Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping for my next major modification. I am thinking about the 2.2 stroker kit from Jun, but not sure if it will be cost effective. anybody with experience? i have been told that using this kit, i will be able to get more tourque with a big turbine copared with the standard 2.0 displacement. i am planning to install Garrett TS04BB.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Roy,

the extra capacity will allow you to use more radical cams and a bigger turbo without suffering from poor mid range torque. However how much is the Jun kit?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, its about 65000 SEK (about 4,200 GBP), and includes pistons, con rods and steel crank. The thing is, will the difference be that big compared to the standard 2.0 displacement? and will there be a problem to rev this engine?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TurboAWD who used to post on this board has the Jun kit, but not yet installed on his car I believe. However, he has tried the Toda stroker kit I think, and wasn't happy with it. I seem to recall him saying that the problem with the Jun kit is that it lowers the rev limit on the car.

You can see his car on the members cars section-- it's the Manuel Go car... last measured on a RR with 463BHP at the wheels... BEFORE he fit an even bigger turbo! |EQU|)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also check out

http://www.crower.com

for their 4G63 mitsubishi parts including stroker kits.

Even though they are designed for the earlier incarnations of the 4G63 in the Eclipse I'm sure they will customise them for evo fitment.

All their gear is very nicely made.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roy, the major issue with the stroker kits is the removal of the balancer shafts. It all depends what you want to achieve.

Ultimate power (600bhp) requires a stroker, but you will still have monster lag. For drag racing this is fine. Might be a pain on the road. Not ideal for track either. Better to stick with as square an engine as possible. Standard is 85x88, and the stroker kits only take the bore up to 85.5 or 86 (some a titch higher) but make the stroke much longer. That will mean that the engine won't rev up quite so easily (but this is offset with the lighter flywheel and shaved crank) and that it won't hold high revs so well. I would suggest not running aggressive cams with this kit, but staying with around a 264 profile, combined with the stroker kit for bottom end torque. Red line would be best kept to 8000 I think or even 7500rpm. With a big turbo, you would get good response low down, and big boost. Use anti-lag to offset the big turbo if you wish, but again wouldn't recommend it (shortens the turbo life).

Why do you need so much power :D

I chose not to go for the JUN or other stroker kits in the end. Can you believe that TODA do a 2.3 kit!!! Hardly any block thickness left after that!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still have my Jun stroker kit gathering dust by my side :) After achieving what I want with my EVO, which ran 10.97 secs @ 126MPH. I have stopped modifying my EVO, at least for the meantime ;) BTW, that time was ran with full interior, airconditioning and power steering. The only carbon fiber stuff on the car is the bonnet and boot.

So if anyone wants to give the kit a new home, I might let it go. I recently bought an EVO 7 but when my wife saw it she said that I already have one and since christmas is near, she wants it. Uh oh :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all,

Know a guy that has just bought one for his GTIR, supposedly priced at 10k but apparantly he got it for 5k, waiting to see what the results are as we speak! Not sure you'd get 5k's worth of extra power out of it though? Interesting to hear what other peoples thoughts are:)

Debs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With 1,500,000 yen ,around USD 11627 at the current exchange rate, I belive you can get a new block with the stroker kit assembled and fully blueprinted and even have change.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blade,
What do you mean when you say removal of the cam shafts? why is that a big issue? I dont want to have 600 hp but want to have alot of power, with tourquey engine. I have understood that using the stoker kit, I will have big power but also alot of tourque in low and mid range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts