Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I looking for a little advice.

Ive had a little look around the forum and not found anything in relation to my problem so ive started a new thread, but please if there is anything here that will help just point me into the right direction.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0L DiD GS4.

Its been parked up for a week unused. Ive gone to get in it today only for my key not able to unlock the car (using the buttons or the actual key. Eventually we had to break into the car and open from the inside, so now we can start it up, which it does no problem.

The MMCS does not come on at all, but i can press the open button and it will respond as though you wanted to put a disc in and obviously it will close again. Thats all that happens with that,

The fans do not work at all

The button inside to make the side mirrors fold in and out do not work.

The heated seats do work.

The cigarette lighter/car charging port does not work.

Ive left it running now just to see if once the engine gets to temp to see if the radiators fan will kick in.

Finally, as I said inititally the doors wont lock/unlock with the bottons on the key and also the boot wont lock/unlock either.

So far ive checked the fuses as best i can under the bonnet at passangers side and behind glove compartment.

I must add that the weather has been bad, snow and frost so initially we were thinking it had frozen up on us.

Any thoughts would be great as we would just like to know what we are looking at before we finally cave and take it to the Mitsubishi garage which im happy to do really.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
With so many issues at once it sounds like a CAN bus or ETACs problem to me as either the communication between all the different systems isn't working or the controller itself isn't working correctly.

I'm assuming you don't get any error codes if you hook up and OBD reader and you aren't getting any warnings on the instrument cluster when you put the key in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With so many issues at once it sounds like a CAN bus or ETACs problem to me as either the communication between all the different systems isn't working or the controller itself isn't working correctly.

I'm assuming you don't get any error codes if you hook up and OBD reader and you aren't getting any warnings on the instrument cluster when you put the key in?
Thanks for replying. We have had it hooked up to the diagnostics and no error codes come up. I'm feeling this is goi g to be a very expensive fix?

·
Premium Member
22,023 Posts
You say you've checked the fuses 'as best you can' but ideally before going further, you want to check each one 100%, if you have access to a meter, check continuity with that, if not be sure with each 1

Has the car had any work done recently, or any intermittant issues appeared recently?

Stu

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not sure if ths helps or not as i dont much about your model but, when mitsi managed to screw up my car during the airbag recall , the clock, central locking, trip computer, headlight warning buzzer, amoung other things all stopped working. I did some checking through the wiring diagrams and found almost all went through ETACS ecu.

I eventually tracked to blown transit fuses that are used when the car is new so the dealers car move it around but stops certain systems from functioning. The car starts and runs fine but all the little things dont.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Thanks for replying. We have had it hooked up to the diagnostics and no error codes come up. I'm feeling this is goi g to be a very expensive fix?
If it's a generic OBD diagnostic reader you've got hooked up then it won't show the ETACs errors - you need either MUTIII or possibly EvoScan instead.

It does sound like it's either an ETACs issue or a problem with the wiring harness (possibly water ingress or something left disconnected if work has been done recently).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's a generic OBD diagnostic reader you've got hooked up then it won't show the ETACs errors - you need either MUTIII or possibly EvoScan instead.

It does sound like it's either an ETACs issue or a problem with the wiring harness (possibly water ingress or something left disconnected if work has been done recently).
Ahh ok.

It was hooked up to the garages diagnostics. I'm presuming that will be a generic one. I have it booked in to the Mitsubishi garage for the 15th Jan. Joy! Hopefully they should be able to sort it out.

We are used to the older car where there was a problem we could buy the part and fix it now with all the computers that's in them we are in totally new territory.

Thanks for you help. At least now when they come back to us as tell us what it is we have a rough idea what's going on. (Googled cam bus and etac faults lol). I'll leave an update on the outcome so if anyone else has same problem this post will help them out.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You say you've checked the fuses 'as best you can' but ideally before going further, you want to check each one 100%, if you have access to a meter, check continuity with that, if not be sure with each 1

Has the car had any work done recently, or any intermittant issues appeared recently?

Stu
Will try to look at all the fuses, thanks. We dont have access to a meter at the mo tho.

We had a lovely German tourist (we live by Loch Ness. Full of visitors) smash into our drivers front side of the car. Only damage done was body work which has now been repaired. Not long after we had the front discs and pads replaced. I wouldn't have thought that would have contributed to this issue but who knows lol. Other than that there hasn't been any other problems. The car has been an absolute pleasure to own and drive.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Premium Member
22,023 Posts
Will try to look at all the fuses, thanks. We dont have access to a meter at the mo tho.

We had a lovely German tourist (we live by Loch Ness. Full of visitors) smash into our drivers front side of the car. Only damage done was body work which has now been repaired. Not long after we had the front discs and pads replaced. I wouldn't have thought that would have contributed to this issue but who knows lol. Other than that there hasn't been any other problems. The car has been an absolute pleasure to own and drive.

Thanks for your advice.
Maybe worth a look around that area, make sure no wires are shorting or water damaged. Ive never hears about the transit fuses mentioned above, but that sounds like it could be worth looking into

Ultimately fuses are by far the easiest thing to check first, maybe worth looking in the manual to see if there are any unexpected fuses too, earlier evos for example have 2 big fuses on the battery positive terminal connector

Stu

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe worth a look around that area, make sure no wires are shorting or water damaged. Ive never hears about the transit fuses mentioned above, but that sounds like it could be worth looking into

Ultimately fuses are by far the easiest thing to check first, maybe worth looking in the manual to see if there are any unexpected fuses too, earlier evos for example have 2 big fuses on the battery positive terminal connector

Stu
Thanks Stu. Once they have been checked I'll post an update. Hope we get sorted soon. Hate it just being sat their. 😊

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Is the battery good? Doesn't sound good if you can't get into the car!!

Please update this thread if you get a result, as it would be handy to know as I have the same car, but not seen these symptoms sorry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for all their help and advice. It was all spot on. The Mitsubishi garage have confirmed it was a faulty ETAC. The part will cost a couple hundred quid then he said it will be a few hours labour for replacing it. Costly but not as costly as we thought it would be. Extremely happy all in all. If it wasn’t for this site I wouldn’t have had a clue what the garage was going on about so a massive thank you.

Just quickly in response to Foz’s Question. Yes the battery was fine. That was our first thought too.

Cheers again.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Thanks for the update Helen. I'm glad to hear that the problem has been identified and that you will be back on the road soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts