Lancer Register Forum banner

Leave the gearbox alone!

1K views 8 replies 0 participants last post by  blade 
G
#1 ·
I have for a while been contemplating changing the ratios in the gearbox, particularly 3,4,5 for the shorter RS ratios, but I have decided not to. The GSR gearbox is pretty good on the track if you have enough power - but the biggest difference is changing the clutch for a twin-plate paddle with a light flywheel - that seemed to make all the difference in the engine revving up - feels like less lag. I get the feeling that I would be short-shifting too much with the shorter gears

The other mod I was contemplating was changing the F/R torque split with the CUSCO transfer box - to reduce understeer. Seems that the rollcage and suspension combination has done that, so no need to change there!

Just passing on my experiences....

G
#2 ·
Oh forgot - one other mod to do is to add the B and amp;M quickshift and to solidly mount the shift. The gearstick sits in a plastic cradle which is mounted with flexible bushes. If you solidly mount it, with the quickshift, the change is just awesome..

G
#3 ·
I had bad experience with the 35:65 Tarmac Gear of Cusco. It's not very durable especially when power shifting or launching from a standstill on the street. More so when you have a high horspepower EVO. Glad you decided on fiddling with the suspensions rather than changing the torque split.

Can I ask if you changed the rubber mounts to solid metal bushings on the shifter cradle? What about the rubber bushings on the shifter cables? Where did you purchase your B and amp;M short shifter and is it for the EVO 4-6?

Thanks

G
#4 ·
I had bad experience with the 35:65 Tarmac Gear of Cusco. It's not very durable especially when power shifting or launching from a standstill on the street. More so when you have a high horspepower EVO. Glad you decided on fiddling with the suspensions rather than changing the torque split.

Can I ask if you changed the rubber mounts to solid metal bushings on the shifter cradle? What about the rubber bushings on the shifter cables? Where did you purchase your B and amp;M short shifter and is it for the EVO 4-6?

Thanks

G
#6 ·
Have solid mounts on the engine and the gearbox. I got the B and amp;M shifter from Ralliart, but you can get it from Demon Tweeks in the uk by mail order also. About £150 I think. Easy to self fit too. The plastic cage that houses the shifter and the shift cables has also been solidly mounted. Fantastic change - instant, firm - lovely!

G
#8 ·
Blade

Which clutch did you install? After buying a performance meter it would appear that the launches have killed my standard unit (thus is the quest for that illusive sub 4 seconds to 60) :)

My Evo6 is running at about 350 bhp and I don't use it as an every day car (I don't mind a heavy clutch). I'm looking to be able to launch every now and again without so much clutch spin, but don't want any chatter.

Which flywheel did you fit and how does the weight compare to the standard item?

Don't forget to tell where you got it and how much it cost http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Cheers

Naunt

G
#9 ·
The clutch is a CUSCO - very sudden in operation, though not heavy as the cable is hydraulic. Biting point is high, which is a bit annoying, other than that, rather nice.

Flywheel comes with the clutch and is much lighter than std. Revs up so quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.