Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!
Ive got an e4 with a 6 engine and other various mods including an apexi fc commander. Ive been measuring knock levels, paying attention to the top right hand corner where it records peek levels ( press up to show this display). It reads 26 when i spank it. I just wanted to see what everybody else's max knock levels are(and power if you know) to make sure its ok. Too much knock=DET!!
Cheers everybody this could be interesting!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Hi

Well on the stock ECU 26 would be a very serious amount of knock, but I understand that you can't compare the knock count on a PFC to the stock ECU.

I also just leard from a thread on here that the PFC has no knock control, though it will record knock, it won't back off the timing or add fuel like the stock ECU, so you might want to find out why your seeing knock pretty quick.

MB

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
26 is fine would guess that its a spike . change the screen monitor to 2 and choose knock and rpm then change the screen image to graph.take the car a run and find a safe place to boot it in third or fourth.the graph will give you a 10 second window.you will see where in the rev range that the spike occurs.mine is in the twenties on a hard pull and occassionally 30's.the built in warning of a flashing cel does not start till 60.car is 320 atw.would guess the peak noise to be somewhere between 4500-5500 rpm about where peak torque is.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I have a PFC on my VI. 2 yearsago, with std turbo (around 360 hp) as I had problem with the WG actuator, my mapper told me to be cautious if it was going over 55 (which unit?). I did not recorded anything special
Last year with a Greddy 20G giving around 400 hp I recorded as peak value several times around 80.
Nothing happened to the engine a t that time.
However after dismantling it (for forged internals installation) we discovered a half seized con rod bearing.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
From what I have read and seen the majority of Evo owners see between 10-20 on the knock count. You may see a little more if you have a forged engine as they tend to be a little more noisey.

Started a poll on this as I thought it might be useful information:
Knock Count Poll

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
stevov said:
would guess the peak noise to be somewhere between 4500-5500 rpm about where peak torque is.
Knock can happen any where, things like timing, AFR and boost level affect it most. But thats on the stock ECU, the PFC may use a different method to calculate knock.

MB

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
knock levels

Brilliant stuff!!
Knock levels are measured as a percentage. Think of it like "pinking" levels. I was getting 95 as a peek, before Rich ( RG Motorsport )took a degree of ignition back.
Mine has forged pistons. But that still means it can go bang!! The only BANG! I want is the one out of the exhaust (quite annoying when i go past plod though).

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
quite agree mate knock can come anywhere.when i first got my car it had knock from just of idle right through the rev range.i'm assuming the car has been mapped in which case the area i would expect to see a slightly higher knock level would be on a full power run through the peak torque zone.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
knock

im going to monitor that on the graph like you said. Good idea! When i was getting 95 it would only happen for a split second in 5th doing about a tonne, when i backed off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Knock level is measured as a percentage so id assume that if there are 4 LEDs then each would be 25%. If there are 5 LEDs -20 %. (100 divided by the amount of LEDs )
I dont know for sure but it makes sense.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Marvin said:
It has 5 leds and only ever just touches the 2nd. Hmm might turn the boost up at tad then ;)
Knock links are adjustable so no figure can be attributed to lights.

What you are supposed to do is induce a little det and have the link set up so the red light flashes when the car dets.

Personally I have just wound mine up to max sensitivity. Make sure yours is not set to a low sensitivity showing 2 lights before you wind the boost up :)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
No expert on the subject. Don't know about levels either, but det sensed by your knocklink is very obvious. All of the leds light up in quick succession.

Even on maximum sensitivity, usually all you normally see on the knocklink is engine noise.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
When I tested it by hitting it with an extension bar they all lit up. However on the road the worse it has ever been (with Tesco 99ron) is two leds.
I bought it 2nd hand on here so no manual, but IIRc the adjustment pot was totally clockwise - is that the most sensitive?

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Marvin said:
the adjustment pot was totally clockwise - is that the most sensitive?
Been a while mate and I cannot confirm 100% but it would make sense and be the way you would expect to turn something 'up'

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Well I guess I can always I'll have a play on Sat and turn it totally the other way and see what happens before I risk turning the boost up a tad.
Best to be safe than sorry - thanks for your input Lee and Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts