape Focus is either a 2l with 135bhp or a 1.6l with 108bhp (though the new one will be outside your budget).

Just happened to have the brochure handy, I'm not that much of an anorak ;)

Steve.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I think the 1.8's were always 115bhp, but the old shape also had a 1.6 version with 100bhp, so just make sure what engine size you're getting :) Might have to dig out an old 'What Car' mag :blush: to check tonight...

·
Gav
7,579 Posts
Our pool cars that I ragged around France last year were the 115 versions but they did do a sub 100 version. I can confirm that down the largest hill I could find, I hit the governer in 5th at an indicated 139 mph. :eek: I **** you not.
They handle ok too, though all hire cars do don't they ;)
Mini rally stage from hotel to work every day. 18 miles of single track twisties, 13 mins :cool:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Can't find those What Cars but Gav (Knoxville) has confirmed what I thought that they do a 100bhp ish version.

BTW agree with Gav, the old shape focuses handle quite well for boggo hatches, and have good steering feel - the wife has a 2l petrol version and its quite good fun to hustle round b roads (just a bit coarse when you rev the tits off it :D )

Happy hunting.

·
OAP
1,832 Posts
Seat Leon's are OK - I've got a Leon Cupra TDI which goes pretty well :) Basically a Golf with a different shell dropped onto it and better value. Cupra TDI is around £2K cheaper than the equivalent Golf. Test drove a 130 TDI (Cupra TDI was only just released at the time) and it went really well and I should think better fuel economy than the Cupra TDI. You might be able to get one within your price range or failing that the 110 TDI?

Also the new Focus looks very like the Leon - buy a couple of Ford badges and a cheap private plate and people will think you've got a Mk 2 Focus :crackup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Watch the clutches on the Golfs and clones. The Golf diesels and GTi's (and the same engined clones..SEAT etc.) use Dual Mass Flywheels which can leak and wreck the clutch within as little as 10k miles with major expense to replace (£1k+) and they don't payout on the warranty. Happened to a mate with an '02 GTi, only done about 16k miles.
VW know about the problem but are keeping quiet.

If it does happen ditch the Dual Mass and fit a performance flywheel/clutch combo...only £400-£500.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice guys I looked at a few ford focus the 90bhp ones I think ghia models only saw one 100bhp and for the money it was not worth it I ended up getting Sean Leon SE TDI 110 drives very nice goes quite well and has lots of extras. I got 2500 for my 306 on trade in !
I found a company near me that will chip it for £200 and claimed 150bhp not bad for £200 so I think I will get that done :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Focus TDCi's come in 90bhp model, 100bhp model and also the 115bhp model. You can tell if you open the bonnet and check the engine cover, it will have the number on it. Well, at least the 115ps one does.

N.B. Watch your insurance has the correct car insured......my pal had a 115ps and gave the reg number to his insurance. He only found out when he put the car on its roof, that Tesco insurance had it down as a 90ps on their records!!! :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts