Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lap timing?

I know your not ment to time laps on track days, but do any of you actually use a lap timing system? If so, what do you use?

I've seen timing systems (Rollcentre) on the web that are supposed to work off the timing transmitter on the start/finish straight. However, are these actually turned on on track days?

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Re: Lap timing?

marky said:
I know your not ment to time laps on track days, but do any of you actually use a lap timing system? If so, what do you use?

I've seen timing systems (Rollcentre) on the web that are supposed to work off the timing transmitter on the start/finish straight. However, are these actually turned on on track days?

Cheers

Mark
I have a screen mounted videocam - and fortuitously it has a timer setting so I can review times in the comfort of my home :)

Also have noticed that one of the manufacturers of beacon activated lap timers provides a manual press button that can be pressed at the same point on the track on each lap - but I dont think this would be allowed ;)

Darryl

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Of course the timer setting on the camcorder is only something you remember after each time you film a trackday so you're not really timing, are you ;) Alzheimers is a terrible thing :D

·
Registered
885 Posts
Most car track days have a no timing rule, easy Track & RMA, make it very clear in there breifing that any one with any timeing equipment at all all, will invalidate there insurance and any one caught with timing equipment will be thrown out ..
so be careful..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Where do they stand with equipment such as DL1 data loggers? (this is what I run).

They do 'time', but it can't be analysed until you get home to a PC.

·
Registered
885 Posts
a few other guys use data logging and seem to be no probs, i used to use one of the rolla cetre ones on bike and it was great but they got banned on bikes too,

i never worried about lap times its more about being quicker than other cars, and seeing how side ways you can get ,,,,,,,

·
Registered
18,323 Posts
Im after a data logger that tells me the revs that a car have hit,just in case one gets stuffed into the wrong gear.

Are there any out there that do that,i am not interested in lap times,just watchjing the engine!!

cheers
Liam :D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
A lot of motorsport rev counters will have a "tell-tale" feature that shows max revs at the press of a button, should do just what you need Liam.

·
Registered
18,323 Posts
Steve PH said:
A lot of motorsport rev counters will have a "tell-tale" feature that shows max revs at the press of a button, should do just what you need Liam.
tell me more steve :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
Re: Lap timing?

marky said:

Cheers

Mark
Pi have permanent beacons at all of the major circuits and they are usually left on, if not it will be a mains switch near the infra- red transmitter which is situated on the pit wall somewhere near the start /finish line.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Liam, have a look here clicky this will give you an adjustable shift light as a guide for your punters and will report the max rpm that they have used.

Lots of other versions available :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts