Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No noise difference. I thought that even with a stock ECU, I would hear some pops and bangs. No?

It's an Evo 4 RS model. I figure I need a De-CAT pipe also. Going to get one on Friday and see if that makes any more noise.

Basically i just whipped out the two banjo bolts in the ex mani. Drilled em out to 6mm, cleaned up the burrs, but em back in, and no difference whatsoever. Maybe I've been mislead but I thought I'd get some nice rally sounds?

James

·
Registered
17,199 Posts
You need an evo 5/6 ecu and an ecutek remap to enable ALS or an Evo 7 ecu and a remap with ecutek or ecuflash so you can enable the ALS pops and bangs.

Drilling the sas bolts on there own won't do anything.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah fair enough. I know about the ECU swap. Wasn't expecting ALS, but i thought maybe some more noise. I'll stick a de-cat on and see if that makes me happy or not. Then might be time for ECU/Injector/Turbo upgrade

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
The SAS only operates under certain conditions, so in standard form when you have been 100% throttle for over 4 seconds normally.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah I was wandering this. Given that as far as the fuelling is concerned the SAS acts like a VTA dump valve in that it dumps excess boost into the exhaust manifold (so the metered air is lost from the system) surely this causes a rich mixture at the same time. Therefore as the SAS only kicks in after 4 secs of WOT above 4000rpm and the turbo/manifold will therefore be very hot you would have thought that this rich mixture combined with air from the SAS being in the hot manifold would ignite and cause pop/bangs/flames (assuming decat).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
It does, hence the pop on gear change sometimes. Works much better with tweaked settings and some -ve added:lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts