Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Do you think that a lighter flywheel (4,1kg) would be better for fast road use?

Any side effects?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was told by BTR that the standard flywheel on the E6 is already very thin. In fact they showed me one and it's amazing - ground away in the centre so it's less than 5mm in places!

This means it's very easy to warp if you're vicious with the clutch and get it too hot. They've replaced a few on rally cars cos of this. So suspect a thinner/lighter one might also suffer?

Ian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it won't. As you know you lose low end torque with a lighter flywheel, which will result in more wear of the clutch (especially in traffic) as the driver will have to let the clutch slip a lot more to prevent stalling the engine. To my knowledge ultralight flywheels only make sense for ridiculously tuned cars or racing cars which have a very narrow powerband at high revs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Changing to a light weight flywheel will result in increased throttle response at any revs as less power/torque is wasted on getting parts to spin. You will therefore notice an increase in torque at lower revs. It would be a good idea to mate such a modification to an uprated cluch as the standard item would be over stressed by the increased engine response. One downfall to light flywheels is a faster decrease in speed when off the throttle and on inclines due to the loss of momentum over a standard weight flywheel. One alternative would be a carbon prop shaft....very expensive!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I concur with Okitenik,
For the best gains a flywheel must have the weight removed from the outside edges and thus reduces the loss of forces from the engine getting the flywheel to spin.
You should get a noticable improvement in acceleration - especially in lower gears.

'A Nissan Skyline GTR with a flywheel reduced in mass by 29% resulted in a measured improvement in the rolling 60-90km/h time from 1.8 to 1.7 seconds.' 21st Century Performance, Julian Edgar

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As HH6 said, if you look at any aftermarket flywheels you will notice that rather than being thinner they tend to have a set of balanced holes drilled round the outside portion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts