Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a £550 pcworld voucher from my house insurance to replace my damaged laptop:D
can anyone recommend what to get?
cheers
Jon
:smthumbup

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
What would you use it for mostly Gunner?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Just read the advert properly as the typical 'headline' PC's are compromised somewhere (processor or memory typically)

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Anything with at least 3GB Ram, 2Ghz Processor, 300GB HDD and a Video card with at lease 512MB of dedicated memory and high def capability and you should be happy as a pig in the proverbial.

Possibly a Blu-Ray optical drive.

If it was me I'd look at the machines around £750 and tell the manager you want it ex display and get the balance off it.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
internet,pics and thats it really:smthumbup
I got a toshiba satellite laptop there a few weeks ago for €400 and so far so good. Seemed to have a nice spec for the money. It has an AMD processor, I use mine for internet, microsoft word and excel. It's a bit basic and ugly, but seems to do the job grand and is fast enough for what I need it for.

My sister got an ACER with a dual core intel celeron processor about 6 months ago and paid €560. She uses hers for microsoft excel, word, powerpoint, photoshop, adobe writer, solid works and other design packages. It's a really nice laptop with a number pad to the right hand side like a normal desktop keyboard.

I know you have a bit more to spend, but just thought I'd give you an idea what's avialable at differnt ranges incase you want to spend the rest on a printer or whatever.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
internet,pics and thats it really:smthumbup
You don't need anything too OTT for that kind of thing, in fact any computer made in the last 8 years would suffice, but seeing as your insurer has given you a voucher for £550 you might as well make the most of it.

1 - Refurb that's wayyyyyy over spec for what you need and you would have to chuck £50 at it too, but what the hell? Lappy1

2 - Bang on your money at £550, it will be more than good enough for your needs - Lappy2

Both have massive 17" screens, if that's too OTT for you (They will be big and heavy) then just move down a spec or two and you'll be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts