Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the wheel sizes on a Evo 6 Tme?

Can a 235 or bigger be fitted to the standard rim?

Ive heard a 235 - 40 - 17 can be fitted?

Anybody any reasons against or for this? Except the obvious more grip?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Original Post:
What are the wheel sizes on a Evo 6 Tme? 17 x 7.5 inches

Can a 235 or bigger be fitted to the standard rim? 235 yes, after that it gets tight (meaning it might fit but you really shouldnt)

Ive heard a 235 - 40 - 17 can be fitted? Yes, sure. (I wouldnt)

Anybody any reasons against or for this? Except the obvious more grip? Yes, the tyres will touch inside the wheelarches (like they did with my 235 Bridgestone Potenza 540 Type S) which makes noise and leaves marks (see picture below). You do not get more grip from a larger size, you get more grip from a different compound.

Thanks
Welcome

Also, why dont you go take a look at all my car pictures on http://www.lancerforums.com/registry/vehicles.php?vid|EQU|91 ? :)

CLaudius

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you fit a tyre too wide for the rim you will get side wall flex that will make the car very unstable especially at speed.

Stick to the size tyre that the wheel was designed for and if you must fit wider tyres, buy some wider wheels first.

If a wider tyre was better Mr Mitsi would have fitted it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stick to the size tyre that the wheel was designed for and if you must fit wider tyres, buy some wider wheels first.

That's not true. A single wheel width can accomodate a wide range of tyre section widths.

Depending on the profile of the tyre, it's OK to fit anything from 205 to 245 section widths on a 17x7.5 wheel.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Na, Ian, a 245 on a 7.5 wheel would fit, but look like a handbag and the tyrewalls would become soft.

I totally disagree with the statement If a wider tyre was better Mr Mitsi would have fitted it !!! That's a joke, right? Surely if PZeroes were better than S-01s they would have fitted those, right? Yeah, right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Droid I did not say that they would not fit but IMO I think 235 or above as mentioned is too large for the 7.5 rim.
I am answering based upon my own experience of fitting wider profile tyres than the originals and experiencing very bad side wall flex which leads to very bad handling characteristics, not very nice at all.

Claudius I said tyre size not make, surely they spend a lot of time and money in the development stage finding the optimum tyre size for each vehicle and if a wider profile was better I feel they would be fitted from standard. Different makes of tyre is another story all together. What width wheels has the VII got with 235 tyres, I could be talking out of my butt.

I'll get my coat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You wont need a coat, the 7 wheels are half an inch wider for the 235s. I agree the size is right for the wheel.

Sometimes you wonder how good the engineered the car... with lots of economics coming into play. I'd rather pay 40 k for it anbd get real wheels, Advan Neova tyres, suspensions etc instead of having to throw half of the car away!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree Claudius, just think what fun you could have if you could choose the cars spec just like buying a computer and have it built exactly as you want straight from the factory.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Droid I did not say that they would not fit

In that case I'm not really sure what you meant by If you fit a tyre too wide for the rim or Stick to the size tyre that the wheel was designed for The first implied that you though it wouldn't fit. The second implied that you believed only one size of tyre is suitable for one size of wheel.

http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Droid have I upset you somehow because having a go at my posts is getting very tedious.

I was giving my personal opinion to the question asked and I am sorry if you do not agree with it.

If you care to read the original thread (carefully) TommiMak asked as part of his question Can a 235 or bigger be fitted to the standard rim? and my response was If you fit a tyre too wide for the rim you will get side wall flex that will make the car very unstable especially at speed.

If a wider tyre was better Mr Mitsi would have fitted it.

Where in that reply does it say NO IT WILL NOT FIT, it does not. I have not used any reference to what sizes will and will not fit because as you state various size tyres can fit on a given rim size. I merely stated that you can fit tyres IMO, yes IMO too wide for the rim i.e. the handling of the vehicle will be adversly affected, but the tyre will still pysically fit on the rim.

If all you are interested in is the veiw of your tyres from the car behind you at the traffic light grand prix then fit what ever width you like, I'm sure if you really tried you may be able to fit 265 of even wider. If on the other hand you would like the best chance of keeping your pride and joy on the black stuff I would choose my tyre sizes a bit more carefully.

Would you have been happy with this reply?

Yes you can pysically fit various sizes of tyre to that size wheel but IMO if you go too wide it will affect the handling of the car. Mitsubishi would have tried various tyre widths in development of the vehicle and as this is the one that the car came with it is the size that I myself would stick with.

The tyres on the VII are 235 and for some reason Mitsi enlarged the wheel width by .5 inch, now is that strange or what. It couldn't be something to do with it being a better size rim for that size tyre can it, no can't be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Droid have I upset you somehow because having a go at my posts is getting very tedious.

I'm not sure why you think I'm upset. If it's getting tedious then don't read the thread :D

Stick to the size tyre that the wheel was designed for

I was only picking you up on the fact that the above statement is misleading. It implies that a particular wheel size is designed for a particular tyre size and this simply isn't true.

and if you must fit wider tyres, buy some wider wheels first

This is a matter of opinion so I won't debate it.

If a wider tyre was better Mr Mitsi would have fitted it

There are many reasons why manufacturers fit specific parts to specific cars. You'd be mistaken thinking that the best parts are always fitted so I think this statement is also wrong. Claudius made the excellent point as to why did Mitsubishi fit such a crap tyre as OE? What do you think of the statement If a different make of tyre was better Mr Mitsi would have fitted it . Spot the difference?

you may be able to fit 265 of even wider

My original point was that tyre manufacturers specify that (depending on the profile) 235 tyres will fit on a 7.5 rim. Some would argue that they know somewhat more than two guys having a debate on a forum and their opinion is more valid than either of ours ;) And no, you can't fit a 265 on a 7.5 rim.

If on the other hand you would like the best chance of keeping your pride and joy on the black stuff I would choose my tyre sizes a bit more carefully.

How would fitting 235 tyres on a 7.5 rim reduce the chances of keeping the car on the road?

The tyres on the VII are 235 and for some reason Mitsi enlarged the wheel width by .5 inch, now is that strange or what. It couldn't be something to do with it being a better size rim for that size tyre can it, no can't be

There could be a variety of reasons but just because Mitsubishi decided to increase the width of the wheel isn't ultimate proof of anything.

Chill.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another thread that has got away from the question in hand and turned into a slanging match.

Droid you have your opinions and I have mine so why can you not leave it at that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Who turned it into a slanging match (???)

I thought we were having a reasonably interesting debate until you started to get a little tetchy with (heaven forbid!) someone actually disagreeing with your opinion.

The original question was can they be fitted and I was trying to counter the somewhat scaremonger-like comments of handling will be adversely affected and you won't be able to keep your car on the black stuff which IMHO are exaggerations with no basis in fact. Just trying to separate fact from fantasy. What's wrong with that?

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have my opinions and experiences as do you but you do not seem to like me posting mine

Where on earth did you get that idea???

I'm confused. What did I do to upset you?

If people can't disagree with other people's opinions on a forum like this, what's the point of posting
at all?

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just my tuppence...

A particular width of wheel *is*, IMO, designed for particular widths/profiles of tyre. I would like to see someone fit 365/35's on a 13*5 rim and get away with it...

The designed width would be the width of tyre that most closely matches the actual width of the rim. To go over or under puts more pressure on the sidewall (although sidewalls these days are nice and strong in comparison to those from years back).

Going plus/minus a few percent is no problem (eg 235's on a 7.5 rim), but there will be a point where you are compromising the stability of the car with mismatched tyre/rim combinations. Also bear in mind that the manufacturer built the arches with a particular width in mind, and you may need to modify the car to alleviate rubbing under lock if you're using wider than spec'd tyres/rims.

This is all from reading, BTW, I personally have no experience putting super fat tyres on not-so-fat rims. I'll stick with 225's (and upgrade the rubber) for my 17*7.5's... http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since I was playing with a bit too wide tires on several of my rims, I guess I might help to confuse few more guys in here. I ran 225/50/16 on my stock 6 rims for a while and it was pretty soft. I had way too stiff suspension and that kind of helped for the street. For my race rims, few years ago I had 245/45/16 BFG R1s on my 7 rims and they where actually faster than the same tire in the 225/50/16 size. You get a bit more grip from the wider thread, but overall feel of the car was strange. And I didn't like it. The car felt kind of soft and not that precise any more. But, as I said grip was better and soon after that experience, I got 8 rims and 245s where at home!

So, although you are talking about 17 rims with a shorter side walls (just enough to make things difficult) here, physically you can mount 235/40 tires over the 7.5 rims. In my book they look too stretched and they are not worth in my opinion. At the end, everything comes down to why you want to do so.

If you want more traction and using tight budget, you will probably benefit from this combination. You will have to use slightly higher tire pressures all around and you will have to monitor how much of the roll over you are getting, but as long as that is under control, you will be fine. You will also have to like that new soft feel of the car, because that is how it will be. If you have stiff springs in there, basically whole car will be moving mostly in the side walls of the tires and suspension will work slightly less than with stiffer combination.

If you require certain look of your car (with some performance resemblance), I would skip this idea until you get 8 rims, when you can go any way you feel.

Have fun!

Fedja

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Me and Driod have now made up and I have collected all my toys and put them back in my pram.

No kissing was involved in the making up, just a man to man e mail. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
235 x 40 x17 fits fine
don't fit a 235 x 45 x17 as will hit the arches

make sure you fit a semislick, lasts just as long, fine in the rain provided you are careful with standing water and has more grip than a heavily treaded max performance tyre

andrew

1 - 20 of 32 Posts