Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a really simple question for many of you - but from others I have asked I have receieved conflicting opinions.

If I have my car bricked/jacked up, and spin one front wheel one way, which way will the other go IF I have a LSD?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Depends what type of LSD it is.
As I understand it with plated front diff with all four wheels off the ground the opposite front wheel will turn in the same direction when the other one is rotated.
If you have a Torsen (helical) front diff then with the same test they will rotate in opposite directions just like with an open diff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks HH6 for the response. This would explain why some people have told me BOTH explainations :(

Ohh I am so confused

Do you know what sort of front lsd's the earlier evo's came with (only the RS versions as I understand it) and also what would be the most common type of LSD?

I suppose the only other options open to me are:

1) pull it appart to find out what is inside :(
2) put one wheel on grass verge and other on tarmac, and accellerate off and see if the one on the grass spins (I think this would prove the point yes?)

Very confused :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a follow on question on LSDs to HH6:

What is the difference between 1.5 way and 2 way LSDs? Which is more suited for fast road applications ans how would you tell which one you had?

Cheers,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try this url:

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/limited_slips_differential_101.htm

Quite a good description of LSDs.

Laurence

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
E3xtra,
Not sure on the earlier Evo's, RS's usually get plated diffs.
As you say pulling away on a surface with different friction levels under each wheel will show up a LSD.
Cornering hard from standstill, say when pulling out of a side road, can also show it up. The inside wheel will spin if you don't have a LSD (I know mine did on occansion when the bolts broke in the diff, it doesn't do it now ;)).

1-way, 1.5-way and 2-way describe whether the LSD torque transfer occurs under acceleration only (1-way), under acceleration and braking (2-way) or is bias towards acceleration but still provides some transfer under braking (1.5-way). 2-way is best for motorsport, 1.5-way for the road, 1-way I believe is the most common used though.
Laurences link is quite useful in explaining it better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I *believe* the Evo 2 and 3 have a 1.5 way rear diff (the front is open as standard even on the RS models)
This is for GSR or RS. Definatly no front slipper as standard, which is why the 4 RS (which came with one as standard) had a big thing made about it having one.
Evo 1 has no LSD front or rear, obviously in all cars the centre diff is a viscous coupling which operates like a slippy diff.
Quite a few come in from Japan with aftermarket front and rear slippys fitted however....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to clear the matter up.
The E4 GSR and RS DID NOT have a front LSD as standard, it was an option and only on the RS. It's an easy mistake to make because every article I have read on buying E4's and the history of the Evolutions has incorrectly said the GSR has a front LSD...THEY NEVER GOT ONE! The same goes for all the later Evo's, GSR's don't get a front LSD, RS's get them as an option. RS2's have them as standard it seems. GSR's only got front LSD's by accident when the factory ran dry of open diffs and chucked in LSD's for a while, this happened on the E6 GSR not sure about the earlier Evo's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Issue of front LSD's being fitted to Evos both early and later is a very grey area. I've an Evo II drivetrain in my car and it came with both front! and rear LSD's, also another Evo II gearbox I have stripped had a front LSD fitted. Both front LSD's are of the plated type by the way ie: wheels turn the same direction on the same axle.

Here's a photo of the LSD from the stripped Evo II gearbox. (ANYBODY WANT IT???:D)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paul,
Yep it is a grey area, I can't really comment on early Evo's but the Tech manuals say what I have said above regarding factory options on the E4 and later. I guess it was the same with earlier Evo's but who knows! The trouble with any imported car, especially second hand, is you don't know whats been fitted after the car left the factory, as Tony says LSD's are probably a popular upgrade in Japan, god's knows Cusco make enough of 'em ;).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm well it looks as though I probably dont have a front one :( But I can always get one I suppose :D

In any case when the car gets back on it's feet I will go and find a nice area to test these theories :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Colin, I remember being very impressed when you told me your car had an RS spec helical geared front diff fitted in your GSR. Shortly after your diff went, mine also went ( bolts came loose/ sheared ) taking out the CWP. But whilst all apart, I also noticed that my T reg GSR 6 has a Hellical geared RS front diff in it too! I have since replaced it with a standard open diff to reduce the torque steer through the front wheels when coasting round a bend, and kept the other diff for my rally car.
I still find it hard to belive they threw a £1000 upgrade in due to short stock of the original part, unless they knew these bolts were faulty and wanted shot of them!
All the best, RogerRally

1 - 12 of 12 Posts