Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this simply a new intake, new cat-back and ECU reflash......can someone please shed some light on the actual changes CCC make to the JDM-spec car ? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
it is a full HKS hardpipe kit, Full HKS superdrager exhaust system, Piggy Back ECU, Leather and Smartnav I believe....oh and badges :D

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Kyl3cook said:
it is a full HKS hardpipe kit, Full HKS superdrager exhaust system, Piggy Back ECU, Leather and Smartnav I believe....oh and badges :D
A Dastek Unichip no less.....

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
And now you have no warranty you can tune your car properly, rather than CCC way!

What are you planning immediately?

Ben

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Ben_Scammell said:
And now you have no warranty you can tune your car properly, rather than CCC way!

What are you planning immediately?

Ben
Alloys and hardened internals (1000 miles), following that will probably look at exhaust system and air intake piping first. Once mivec intake is sussed (shouldnt be too hard considering scooby's have had it for some time), motec, temp probe, map sensor and fuel pump and mapping. In tandem with the map I will be looking to upgrade suspension and brakes. After that I want to get around 375 to 400 torque and whatever bhp that brings with it. So keeping it reliable and safe.. ;)

A decent ball bearing turbo would probably do the trick, not sure. <- edited to add: then remap again.

Seriously considering keeping this bag'o'shite vectra now and using the IX as a weekend toy / trackday weapon (in hindsight GT now beckons but can't win em all i guess). :)

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
GlobalGB said:
Alloys and hardened internals (1000 miles), following that will probably look at exhaust system and air intake piping first. Once mivec intake is sussed (shouldnt be too hard considering scooby's have had it for some time), motec, temp probe, map sensor and fuel pump and mapping. In tandem with the map I will be looking to upgrade suspension and brakes. After that I want to get around 375 to 400 torque and whatever bhp that brings with it. So keeping it reliable and safe.. ;)

A decent ball bearing turbo would probably do the trick, not sure. <- edited to add: then remap again.

Seriously considering keeping this bag'o'shite vectra now and using the IX as a weekend toy / trackday weapon (in hindsight GT now beckons but can't win em all i guess). :)
Hardened internals? What did you have in mind?

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Ben_Scammell said:
Hardened internals? What did you have in mind?
Just ARP conrod bolts for the time being just to give me piece of mind when the mods begin. If the tuner who I elect to modify the car recommend any other internal upgrades then I will be willing to do so as long as I get full justification on the reasons why they are a recommendation. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I'm actually working/living in the States at the moment and am contemplating getting a IX when they're released over here (supposedly in the Autumn).

No idea yet what the USDM specs will be for the IX (though the original VIII was a somewhat watered-down version of the JDM car). I'm hoping the USDM IX will be similar to the JDM car powerwise (300 hp / 300 lb/ft torque ?).

I would like to "up" the power somewhat (without going crazy; at least to begin with) but retain street driveability and be able to pass all emmissions tests, so I was just interested in what CCC deemed were "safe" mods to bump the power but maintain reliability etc.

Looks like intake, cat-back and an ECU reflash should give me a reasonable improvement.....at the expense of my warranty. Not sure how long it will be before reflashes are available though, if we get the MIVEC head (though even that's been called into question for the US-spec IX).

·
Registered
747 Posts
MTMS4 said:
Well, I'm actually working/living in the States at the moment....

I would like to "up" the power somewhat (without going crazy; at least to begin with) but retain street driveability and be able to pass all emmissions tests...............
Think over here most people are not bothered with emissions, as in the States..so a lot of people de-cat the car as I have..

This then changes ones perspective re-ECU as standard 340 has un-mappable piggy back ECU..

I went for the Motec, my other choice was Autronic, but the loom apdater was not available at the time.

So I had to ditch £1500 worth of ECU.. hence my quote.." the wonderful dastek unichip.."

I though my standard 340 was fine as a standard car, but just wanted more power..

In hindsight, would have bought a secondhand 300/320 and gone from there, but such is life.. I'm happy with my car. :D .. well would be if it had another 80 bhp and 100 ft/lbs of torque. ;)

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
mrfq340 said:

So I had to ditch £1500 worth of ECU.. hence my quote.." the wonderful dastek unichip.."

Rob, you can get a Unichip fitted/supplied/mapped for around £350....they really are cheap pap.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mosi said:
Rob, you can get a Unichip fitted/supplied/mapped for around £350....they really are cheap pap.
Steve

Yeah..but the retail cost of the chip, that was built into my new car price was £1500.

I know this because, I was told I could have had a 320 and paid £1500 for the chip upgrade as others have done.

Obviously this includes Mitsu's massive cut and warranty. :D

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Mosi said:
Bring on the Unichip.....
Mosi,

Who's engine was that? And was it proved that the Unichip thingy was totally responsible for the carnage? (i.e no other intake or exhaust mods?)

RC have made some comments that have been posted on this Forum, but surely if an engine went bad due to the Piggy-back ECU then this would be a warranty issue?

Every "Official" Evo VIII and MR with 330 / 340 upgrade is still well within warranty, so personally I can't see this being too much of an issue.

My thoughts to the FQ330 / MR340 upgrade is, if they are going to make the engine "pop", it will do it within the warranted 3 years anyway, providing you don't drive around like "Miss Daisey" for 3 years :D

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
BHP said:
Mosi,

Who's engine was that? And was it proved that the Unichip thingy was totally responsible for the carnage? (i.e no other intake or exhaust mods?)

RC have made some comments that have been posted on this Forum, but surely if an engine went bad due to the Piggy-back ECU then this would be a warranty issue?

Every "Official" Evo VIII and MR with 330 / 340 upgrade is still well within warranty, so personally I can't see this being too much of an issue.

My thoughts to the FQ330 / MR340 upgrade is, if they are going to make the engine "pop", it will do it within the warranted 3 years anyway, providing you don't drive around like "Miss Daisey" for 3 years :D
BHP, that was my engine in my VII, and it was 100% the Unichip that caused it. It wasnt like that before. The engine was at 9k miles at this stage.

The car didnt go pop on me, I just wasnt happy with the small performance gain of the Unichip and decided to go down the MoTeC/forged internals route instead - and this is the internal damage that was discovered when the engine was stripped down for new forged internals.

Your engine could look like this, and you wouldnt know it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts