Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's my last day in blighty for a while. At least the sun's out and I can enjoy the Evo one last time. Then, as from tomorrow I shall be sampling the delights of Detroit. Mmmmmmm soft suspension, handling, speed, bring it on. I can't wait :(

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
They sell Evos in the US you know...probably a fair bit cheaper than over here :)

Anyway good luck with whatever you're doing - are you in the motor industry, what with moving to Detroit?

Steve.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve,

Working in Fl. I know I can get the Evo MR version in the states, costs about 32K dollars. I gonna see if I can lease one, must be better then driving around in a Crown Victoria.

I'm seriously considering purchasing one and importing it back. I was informed that if I own the car for over 6 months I wont have to pay excess duty on it. Anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
humbug said:
I'm seriously considering purchasing one and importing it back. I was informed that if I own the car for over 6 months I wont have to pay excess duty on it. Anyone confirm this?
Aye, :)

If you own and use the vehicle abroad for 6 months plus then the car is a personal import and not a commercial one.

Basically you are coming back to the country and bringing your car back with you rather than buying one from overseas which would attract tax.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Lee. I suppose if I brought an E8/9 back I would have to put a aftermarket ECU in it? I don't know want Mitsi US do to the car to get it to run on RON 88.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
humbug said:
Cheers Lee. I suppose if I brought an E8/9 back I would have to put a aftermarket ECU in it? I don't know want Mitsi US do to the car to get it to run on RON 88.
The US work out the RON rating differently IIRC.

I think there is very little actual difference.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
only thing is ...it'll be left hand drive (?)
which shouldn't really be too much of a problem
....personally, I prefer it

btw
good luck for the new location

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys.

Although thinking about I might enquire about orderring a car to order ie a right-hand drive version. Maybe a Merc or Porky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts