Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
North Scotland R.O
13,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to having 5 Dell laptops lying here that are all slower than a Sunday afternoon I'm on the market for a new one (hopefully a Jan sale bargain)
Any experts on here able to point me in the direction of a good deal?
I only need it for Invoicing, photo editing, iTunes backups and forum surfing :)

Any advice much appreciated :blush:

·
Premium Member
22,095 Posts
Due to having 5 Dell laptops lying here that are all slower than a Sunday afternoon I'm on the market for a new one (hopefully a Jan sale bargain)
Any experts on here able to point me in the direction of a good deal?
I only need it for Invoicing, photo editing, iTunes backups and forum surfing :)

Any advice much appreciated :blush:
Maybe worth a pm to pcrepairmandan

He had a few for sale on here not so long ago

Stu

·
Registered
30,780 Posts
ever thought of going to a MacBook?? I've never looked back to be fair.

Reactions: Eck8

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Stick an SSD in the newest of your 5 laptops and reinstall windows from fresh. You'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
As evogeof said, Macbook Pro, I bought one on boxing day (£1899 down to £1749) I have always wanted one as they are a far superior machine, but the thing with Mac's I see them as an investment, I have had countless Windows Laptops and computers over the years and usually have to replace them every 2-3 years at a push, but I used to have the old Macbook (white plastic one) and it is still going now but has been retired! :lol: :D

(before anyone says I am biased, I have a £2000 Windows gaming PC which I use on a daily, but just for gaming, I hate it for general browsing!)

·
North Scotland R.O
13,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stick an SSD in the newest of your 5 laptops and reinstall windows from fresh. You'll be fine.
You've lost me now :handsup: I've got a Dell that's 2 years old that's done next to nothing but the curser has a mind of its own and it freezes all the time... would be great to fix it tho :D

·
Tarmac Tyre Shredder
14,543 Posts
Im not an apple fan by any means (phones are years behind,cant customise,blah blah)....BUT...if i was to buy a laptop it would be a mac book 100%

Ive had windows pc's....but made the switch to a brand new imac 2 years ago....its absolutely brilliant....and is as fast today as it was the day i bought it.

friends i know have Macbooks,they are silly money,but they are very very good.

·
Registered
30,780 Posts
You've lost me now :handsup: I've got a Dell that's 2 years old that's done next to nothing but the curser has a mind of its own and it freezes all the time... would be great to fix it tho :D
Do you do all your updates ???

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Basically I'm saying upgrade the hard drive in your 2 year old laptops.
CPU/RAM/Chipsets, haven't really advanced speed wise for years.. it's the SSD that makes computers work/feel faster and more snappy to use.

You can buy a 250GB SSD for well under £100 to put in your 2 year old Dell, save a lot of cash and it will work much faster/be fine for your usage. You will need to know how to install new SSD, install fresh windows and install all required drivers though (or get someone to do it for you).

Don't have a problem with other people's suggestions of buying a Macbook (I have a retina 2013 macbook pro myself)...but they are quite expensive for what they are. I will say they are well built, have decent touchpad and battery life is good though.Could also be a good idea if you have other Apple products like iPhones though and want to buy into the Apple ethos.
They will take a bit of getting used to as well if coming from Windows...but if you have any issues and don't know any IT savvy friends, it can be handy just to fling the laptop to Apple store staff and tell them to fix it.
Don't buy into the fact that Macs just work though, they don't and often have issues too.

I wouldn't recommend the new macbooks... they come with just USB C connections and you will be using unsightly dongles for everything lol.

Personally for you usage and the fact you have perfectly good laptops already that just seem slow, I'd be sorting one out with SSD.

·
Senior Citizen
3,961 Posts
I'll second the "stick an SSD in it" option. If you're a light PC user then spending a small fortune on another new laptop sounds like a waste of money.

The two year old Dell will run great with an SSD and a fresh install of Windows.

Although, a fairly recent second hand Mac might be able option of you can find one at a decent price.

75 Posts
There were some Dell models that were released with issues that are now resolved. Some of the XPS models had track pad issues that were sorted with updates so look into this. Could be a free fix.

CES the tech convention is happening right now in Las Vegas with all the new laptops being announced there.

As of now i have my eye on the Razer Blade laptop with 1060 graphics card although waiting to see prices of the new XPS 15.

If your exisinting Dell is slow and doesn't have a Solid State Hard Drive (SSD) then a simple update to one would help for general use rather than a full new laptop.

·
North Scotland R.O
13,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys definitely the sort of advice I was after :)
I've currently reverted back to using the dell I bought 6 years ago for doing invoices because it's less troublesome than the 2 & 4 year old ones so the SSD option on the 2 year old one would be excellent if it sorted it out :wallbang:
If we didn't have 3 iPads in the house I might have splashed out on a mac :blush:

·
Senior Citizen
3,961 Posts
If you've got 3 iPads (and I'm guessing an iPhone or two?) then maybe you should look at a Mac in the future?
Apple stuff does work well together. Although you might want to take a seat when looking at the prices ;)

75 Posts
Here is a video to look at in upgrading to an SSD on your Laptop -
I have tried a Mac once and would never use it ever again. That and also Windows based Laptops are capable of being more powerful and productive.

·
Premium Member
8,643 Posts
Just got a lad to wipe out my old Dell and put in a new windows and it's running great now, done for penny's. I only use it to browse the Internet so perfect for me. :smthumbup

1 - 20 of 22 Posts