Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad news this afternoon that John Surtees who was a World Champion on both bikes and cars has sadly died aged 83. He was a very talented motorbike rider and car racer for Ferrari and devoted much of his later life raising funds for the Air Ambulance and other worthwhile charities after his son Henry was killed racing at Brands Hatch a few years ago.

Premium Member
Regional Organiser
Oh that's such a shame. Met him lots of times (and his son :cry:) Glad to have done so, a real gentleman will post up some of my favourite photos of him that I have taken over the years in tribute I think. Shame he was never SIR John imo.

very sad but what a lot of pleasant memories.

NR555
Sad sad news, why he was never knighted I'll never know. I guess his face didn't fit. His records will never be matched

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another forum I belong to is discussing why John never received a knighthood. This was a post from one of the members:
" Four times 500cc motorcycle World Champion, winning in 1956,'58,59 and 60 and the Formula One World Champion in '64. Only person to have won World Championships on both two and four wheels and unlikely anyone else will do that. Then starts a charitable foundation to honour his son.

Andy Murray plays some tennis!"

NR555
On the same day 14 years ago that Barry Sheene passed

Premium Member
I had the honour of doing some engineering work for him many years ago.
I made a compression moulding tool and produced rubber seals for his MV Augusta 350 and 500 race bikes.
It was for my final year project in collage and I did everything from the CAD drawing to the Machining of the mould tool. Then produced about 50 gaskets out of Nitrile rubber.
Funny how you remember things.

He was a very talented man.
RIP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts