Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just after a little info if anyone can help, its regarding breaching of employment contracts due to not being able to work out the full notice required due to needing to start a new job. Contract states 3 months but its looking more like 1 month full time followed by another month part-time before having to start the new job, what would one be liable for by breaching a contract this way in the real world ? Ive done quite a bit of searching on the net and seen the ins and outs but no real info on what is the likely outcome if the employer starts to get funny and wont agree on the shorter notice.

Thanks for you help in advance :)

Cheers
Ian

·
Twincharger Guru
4,565 Posts
Your employer must have a pretty good reason to have a 3 month period to replace an employee. Best thing is to speak to your boss and find out how he/she feels about letting you leave earlier and see if you can work something out. A contract is there to protect both sides so you might find it difficult if your employer want to be a prat about it. I have a standard 4 week notice period with my employees which has been respected so far but no idea how I'd stand legally if I tried to deduct wages etc

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i dont know legally but a contract is a contract and legally binding
im on a 3 months notice contract and know if they wanted to say they need 3 months to replace then i couldn't do anything really about it
depends on your employer if they could be bothered to do anything legally about it
best as previous post to talk to them and agree a leaving time

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
At work I have a 3 month notice too in my contract, but I don't know anyone that has had to work the full period before leaving.

I know the business see it as not worth the aggrevation of possibly having a disgruntled employee for a few extra weeks. It could be more harm than good to them.

·
Premium Member
16,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for the input so far guys :) .... the 3month notice only applys to managers like myself at my current work, although my contract still has me down as cad programmer from when i started back in 2001, and for that the notice i would have to give is around 6 weeks. Ive been the manager for 3 years but never been put in writing, reading on the net though apparently that doesnt matter. Hoping the MD doesnt get funny and we can agree a suitable date for both of us, the main reason for this post was just to see if others had ever had/knew of the same situation and it had gone to worst case scenario etc :eek:

As soon as i can get away from current job i can start sorting out my new role at Carbotech :D

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
thetyrant said:
Ok thanks for the input so far guys :) .... the 3month notice only applys to managers like myself at my current work, although my contract still has me down as cad programmer from when i started back in 2001, and for that the notice i would have to give is around 6 weeks. Ive been the manager for 3 years but never been put in writing, reading on the net though apparently that doesnt matter. Hoping the MD doesnt get funny and we can agree a suitable date for both of us, the main reason for this post was just to see if others had ever had/knew of the same situation and it had gone to worst case scenario etc :eek:

As soon as i can get away from current job i can start sorting out my new role at Carbotech :D

Cheers
Ian
aaahh to be honest imo if your contract has not been changed then you go by the one on file unless there is anything on file to say position has changed. End of the day would be best if a mutual agreement is met like mine was, after all do you need a reference for your next job :crackup:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Maybe the 3 month rule is there to give them plenty of time to find someone else suitable, being a manager and all that they need to find someone with a bit about them. Liked that has been suggested talk to the MD im sure if he/she finds someone to be able to start in lets say a month there would be know reason to keep you there and off you go on your merry way. Plus the new manger may need to give simular notice to there MD etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts