Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my E6 for a week and I'm struggling to keep on the road. Some times it has loads of grip and others times like yesterday it dosn't. I took it into a roundabout at 45mph ish, tucked it into the roundabout nicely, a little power on the exit and the back end went out and I was on full opposite lock, dose this happen to anyone else? I have driven a lot of 4 wheel drive cars in my time, they all have had under steer not over steer.
What dose this yawl control do if it don't keep it in a straight line?
I have only driven it in the wet do they need a bit of respect in these conditions?
I have got brand new Bridgestone's on the front, half warn on the back.
Comments please.

The Shedi Master

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dont want to patronise you but have you chaecked the tire pressures??

When i bought my 6 it was very tail happy, and i thought that was the way they were, after two weeks http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > enough was enough, and decided to do something about it.Upon checking the pressures i found out that the previous owner for reasons unknown other to himself had put 35psi in the rears!!!

Running 32F and 29.5R now.Dont ask my why the .5 , its just she feels better like that!

Rich :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rear geometry could be way out.........they often are.
get this mixed with wrong tyres/pressures and suddenly it drives like ****

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked my pressures this morning 30psi on front, 26 psi on back. Is that a bit low?
That would only give me more grip not less???
As for the gomatry i thought it had just been done.
It was pulling to the lefft a little before i picked it up for Ralliart, thay said it would be sorted which it was.Is tracking done differently to geomatry???
All these questions!!!

The Shedi Master

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mazy - if you've only just picked the car up AND it wasn't right when you test drove it then without wishing to incite worry may suggest that other things could well be wrong. I would take it back to the vendor at the earliest opportunity and demand that they get the car sorted (before you drive it too much). The evo does have alot of grip esp. considering its weight and in teh dry in needs a fair amount of provocation to get it into terminal oversteer.

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mazyb

I am not sure that there is anything wrong with your car! There has been atrend over the time I have been on the register that newcomers who have experience of other AWD cars think that the Evo is very tail happy. This is particularly true of those coming out of Scoobies. Just ask Sam. He had a few adventures when he got his car.

If you drive an Evo the same way as you drive many other AWD cars which understeer, you will loose the back end. It takes some getting used to. Sure, get the geometry checked, just to be certain but you aren't the first to report this and I doubt you will be the last.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 6 is solid as a rock,I have tried but the arse has never come out,it justs grips.....That is with newish SO2 and slightly lower suspension.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what i dont understand about this story is that powering out of a roundabout everything should be pretty controllable on the throttle esp. with AYC. In fact the ayc should do most of the job sorting a bit of oversteer out from 45mph. The fact that you were on FULL LOCK is odd and sounds very excessive to me. Was wet or dry. If wet then had it just started raining, was it greasy, standing water, any leaves/tree sap etc etc.. And you still dont tell us what tyres you're on which is a big key.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the wet out of a tight round about and planting the throttle the rear end can get all out of shape ,but easily pulled back in .Now in the dry its as solid as a rock .I think its just the angle of turn in and once exiting too fast at the wrong angle the front is corrected the back shapes up with the feeling of a twitchy rear end..
If the turning in angle is far less the car slides sideways inthe wet but maintaining a forward action.
Too sharp a turn in and a heavy foot will enduce the rear end to swing around .That I have done does put the wind up me at times.
but as explained Tyres ,geometry and getting used to the cars ability takes a little getting used to.
About 6 laps around a track/airfield :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The best way to sort this one out is to try another car that is pretty close to yours. That way you would see whether it is you or something on the car.
1. You might have too quick steering inputs which will affect the way AYC works in the back.
2. AYC could be a bit too sensitive.
3. Your toe out in the rear might be too big.
4. If the rear end of the car is higher than the front, that would induce some loose rear end sensations.
5. If your rear tires are more worn than the front, you might want try to switch them and see if you are going to have different results.
6. Your shocks might be at the end of life in the rear too.

And the list goes on. So, get back to that KGB method (Known Good Beauty) and start from there. Give your car to someone else who has experience with this cars (especially like one that you have) and get second opinion.

Good luck

Fedja

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks alot for the input.
My car has Bridgestones. potenza S 01s.
Don't miss understand me ,in the little dry driving i have done it is sold.
|PLS| the car is 14 months old and done 16.000 miles, so shocks etc wrong would supprise me.
May be it is my driving stile?It has been wet when all this has happend.
I will rotate the wheels this weekend.
Dose any one know the correct tyre pressure?
The car is total standard.

Shedi Master

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mazy,

without wishing to offend (as i dont know you and you could be a real ace driver for all i know) but one common thing that causes this in inexperienced drivers is when through a corner the car understeers so the driver puts more lock on to try and recify the cars widening line (instead of reducing the lock which is what should be done) and then the car is in a very unbalanced state and the back can step out very very dramatically and spin the car in an instant. Putting far too much lock on can also result if turning in too late into the bend/roundabout and therefore getting teh line completely wrong. I find that the most ommon driving error is turning in too late and the car feels very un-neutral and leads to understeer, backin-off, all sorts of problems esp. on a curcuit.

There again, SO1's do make the thing very slidy esp. the wet .... very good cheap airfield tyres :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good cheap airfield tyres
Cheap? Bloody giveaway mate ;)

Did you ever actually pick em up Rich - you never answered that question on the other thread ;(

WOW 35 psi in the rear tyres - ouch! The official line is about 32psi in the fronts and 28psi in back but persoanlly I run 31.5psi up front and 27psi at the back.

My advice is to flog your SO-1's to the bloke ^above^ and buy four Toyo Proxes then see how the car feels. My guess is that it will be in a different league for wet weather grip - mine was.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
S-01's explain a lot :D Awfull in the wet and in the wet, it will get tail happy. If it is oK in the dry, suspect that better tyres are needed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mazy - i'll have your SO1's - drop me an email :)

Adrian, yes of course i got them .. but they dont exist anymore. BTW, i just sent you an email ......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mazyb

as BPB said in post above do get Toyo Proxies T1's if your going to change your wellies, i have just had 4 put on and WOW!!! grip or what, cool looking tread pattern aswell, hope they wear as well as they grip??
When i got my 6 it had SO1's on and as soon as i changed em there was an instant improvement, just do it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys.
It sounds like it's the tyers then, took it out in the dry for the 1st time last night and it was impresive,
I had to realy provoke it to get the back end out, and it hardly moved even then.
As for am i a good driver or not i wouldn't be as cofidant as to say yes, but i'm no idiot.
I'm not getting any under steer infact what ever i do to it the front dosen't move.
Tell me this then..
If you are going round a tight ish roundabout at 40 mph aprox and the car is not breaking out or drifting. Then you put your foot down in second ,should the back end come out, or should the AYC take over and the back not move out?
I think with the summer coming up i'll get the use out of the So1s And change the lot later.
What is the type of cost of the proxes.

Thanks again Shedi Master

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mazyb

The cost of the Toyo Proxies for me were £108 all in per tyre, this i think was a steal, an so did the guy from Hi-Q, best advise is to ring around and play one place off against another!!

Hope this helps and happy Evoing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts