Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it not time for us COLLECTIVELY to take legal action against Mitsubishi for what is clearly a fault with, what, 95% of EVO 6 cars exported to the UK? If ALL of us chipped in for a test case they may back off due to all the bad PR they would get. Surely brakes are a VERY important safety feature in ANY car, no court in the land can argue with that, but we'll need an Independant Expert to back up our case. Your comments would be appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Victor,
Last November Colt Cars announced an official recall for dodgy A.Y.C. on some Evo 4 and amp; 5 models.As far as I am aware 6 months down the line nobody has had their car rectified including me.I fully support what you are saying about the front disc problem(I have had warped discs too)but what chance is there of success if we can`t get our cars sorted after an official recall?

Paul.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul, We need someone with some clout within the Motor Industry to back our case, there must be someone out there, even someone who owns an Evo6, who can back up our claims. I just can't believe we have not got a case with so many Evo 6 owners saddled with the same problem! Come on there must be someone out there with a legal background who can advise us on this!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to add my 5p worth.

I have never used my car on the track (and never will) and don’t consider myself a hooligan, but have managed to knacker my disks in less than 9K miles.

Clearly there is a problem and a growing band of people are realising this.

We just need a lawyer to purchase one of our beloved cars and we will be onto a winner (no win no fees).

Our time will come and not before time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have to disagree with points raised earlier
u say that after an official recall noone is getting their ayc replaced
well i have , today in fact all under warranty with little hassle
i read with interest all the posts about people moaning about they cant find any info noone will talk to them etc
well i have had my evo 5 5 weeks
i read about the recall and phoned ralliart
they put me on to mitsi colt uk and the first guy i spoke to asked for my chassis number
he confirmed my car was affected and that i should contact ralliart
iam quite local so i took a trip down
their technical director sorted it for me
the parts were in stock and i booked the car in
all done and no hassle
so my experience is that there is not a problem getting it done

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have to realise that most people have had their cars a lot longer than 5 weeks and have been promised time and again that it would be sorted and nothing has happened. It could be that the parts have finally arrived and you were lucky but a lot of people have been waiting upto 6 months and still nothing!
I suggest anyone still waiting to get in touch with CCC again as it looks like the ECU's may have arrived.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
covevo

I read with interest that you got your AYC ECU replaced by Ralliart. I have been onto CCC for 5 months now http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > and have still got nowhere.

Was your E5 bought from Ralliart ?

Regards,
Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a brakes topic but:

covevo

I contacted Ralliart and they are only replacing the AYC ECU's on the affected cars they imported, so yours must have came in through Ralliart. They have 50 in stock to cover themselves. Everyone else has to go through the CCC route.

I have contacted CCC for the past 5 months, thats right months!!! and still have no ECU.

So you are lucky

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cant belive you guys are talking about taking MMC to court! Do you want them to stop making cars like the Evo's? Has any body had a problem with the Evo 7 or what about the Ferrari F40? wasn't that where the brakes were designed for by Brembo?

The WRC cars are a different kettle of fish to road evo's water cooled AP brakes for a start, even GrpN cars cook discs, if you all think that there is a design problem rather than a too heavey right foot get a professional engineering company like Prodrive to investigate before you contemplate taking a company like Mitsubishi to court remember they are not small, and can three consecutive world championships be wrong?

Dunc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have done 4 track days, two more at Don Palmer clinic and he drove my car really hard but I have got NO disc problem till today 20K miles already.

Maybe i am lucky but the Japs I spoke to never complained about Brembo brakes at all too.
They claimed brembo are the best.

lawrence

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dunc

Sounds like you don’t drive a latter model EVO.

If you did you would realise that there is a serious problem here.

Owning a Ferrari with the same brakes and no problems, shows that something is awry.

Black EVO 6

I think the majority of owners do think that you are lucky.

Mine have gone without ever bloodying its nose on the track and in my opinion, not abusing it on the road either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cant see what the fuss is about
every car has its faults,and if its high performance then more so
with evos its the brakes
im on my second set,if it costs a few hundred pounds every few thousand miles,then either accept it,or buy a different car (with a different fault ?)
im happy with mine
all in all , i think we got a bargain

as for taking them to court saying they are dangerous,the solicitor will cost you more than the discs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love my Evo but I also think that a brake failure is an important fault.Evo is a very fast car and its acceleration is indescribable, that´s why I need a good brake system with no faults;and I think that nobody loves playing with their lives.
This problem needs to be solved.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
brake FAILURE,thats a different matter
warping is not brake failure !
the discs warped on my cosworth sierra
the discs warped on my audi quattro
i had to replace them
its annoying,as you tend to drive round the problem till its fixed
dut a bit of vibration could hardly be called dangerous

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry if I gave you guys the impression that I owned a Ferrari, I dont, and yes I have had the warp problem, my brakes are the Evo 1-3 type, they still warp. As well as being a MLR member I'm also a member of Mitsubishi Motors Owners club and I will contact them to see if they will shed any light on the Evo VI problems.

Dunc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since first posting this topic it looks as though this problem MAY have been solved. If you all look under the BRAKES section, the posting beginning HOORAH , you will find it has a lot of interesting comments, one of them being that the fault all along might have been the brembo pads alone.One owner has fitted the Mintex cut down pads only and has noticed a remarkable improvement, with no steering shudder. Has anybody else fitted these pads alone and had the same result?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Victor

Have a look in this weeks Auto Car on class actions.

It seems that the Audi RS4’s wheels where bending rather easily.

It wasn’t until several disgruntled owners got together, via the Internet, that Audi admitted there might be a problem and replaced the wheels free of charge.

There definitely is a problem with the EVO’s disks and from reading all of the posts to date, it is not likely to be sorted just by different pads.

Sadly, with my grey import I probably have little comeback.

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Zippy, I did start off by saying,like the Audi owners have done,let's try and get reaction from CCC with the THREAT of legal action, but as you can see, there has been very little support for this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't think of any performance car that I have owned that has got adequate brakes. The only cars I know of that have brakes that work time after time are the Porsches, or the Elise/Caterham brigade, who have less problems because of light weight. Jaguar XKR, TVR Griffith 500, TVR Tuscan Speed 6, Subaru Impreza P1, BMW M5 - these are all examples of cars with brakes that are not even able to consistently stop the car. The EVO's brakes are very strong, but are a compromised design. MMC could have designed them not to warp, simply by using smaller rotors and calipers, but then they wouldn't be as strong - and we would all complain about that. It is not uncommon for high performance cars to go through discs in 10 or 20 thousand miles. Even my old Nissan 200SX had this problem. If MMC put better brakes on, the car would simply cost alot more. If you up the power of your EVO or use it on the track, you are outside the design envelope, so can't really complain. Most of the guys here are enthusiasts, and there aren't that many EVO owners that don't tweak their cars. On that basis, given that there are not that many standard EVO Vi's around, it will be hard to fight a case cost effectively.

I tried taking a TVR dealer to court recently, and the finance company, over the quality of my Tuscan Speed 6 which was terrible - in the end my solicitor advised me to drop it, as even though the evidence was overwhelmingly in my favour, the costs would exceed the benefits IF I won.

Admittedly as simple mod would be the brake ventilation ducting, which Power Engineering has done on my car. MMC could have done this standard, and mass-manufactured would not have added much cost. Those who use it on the road would probably not have a problem then (particularly with new brakelines and 5.1 fluid).

Just my ten pence worth...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.