Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to use the EVO for commuting and planned having a Jerry Can in the boot - just in case I can't find SUL/Optimax. The journey is 150 miles which I regard as EVO max range at 90|PLS|! :)

Just read Demon Tweeks catalogue and they mention that the can - cannot be used for SUL or LRP - what's all this about?

Jerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hi jerry
i have done 600miles in my EVO7 a lot of them were motorway miles you can manage 200|PLS|miles for the full tank. wait until you get the car first. i think the longer 5th gear in the VII helps with the fuel economy a lot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry, the cans have a coating which disolves with the additives in SUL or Optimax. Apparently the coating is harmless and will burn with the petrol, so after a few fillings, it will be gone.

Personally, I don't like the sound of that! For some strange reason they have stopped selling plastic cans for petrol.

A mate of mine works at a chemical plant and is getting some made for me (25l cans) - will let you know if anything comes of it. WIll be plastic and suitable for SUL / Optimax, with breather etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tony

Just to prevent premature flame-out I would prefer a back up source of fuel. Therefore please let me know the outcome! :D

Jerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jerry mate,

Gerry cans are fine, dont believe all the crap. After all, they are good enough for the armies to use. They are well built, strong, durable and Ive never had one leak out of about 200 Ive owned.

All the petrol Ive ever used has been out of Gerry cans ( dont ask the obvious question because the answer is illegal ). From SUL to Diesel I have never had a problem with any leakage or pinking ( which would suggest the Octane is being dissolved etc )

E-mail me if you have any other queries :)

[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get a proper steel Jerry can rather than a plastic crappo one and you'll have no problems.

High octane fuel has more aromatics in (benzene, toluene, xylene etc) which tend to be more aggressive on platics than other cyclic or stright chain hydrocarbons.

I can get over 200 miles easily in my E6 on the motorway if i stay at less than a ton. I've only once gone into a fuel station to fill up and found they had run out, ended up putting in UL and drove carefully.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The s/s can is in the Demon tweeks catalogue and it also has the same warning! :) However, the metal can whether ss or steel must be OK!

:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In that case the warning probably refers 2 the rubber cap seal , but that cud b replaced with viton or fep rubber which wud resist almost anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its very rare to drive on a motorwar or major A road and not find SUL or Optimax, you really shouldn't have any probs with 150 miles. I do a similar run regually and never have any problems with fuel (as long as I fill up before I leave :)) Just in case though I have a bottle of millers in the glove box, its lots smaller than a jerry can!

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think any of you understood my post!! Both the plain metal and s/s cans that Demon Tweeks provide have a lining on the INSIDE of the can. This is to protect from corrosion (not a big prob with S/S!)

With the additives in SUL the internal lining WILL DISSOLVE into fragments and go in your petrol tank.

Now, Demon Tweeks said it isn't a big problem as it will combust in the engine (!) - but do you want that in your engine or fuel filter? I don't! You could pour it into the tank through gauze until all the lining dissolves. Then the cans are fine.

Buying second hand jerry cans is a way to go, as the lining would have long gone.

As for metal being better than plastic, that is only the shite plastic you get in retail. The cans I am talking about are used for industrial chemicals, hazardous waste, kerosene etc. - and are more than up to the job of carrying SUL!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blade , I did understand m8, but I think despite wot DTks say the SS can won't b coated , they just state the disclaimer anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i use elf special cross 115 octane for motocross and it comes in.....
a steel drum
i keep some in a jerry can but it will melt plastics,so we have to drain after every meeting
thats why factory bikes have alloy fuel tanks not plastic !

smells wicked

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jerry

I buy high octance race fuel which comes in resealable 25 ltr steel drums , I have plenty in the workshop if you want a few ?

( my engineers are often in your area if you want to tie up )

PS - I thought you sold your Evo 6 ??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jerry, why not install a fuel cell in the boot of the car? The rally Evos do that and you will have a much larger fuel capacity.

One good reason not to carry a jerry can with petrol in it is due to safety. If the car gets into an accident, the chance for a petrol ignition is very high.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It will cost about £1500 to fit a bag tank in the spare wheel well. Colin Blower motorsport do it. The tank alone is about £1200, and weighs in at about 15kgs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts