Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought evo 8 4 weeks ago with 2800 miles on it 800 miles later clutch seems to be burned out took it to dealer and thy told me not covered under warranty whats that all about?? 700.00 to replace :cry: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wouldnt have that, you only did 800 miles in it.

Threaten legal me thinks..... If only i dealt with my clients like that....I woulnt have a buisness for long :moon:

·
Registered
217 Posts
evo clutch

I have heard from a ralliart mechanic that after 6 standing starts on the standard clutch you will start seeing slip or poor performance after. You basically burn it out, I mean the type of standing starts whereby before you launch you have very high revs and drop the clutch.

Now I have done only one ever in the time of owning my evo and did smell burning after possibly due to me slipping the clutch for too long to create a smoother take off and fastest start.

They are notoriously weak for the type of car and power. Sorry to hear the cost etc, have you tried going back to whom you bought it from and asking them to replace it. If it was a private sale you won't get far with that route however dealer should recognise that with the milage you have done it should be fine.

Good luck

Napier

·
Registered
396 Posts
my VII needed clutch and flywheel very early on in the first year of ownership from new ('bout 7k miles if i remember). I was pi**ed off. Mitsi told me to bog off when I tried a warranty claim.

I never launch the car, so I was not impressed.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Re: evo clutch

Napier said:
I have heard from a ralliart mechanic that after 6 standing starts on the standard clutch you will start seeing slip or poor performance after. You basically burn it out,
Probably about right if done in quick sucession. Letting things cool down in between or one every now again shouldn't hurt too much

Now I have done only one ever in the time of owning my evo and did smell burning after possibly due to me slipping the clutch for too long to create a smoother take off and fastest start.
...very bad for the clutch, better to side step the pedal !

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Its bummer I agree but u r unlikely to get anywhere, as you can't prove u didn't burn it out and they can't prove u did.

This is a problem with all 4wd cars as the tyres have more traction than the clutch. With 2wd the tyres just spin, 4wd they don't!.

give it a go on the warranty tho, make their life a misery!! If they don't play ball get it fixed elsewhere so they don't profit!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
...and go easy on the braking cos if the disks warp...not covered on warranty. Mitsi/Brembo pads are ******* expensive too (190 for front, 160 for rear)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi,

I would not expect the clutch to burn out after that number of miles. The warranty does not cover "fair wear and tear" - a clutch going after 3600 miles is NOT fair wear and tear and you should point this out to them.

James.

·
Registered
878 Posts
...and go easy on the braking cos if the disks warp...not covered on warranty. Mitsi/Brembo pads are ******* expensive too
Not true - if the discs warp then they a clearly not 'fit for purpose'. I will be reporting my disc problem at my 4500 service due in the next week or so and if they give me that crap they'll be hell to pay.

James.

·
Registered
112 Posts
jcremonini said:
Not true - if the discs warp then they a clearly not 'fit for purpose'. I will be reporting my disc problem at my 4500 service due in the next week or so and if they give me that crap they'll be hell to pay.

James.
Good luck James. Mine didnt show problems to 12K .and I ran them in as per the manual.......£84 for a skim, now OK..

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I had warping problems on my 6 after 18000 miles the discs were no were near minimum thickness so i tried the not "fair wear and tear" argument, got no where! in the warranty for the 6 the discs are covered upto 8000 miles only.

Most manufacturers consider warping to be a design/manufacturing fault and will replace them without argument, i suspect mitsubishi know that the EVO's achilles heel is disc warping due to design faults (wheel bearings too small?) and hence they are not covered under warrantee!

I agree that a clutch going at low mileage without any abuse must be a warrantee issue but it is extremely difficult to prove that u have not abused the clutch, so they have u by the short and curlys!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi Tony,

Thanks - I have a bit of a history in getting things my way when it comes to warranty claims it so it'll be interesting to see what they say. Watch this space.

James.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Good luck and give em hell!

I was in the midst of battle, (about to get signed statements from 2 friends who are Chartered automotive engineers) when my car got nicked, saved me alot of hassle!!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Brewer,
Go back to garage, and quote this to them, be calm, take notes on who was there who you spoke to, and say this,

The sale of goods act 1979, states.

goods must be of satifactory quality, this means free from defects, they must be fit for the purpose , they should be durable do what they are designed for and survive a reasnable length of time.

That time is not fixed, the comsumer has redress when a product is used normally but wears out or breaks.

If you have used the vehicle in the right manner, ie, if as previouly stated in some another reply, that you have been doing lots of full on starts, then you may fall foul under the "used normally " part.

If the garage still gives you shite then, tell them you will be writing to them and issuing county court summons for teh repairs and also for a loan vehicke whilst yours is off road, and that you will be getting the local papers involved to do a story on shady gararge.

Be firm, be calm, and take notes, better still a dictaphone and record it all,

it should do the trick.

·
Registered
217 Posts
you also fall under the new consumer regs if the purchase is less than six months old (at time of fault) then the onus is on the manufacturer to prove that the goods were of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose etc at the time of purchase. If they cannot then it is assumed there was a defect at the time of sale.

Tbh you would have reasonable grounds to have it repaired free of charge. Obviously it is a clutch and will need replaced so your remedy could be cost of replacement then minus any usage you have had (albeit 800 miles) You would then need to contribute that amount of usage toward the cost of replacement-the seller would then be liable for the rest of the cost.

the problem with a clutch is it will be classed as a consumable item and therefore not covered under the sale of goods in the same way.

you also have problems with the term faulty- the clutch has worn out (albeit to quickly) so your argument could be durability under sale of goods Act 1979 (as amended).

At the time of sale youe were aware of the mileage 0f 2800 so it would be assumed you were aware the clutch was in a used condition.

your argument of durability would therefore be weakened as the car had covered 3600 miles. I would however expect the clutch to last a lot longer than that (depending on how it was driven)

you will have to fight tooth and nail for mitsi to honour this as there is a possibilty of them setting a precedence if they do yours.

courts reluctant to allow floodgate instances such as this and therefore you could lose on a basis like this- they will not tell you this- just dismiss your claim based on the fact it is a consumable item.

Hope this info helps in whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
If everything else fails and think you must resort to action get yourself a solicitor as many people think they can defend themself and as it turns out there are usually things that even the judge will tell them what they should have done prior to starting a court case (eg if the car was bought on finance its the finance company's responsibility to sort it out) etc.

Also I think a lot of judges take a dim view on joe public telling them how to interpret law. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
GlobalGB said:
If everything else fails and think you must resort to action get yourself a solicitor as many people think they can defend themself and as it turns out there are usually things that even the judge will tell them what they should have done prior to starting a court case (eg if the car was bought on finance its the finance company's responsibility to sort it out) etc.

Also I think a lot of judges take a dim view on joe public telling them how to interpret law. :D
go to CAB or trading standards first- it cost you nothing and if they still dont listen go to a solicitor then- easier to claim these costs back then.

I have been up against jo public a few times in court and some judges are very much like that. I have had the odd one or two- especially in Scotland where the judge has been very jo public friendly, especially if they are up against a large company.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
i cant see you getting anywhre with your clutch issue.

the reason it was withdrawn from the warranty was that people dont use it properly. its not like a 2wd car that if you give it too much revs you will spin the wheels. if you are lifting the clutch with 2 much revs all you are goon do is wear the clutch and thats what a lot of people do on these cars.

you cant expect the manufacturer to shell out for user mis-use. just learn to be a bit more delicate with it. :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts