Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VI has just developed a very good anti-theft device. Looks like the brake pads have stuck to the discs!!

Not sure how this happened as everything was fine when I drove it a few days ago. The only thing I can think of is that I gave the alloys a good scrub (nothing too strong - Halfords alloy cleaner and amp; plastic bristled wheel brush). Normally I take it around the block to get rid of the rust sheen on the discs after washing: this time it had started to rain quite hard so it went straight in the garage while car and amp; wheels were a bit wet. Could this have contributed?

Now the car won't budge - tried shoving the brake pedal and amp; jiggling the handbrake: trid to put a little power in reverse and got a whiff of fried clutch.

Any ideas how I sort this without damaging pads or discs?

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Steve,
This happens to me everytime I wash the car then put it straight in the garage.Only thing to do is give it a bit of welly and amp; let the cluth out quickly, sounds awful but doesent do any damage.
Paul.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

I think that I met you at box Hill. I was the owner of the black Ralliart evo 6. I have had this problem with the brakes sticking in the past. It will only happen if you have just washed the wheels and then left the car to stand with the handbrake on. I managed to free my car by jiggling the clutch in reverse and first gear.

Now, I leave my car in the garage without bthe handbrake on.

Regards

Whiteshark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah be ruthless!
You still get the sticking, although not as bad, even if you leave the handbrake off!
If all else fails then I suggest you take the rear wheels off and tap the disc/drum carefully with a mallet all the way round and hopefully that will jar them loose or at least free them up enough for the old clutch trick to work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks boys. Advice was spot on - just needed a bit of violence to dislodge the pads. I was being too much of a wuss. Now running as sweetly as ever after a quick spin to get the WD40 off the brakes!

Cheers
Steve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts