Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHERES MEH ******* BRAKES GONE ? ? ! ! :( :( :(

After 4,500 mile the Pagids have had to be replaced due to them cracking completely across the material, aswell as having all manor of pitting ... too much heat apparently!

Sorry guys/gals , don`t know what type of Pagids, but they were fitted at the same time as the *warped* Ralliart Grooved Disks (also made by Pagid).

Looks like i`m gonna have to shell out for the AP`s before i thought :(

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re:Just gone from Pagids to Standard Brembo Pads

:(
hiya mate
:)
oops
forgot the gist ...............same direction as mine went............ in the bin :(

Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:Just

I found the same. I was happily running Brembo pads when I got the car, thinking they were awesome. I replaced these with Mintex 1144 and discovered a great improvement in stopping power, but the skweeeeeling was unbearable, so I fitted brembo pads again, only to discover how crap they are.

It would be nice to get best of both worlds from a pad. Above average stopping power with only the occasional squeal. Does such a beast exist?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: brake pads

I found that with 1144's if you use plenty of copperslip in the correct places when fitting them, also using anti-squeal shims, after they are bedded in give them a damn good hammering and they squeal no more.

I've used about 4 sets of 1144's now and with the above method have no noise from my brakes :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Clive,
Exactly the same for me with F4R's, first 800 or so miles squealed quiet for the rest.

RichW,
I checked out the Pagids before ordering them (going for something else now but thats a different story) and it is normal for their pads to be pitted, it is not a fault although the cracking obviously is.

from http://www.pagidusa.com :

'holes' or 'craters' on the brake pad surface

All PAGID OE compound brake pads are 'scorched', which is a thermal treatment during our manufacturing process. After the friction material is pressed onto the backing plate the disc brake pads all go through a heat-treating process (thermal treatment) in an oven where heat of about 900 degrees Celsius is applied to the friction surface. During this process some of the fillers, caouthouc, and resins are also burned out which sometimes will create 'holes' or 'craters' on the surface. Some repair shops which are not aware of this process sometimes think that the brake pad material is defective, whereas this is an advantage to the PAGID disc brake pads. Our scorching process will prevent glazing of the friction material when it is getting bedded in. As a matter of fact the bedding in of PAGID OEM brake pads is not required. The bedding in was already done at our plant and the PAGID OEM brake pads have the needed stable co-efficient of friction.
It does suggest that the pitting only appears on the surface of the pad when new but no doubt it will go down for some depth so new holes may appear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re:Just gone from Pagids to .....

Thanks for the replies guys, the Brembo pads squeal alittle, where as the Pagids squealed loads, the off set been they really did bite hard, though at the time i didnt realise how hard.In foresight i should have asked to see the Pagid pads before they changed them, but what with living 30 miles away from the dealership, and the fact i`m trying to keep them sweet with my warranty claim going through i just said change them.

They have apparently been sent back to Pagid, though nothings been heard back yet.(Though they`ll probably claim the brakes were never designed/intended to be used as hard as they have been, and as such i have no claim)

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I've been running Mintex 1144's since last year - the squealing was bloody terrible at first but a good baking on a couple of trackdays has shut 'em up nicely :) Get the occasional squeak when cold but nothing to bother about. Still not good enough for ultimate stopping power on track, so AP here we come as soon as the current pads or discs wear out...

Steve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts