Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Finally pulled the trigger and get myself my first Evo!

Picked up this lovely MR FQ-360 this weekend from another forum member.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByN4hQW-cCnXdTBRaXFHZ00zOVFtSG5zZWt4OGNLaGtKNk5F/view?usp=sharing

I know it's new to me but my god does it put a massive smile on my face!!!

Loads of plans for the car but for the time being *****il the newness wears off) I plan on getting a few minor things and just enjoying it! Think come spring things will really start to ramp up!

Couple of questions...

1. My insurance company require me to have an immobiliser, do I understand correctly that the MR 360s come with one? What model is it?

2. 2nd gear crunches slightly when cold (normal i understand) is there a particular gearbox oil I can use to reduce this?

3. There's a whine coming from mid/rear of car, high the speed the louder the whine. Only happens when on throttle, thinking it's the diff? (getting it booked in to have a full once over anyway, just asking here for my own sanity!)

4. Wheel fitment - I've read sooooooo much conflicting information! What wheel/tyre specs will give me good fitment on 18s? Or should I stick with 17s and just get wider wheels?

Any and all advice is appreciated!!!

·
Moderator™
27,621 Posts
Well come to the MLR :wave:

1. My insurance company require me to have an immobiliser, do I understand correctly that the MR 360s come with one? What model is it?

As far as I am aware most :mitsi: had cobra alarm and immobiliser, a black fob with grey buttons on etc.....
Who is your insure with?
maybe try paceward on here:thumbup:

2. 2nd gear crunches slightly when cold (normal i understand) is there a particular gearbox oil I can use to reduce this?
yeah its a common until it warms up
doing a full oil chance will help alittle...

3. There's a whine coming from mid/rear of car, high the speed the louder the whine. Only happens when on throttle, thinking it's the diff? (getting it booked in to have a full once over anyway, just asking here for my own sanity!)

I would again change the diff oil - this should cure the whine when corning hard etc.
If the pump was not working you would not be able to switch modes - tarmac snow etc....

4. Wheel fitment - I've read sooooooo much conflicting information! What wheel/tyre specs will give me good fitment on 18s? Or should I stick with 17s and just get wider wheels?

18x9 ET 29 is a good set up and looks great with road tyres 255.35.18

Any and all advice is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
@stallion

Thanks for the info :D

Insured with Greenlight, have been for years and they have always looked after me. One car is with Markerstudy and the Evo is with Highway

I didn't receive a little black fob (i don't think), all I can remember getting is a key with 2 buttons on it and one with no buttons... It had a little black circular button in the dash which looks like one similar to my Cobra alarm on my other car but that has an ADS card instead.

Should have said, the whine is when driving straight.

Let the wheel shopping commence! lol

·
Moderator™
27,621 Posts
So you dont have this with it?
key-fob-replacement.jpg

all you have is the standard keys
key.jpg

have you checked the engine bay for the alarm etc??

I would defo get the diff oil dropped!!! and go from there :thumbup:

my old one :) with 18x9 alloys :) happy shopping indeed :smthumbup

evoooo02127.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah ok. Yeah I didn't get that fob, will ask the prev owner. Maybe i'll be able to get a replacement?

I'll have to have a look when I get back to the car, didn't think about looking for it to be honest...

Now that look very smart!!!

·
Zero Fighter
12,873 Posts
Just my experience with engine and gearbox oil. On my old 9 I've used Millers Nano oils and noticed significant difference. Engine temp was slightly lower ( engine had few upgrades ) and ive also had slight crunch in 2nd when cold. When I switched to Millers nano oils I did notice slight improvement there too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just my experience with engine and gearbox oil. On my old 9 I've used Millers Nano oils and noticed significant difference. Engine temp was slightly lower ( engine had few upgrades ) and ive also had slight crunch in 2nd when cold. When I switched to Millers nano oils I did notice slight improvement there too.
Ah I'll have to look into that! Cars hopefully going in this week to be looked at, might see if they can change to Millers while in there.

The 2nd gear doesn't crunch too badly to be fair but any crunch is too much for me :rotz:

·
Very Senior User
1,093 Posts
Welcome ... A thing of beauty :)

Brings back happy memories of my silver MR 360 - sold it 18 months before they became collectables!!

One bit of advice, don't be tempted to mess with engine and tune, you'll ruin it :eek:

Enjoy !!!

·
Very Senior User
1,093 Posts
How come you say that? Value wise?
There is that but I've had a few Evo's over the years and spent a fortune on my current one, albeit track focussed on purpose, but nothing has given me as much of a buzz on the road as the MR360 did. Perfect balance of thrills, drivability and comfort ... miss it :cry:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Brings back happy memories of my silver MR 360 - sold it 18 months before they became collectables!!

One bit of advice, don't be tempted to mess with engine and tune, you'll ruin it :eek:

Enjoy !!!
It's already been tinkered with a little by previous owner :handsup:

Collectable? Hopefully I won't lose too much money on it then...

·
Very Senior User
1,093 Posts
It's already been tinkered with a little by previous owner :handsup:

Collectable? Hopefully I won't lose too much money on it then...
Suspect they will hold their value well as they are seen as one of the very best models to own, were quite rare in the first place and getting rarer as time progresses :smthumbup

What is current spec?

·
Premium Member
10,742 Posts
I'm glad you said that , over the value. That's interesting you say that.

Not all about power. :)

There is that but I've had a few Evo's over the years and spent a fortune on my current one, albeit track focussed on purpose, but nothing has given me as much of a buzz on the road as the MR360 did. Perfect balance of thrills, drivability and comfort ... miss it :cry:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Suspect they will hold their value well as they are seen as one of the very best models to own, were quite rare in the first place and getting rarer as time progresses :smthumbup

What is current spec?
Lets hope so!

Silver, 61k, 6 owners
mods: 3 port, injectors, clutch/flywheel and 2 maps (366/411)

How much would you reckon it's worth? (fingers crossed i got a good deal!)

·
Registered
1 Posts

Enjoy !!!
What would you recommend ix FQ 300, would you also say best to enjoy it rather than mess with it ?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
What would you recommend ix FQ 300, would you also say best to enjoy it rather than mess with it ?
Surely that all depends on your potential budget and / or what you want out of it? I'd say if the standard 300 performance is enough for you, why open up a can of financial worms by tuning.

·
Very Senior User
1,093 Posts
I'd agree with daveyheats, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I've done like many others and spend £££ over the years on incremental upgrades. Most never quite achieved what I was hoping for and I often went backwards as an overall package. There are so many modified cars out there these days I think you would probably be better off looking for the build level you are after and buy that rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.

On car prices I see standard cars are now highly sort after ( with many people reverting to standard) and the only modified cars achieving a premium are those with expensive builds done by the best builders.

What ever you decide - enjoy it!!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts