Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know about these?

My mum has a year 2000 TD5 millennium model landrover Discovery, that has used a bit of water for years.

Recently it started using a lot more, to the point it would be overheating after a few miles. At this point the car would lose power, though the temperature doesnt go into the red, it does go higher than usual. Once topped up, the car drives as normal, until the temp starts to rise again, pointing to the water loss again

Its with a mechanic, who has done the usual checks, apparently there in no contaminant in the water, but if you fill it, run it, bleed it, then open the bleed again, there is always more air, which to me points to the head gasket, which was my suspicion anyway

The mechanic has now changed the head gasket, but he is saying the water still doesnt seem to be flowing correctly

Are there any known issues, or things to look for on these engines?

Thanks

Stu

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
well you could possibly have either a blockage in the radiator or heater matrix or thermostat not opening properly or it is possible the impeller on the water pump gets loose when the water gets hot and dooesnt push the water around the system properly just a couple of sugestions

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Feel the back of the rad make sure it's all getting hot, water pump working correct... Etc, could a number of things.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Probably the head to be honest. Common problem as the location dowels on the early td5 engine up until 2004 were plastic and melted allowing the heads to move.

Happened to my old defender td5 and that was early 1998/9, used a little water for a while then got worse and worse until it overheated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts