Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Looking at my first :mitsi: Evo and have spotted a low mileage Evo VIII on an 05 plate (£13K from a main dealer). It is the 260 BHP version. My questions are:

How well do these go compared to a 300BHP version?
How expensive would it be to raise the BHP to around the 300 BHP mark?

Cheers folks - any advice much appreciated. :smthumbup

Slippers

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hi all, Looking at my first :mitsi: Evo and have spotted a low mileage Evo VIII on an 05 plate (£13K from a main dealer). It is the 260 BHP version. My questions are:

How well do these go compared to a 300BHP version?
How expensive would it be to raise the BHP to around the 300 BHP mark?

Cheers folks - any advice much appreciated. :smthumbup

Slippers
They obviously don't go aswell as an fq300 but they can be tuned very easily to well past the 300 mark, 300 would be a waste of time because you'd get more with a simple exhaust, decat, induction and remap, add a fuel pump to the equation and you'll be looking at around 360-370 max. It's the 2 cats in a 260 that sap most of the power from them get them out and you're away. The 260 is a good base car to tune.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is great Nathan - thanks! I'm a newbie to all the tuning lark so what sort of cost ae we looking a for that - I want to see what I will have left in my budget!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
You should be able to get that for about £1000 but it really depends on what you want from the car, what you going to use the car for and how far you are planning on tuning in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more question - for now ;)

Can the upgrades be done separately or is it all in one go (told you I was a newbie)!!!

:mhihi:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Seems a fair price for an 05 plate from a dealler that dude. :smthumbup

As Nathan says, just the basic mods will get you good horsepower, there's 2ndhand parts a plenty on here for sale, some real bargains.
Exhaust wise its best to go for the full turbo back system, as the 1st cat is in the downpipe on a 260. These can be had from just a hundred quid for a 2ndhand HKS superdrager.
Induction kits range from £30 to £300 brand new, mine was £38 quid off ebay, and works fine.
Fuel pump isn't absolutely critical for a stage 1 upgrade, but at £65 for a walbro 255 lph you're better safe than sorry.
On the remap front, you've various options starting with a remap of your standard ecu (ecutek), this is about £550 for the first 1, and about 300 for subsequent tweaks in the future. Or if you think you're going to go for major power in the future, a standalone ecu is a good option, but obviously costs more and there are a fair few to choose from.
The above will get you 370-ish bhp, add a pair of sporty camshafts (£350 - £550) and a larger exhaust housing for the turbo(£200), or an evo 9 turbo, and you're at the magic 400 mark. :mhihi:

Hope you get a nice one mate, happy hunting.
(and if you do get a 260, the :gay: rear spoiler is easily replaced, nice 2nd hand evo 8/9 thunder spoiler and plastic or carbon fin to cover the hole in the middle of the bootlid)

Dave.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

Can the upgrades be done separately or is it all in one go (told you I was a newbie)!!!

They can be done seperately, but best in a certain order, exhaust is the 1st mod usually as it gives the best results. Instantly more drivable, and boosts quicker due to less backpressure from the nasty tiny downpipe and precat.
Only extra thing I forgot to mention is that if using the standard ecu, removing the precat will put on a warning light on the dash, but this is a cheap and simple fix, an O2 'fooler' is £10, and wires up to the lamda sensor in the downpipe. Or after market ecu will eradicate this problem as the 260 uses an evo 7 ecu settup for standalone ones, and the 7 doesn't have the pre cat anyway. Apexi power fc is a good budget option (£500), and is easilly tweaked to suit further mods as comes with its own hand commander.
Just remember that if any major mods such as cams, you'll need a remap after they have been fitted, so it usually works out cheaper in the long run to fit parts in 'batches'.

ave.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Hello Slippers,

Another newbie, but I thought it worth sharing the brief amount I have learnt. I am going through exactly the same process at the moment, and am looking for around 340 to 350 bhp with a standard 260- there are a massive amount of options. There are a couple of minor differences between the 260 and others such as the downpipe pre-cat, and the bolting pattern on the flanges so not all evo8 parts are compatible.

As I'm very new to this I called around a bit and ended up talking on Anthony from indigo-gt who was extremely helpful and was able to give a quote over the phone. He also took the time to explain exactly what parts should be changed to get to the 340 to 350bhp mark and what benefits each would bring. Mine is off to Indigo as soon as I get a service and MOT done.

The search function on the forum is pretty good and you can see what parts people have tried to fit and there are some good recommendations.

Hope this helped,

Thunk.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Speaking for experience on the 260 model. What is said above gives the car outstanding results for £800, the map is the most expensive, but well worth the cash if you ask me.... :mhihi:

I stuck a 2nd hand super dragger (£180) and the airbox mod that is talked about on here. Bingo with the fuel pump 350bhp easy as that....

Choose a good tuner for the map.... Woth the travel if you have to...

Enjoy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone - all really useful. Trundled along to the dealer this afternoon - ready to do the deal - car has been sold this morning :shake:

Never mind - this wasn't to be the one - the search goes on :wallbang:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks everyone - all really useful. Trundled along to the dealer this afternoon - ready to do the deal - car has been sold this morning :shake:

Never mind - this wasn't to be the one - the search goes on :wallbang:
Not supprised, good price that..... well from a dealers....:mhihi:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have that version, so i can tell you a turbo back exhaust, intake filter, mbc, and a tune will put you right around 300 to the wheels.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have that version, so i can tell you a turbo back exhaust, intake filter, mbc, and a tune will put you right around 300 to the wheels.
No way, it won't make that much power ,the turbo won't flow enough it only has a 9.8t housing. Who tuned yours co1rob?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts