Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That time...decisions decisions and too many choices...

Local dealer says I can only fit 048 or R888???? :rolleyes:

I was thinking PS2 or Pirelli P ZERO NERO???

Which tyres (out of the above) would you recommend? :confused:

Also, Advan Sport are crap and not recommended by about everyone I have spoken too :eek:

Cheers!

Oracle :D

·
Ross Sport
17,138 Posts
PS2's are your best bet or AO48's if you can choose when to use the car.
I have AO48's and love them but they are a bit scary in the wet as you would expect.

·
Registered
20,154 Posts
tyres

I like the 888's for road us, the ps2's are meant to be excellent in the wet and dry, a great all rounder, why does the dealer say you can only fit the semi slicks and not the ps2's, seems strange
also shouldn't this thread be in the tyre section, :confused: ;)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:shout: Opps Should have mentioned...

They are for normal/fast road use with regular driving like a mad man :D (no track days)

:)

·
Registered
20,154 Posts
oracle

Oracle said:
:shout: Opps Should have mentioned...

They are for normal/fast road use with regular driving like a mad man :D (no track days)

:)
i like the 888's because you cannot get the yoko a046's in 40 profile, you can with the toyo 888's, the side walls on semi slick look bigger than normal tyres, so thats why i opted for the toyo 888's

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
PS2's are scary in absolutely cold weather - they are brilliant in the wet (and dry) but for me there was a big problem with extremely cold weather, slippy as hell.

·
NR555
7,434 Posts
I'm running AO48's, from the mlr shop, well pleased with the overall performance, they are ok in the wet for the type of tyre they are but the 4500 miles / set hurts abit

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
R888's for me, better from cold, in the wet and on rough surfaces than A048. Much better than any normal road tyre I have tried in the wet, only a problem in significant standing water - just slow down to less than 60, in 10000 miles only had this happen on 10 -15 occasions. Need very heavy rain or badly drained roads for problems depends on the roads u normally travel on.

Last set of R888's lasted 8000 miles + 1.5 trackdays.

A048's better on track tho cos they don't melt!

Mrs has PS2's on her volvo, work very well wet and dry, big improvement over P6000's.

Martin

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
martianevo said:
R888's for me, better from cold, in the wet and on rough surfaces than A048. Much better than any normal road tyre I have tried in the wet, only a problem in significant standing water - just slow down to less than 60, in 10000 miles only had this happen on 10 -15 occasions. Need very heavy rain or badly drained roads for problems depends on the roads u normally travel on.

Last set of R888's lasted 8000 miles + 1.5 trackdays.

A048's better on track tho cos they don't melt!

Mrs has PS2's on her volvo, work very well wet and dry, big improvement over P6000's.

Martin
Are the 048 or R888 same compound? Whats different?

·
Registered
212 Posts
How about Yokohama AVS Sports - i had these on my VIII FQ300 and they were a lot better for my day to day driving in all conditions than the A046's !! :crackup:

On the subject of that, i was under the impression that A046s were the ultimate for the Evos because of their sidewall strength?

Is this not directly related to the Load Rating i.e the higher the load rating, the stronger the Sidewall?

If thats the case, im thoroughy confused, because according to a file i found on Yokohama's website, and as the following list i've compiled shows, the A046 has a lighter load rating than the AVS Sport AND a few others!

235/45 17-------------------------Load Index
Yokohama A046 (oem fit)------93W
Yokohama AVS Sport------------97Y
Yokohama Advan Sport---------97Y
Goodyear GSD F1----------------94Y
Michelin Pilot 2--------------------94Y

Personally, im looking for something for purely road use through out Western European countries, mainly UK/Jersey/France, in all normal weathers..

I do want it to look good on the rim tho :D , with the smart rim protector design that the Yokys have, and the nice looking sidewall... obviously i stil want it to handle well, but not worried about its track performance... can anyone suggest? Ive probably shortlisted it to the AVS Sport, Goodyear F1 (anyone know what it looks like on the Evo Rims - does it have a Rim protector?), and the Michelin Pilot 2... but all suggestions gratefully received!!

(Sorry if im asking something thats been answered elsewhere, i really struggle to find the answer to this question when it comes to road use, not track use! :cry: )

Cheers all!

·
Very Senior User
1,111 Posts
Look at the Falken FK452 high load version.

Been using these for a few weeks and been impressed with this road tyre - I'd rate them as good as the 46's for handling & grip but they don't tramline like them - brilliant value! :thumbup:

I had F1's on my STI but never rated them for ultimate grip.

The 48's are fabulous if you can cope with 4k mikes a set and don't mind the noise - I took mine off to save them for a couple of track days.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: compound

paul North said:
i believe the 888#s are softer compound as they go off quicker on the tracks, better road tyre though
So the 888 should (do) last longer than the 048??? (road use).

I've got 10k approx. out of the 046...

·
Registered
20,154 Posts
Re: Re: compound

Oracle said:
So the 888 should (do) last longer than the 048??? (road use).

I've got 10k approx. out of the 046...
Hard to tell mate on life, if i only did road driving i expect to get around 6000miles on the 888's, the worse thing with all semi slick tyres is the noise levels, as they wear down the noise levels become louder and louder

·
Registered
602 Posts
I use Michelin Roadpilots, cant fault them, and get pretty good mileage, have used 888´s on evo b4, and they wear to quick and are pants when cold.

;)

Al

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Ive found R888's to be the best road tyre - good from cold but no good for track as they go off too quick !- unless your only doing 2 laps for time attack - which they would work well as they heat up fast

AO48 - BEST FOR LAP AFTER LAP AFTER LAP on track days

I also love AO46 for the road - side walls are awesome

Think that about somes it up - ive had a lot of experience with all these tyres

Barrie

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
barrie said:
Ive found R888's to be the best road tyre - good from cold but no good for track as they go off too quick !- unless your only doing 2 laps for time attack - which they would work well as they heat up fast

AO48 - BEST FOR LAP AFTER LAP AFTER LAP on track days

I also love AO46 for the road - side walls are awesome

Think that about somes it up - ive had a lot of experience with all these tyres

Barrie
Finally the answer I was looking for :mhihi:

And the tyre side wall I guess are strong like the 046?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Why do you call Advan Sport as crap?

I was near to buy this tyre, but now I would like to know more about these tyres.

My only options are: Michelin PS2 or Advan Sport :confused:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts