Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Risky but if u do make sure u stick plastic bags over the alarm, fuse box and other elecy bits.

Personaly easier to use a bit of engine degreaser and gently hose off with the hose with no attatcment on on.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Surely your not talking about the 400 ?

Anyway - I used to do this years ago with my cars but wouldn't now - there's just too much electronics going on in there now.

Also been to view cars a few times at a garage - only for them not to start because of this.

Better off getting a bucket of really hot water a rag and some engine cleaner / degreaser.
Do the job by hand then spray WD40 over everything afterwards(except moving belts) which makes evrything gleam.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I nearly ruined a WRX type RA many moons ago by steamcleaning the engine, don't do it, it's brand new isn't it FFS.
Aren't engine blocks coated in waxy stuff anyway to prevent corrosion?? (please no Subaru wisecracks) :)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Nope it doesn't actually as the stuff he used ate into my Tein top mounts and removed the annodising. He also had to spend about 45 mins with metal polish trying to de-stain the inlet pipe :mad:

In a word I was not best pleased, although to be fair he has paid towards a replacement set of top mounts.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Marvin said:
Nope it doesn't actually as the stuff he used ate into my Tein top mounts and removed the annodising. He also had to spend about 45 mins with metal polish trying to de-stain the inlet pipe :mad:

In a word I was not best pleased, although to be fair he has paid towards a replacement set of top mounts.
Not good then :( , but fair play to him for doing the right thing. He did seem like a pretty top bloke. :)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Aye took a bit of chasing, but then he was very fair about it, and I wasn't out to rip him off either.
BUT it does go to show you have to be VERY careful cleaning under your engine bay !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts