Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a wealth of information about the Evolution and its 4g63 but I can hardly find anything related to the 4g93T GSRs.

I have a few questions that I hope you guys don't mind asking.

.Aside from the motors, what were some of the differences between the two?

In terms of suspension, I believe it goes without saying that the Lancer Evolution has the better suspension, however, what is their compatibility (if any).

I have a ton of other questions but its late and I'm tired.

If anyone could give some in-depth information about the GSR or any common things between the two, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I used to have a Mirage VRX (twin brother to the CM5A GSR's) myself so i'll help you as much as I can.

The chassis are similar but different, the evo chassis has extra bracing and spot welds which you can easily spot when side by side.

Front suspension sorta similar, rear suspension very different.
The suspension on the CM5A GSR's have more in common with the evo 1,2,3's than the 4+ so suspension kits for the earlier evos can be used on the CM5A except with evo4+ top mounts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
There are loads of similarities but also loads of differences so ill try and list the basics...

4G93T engine is obviously smaller(1834cc) than the evolution and can handle around 300bhp at the flywheel before things are under too much stress.
GSR Engine setup is virtually the same as the evo but uses smaller injectors, maf and fuel pump and slightly different ecu.
The GSR uses a TD04 turbo which spools up fast but runs out of puff at high revs.
GSR gearing is very short and as a result top speed is restricted to around 140mph but gearing and small turbo mean 100mph can be reached very very quickly with small boost increase from standard.
GSR front brakes are useless BUT evo calipers, pads and discs will go straight on with no problems.
Suspension setup is similar to evo but with slight but noticable differences like smaller arb's and shocks/springs if i remember correctly. Again, evo shocks, springs and arb's can be used on CD5A GSR's with no problems and can be a good upgrade.
Standard GSR clutch is pretty weak BUT thankfully evo clutch can be used on the CD5A GSR and will bolt up to flywheel with no problems.

My GSR is currently running just under 1 bar of boost on an E3 turbo which can also be swapped over with some modification and is very reliable and quick. The GSR's weigh less than evo's and are very quick off the line but short gearing can be annoying as you find you have to change gears very often.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
1800Evo3 said:

Suspension setup is similar to evo but with slight but noticable differences like smaller arb's and shocks/springs if i remember correctly. Again, evo shocks, springs and arb's can be used on CD5A GSR's with no problems and can be a good upgrade.
Evo 1 suspension is exactly the same with the 2&3 front shocks changing slightly. 2&3 shocks will still fit despite the small changes though. ARB's are thicker on the GSR than the early models believe it or not so theyre a good upgrade for the early cars. I found Apex springs and standard shocks with a new set of ARB drop links and suspension bushes was the best setup I could get with my old one.

Also the obvious difference between the GSR and the Evos is the bodykits which can easily be swapped over

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about the later GSRs- 97 and up (they look like the 97+ USDM Mirages)? I know there's a few around, and even some of the owners of those have said that it has much in common with the E1-3 as far as suspension goes, which is interesting considering the chassis looks different than the older GSRs.

Sorry for the questions, but there's some misinformation running around that I'd like to get cleared up (for personal knowledge).

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
The later GSR's are based pretty much on the Evo 4 they're the CM5a yogi refered to earlier. The older one based on the 1,2,3 is the CD5a.

The bodykits on the later models can also be swapped over to make it look like a 4 and I believe most of the other parts as well such as suspension, interiors etc but dont quote me 100% on suspension. Theyre still the 1.8 but with a slightly higher standard BHP.

Keep the questions coming. After all this is where you come to find these things out :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts